American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stpauls

man, that Nate Robinson dunk was unreal, has an inch or 2 to spare as well.

the Deel Rover

Jesus that was some leap ,now if only he came over to mayo as promised in 2006 instead of staying for that bloody Dunk competion that 56 year wait for sam would be over ,sure he wouldn't give Donaghy a touch of a ball ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

FL/MAYO

Quote from: 5 Sams on October 30, 2007, 02:56:54 PM
I remember watching a pitcher in a Major League game throwing a high looping ball that dropped right on top of home plate and the batter couldnt get near it. Has anyone else seen this or was I dreaming??

That was probably a Knuckle baller throwing that type of pitch. The ball looks like it is in slow motion but it actually jumps all over the place, very difficult to hit.

AZOffaly

Ah yeah, I thought 5Sams meant a big high lob like in softball. Those Knuckleballers are cat altogether. Tim Wakefield was great at them...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=13u6aU2yR5k

Gabriel_Hurl

there's some sidearm pitchers now that look like it's coming underarm

5 Sams

The Aristocrat Years

The Corporal

Heading to New York for a week in March time shortly after Easter and heading to see the Knicks' home game against the Miami Heat, cannot wait!!  ;D

hitzelsperger

been to 3 baseball games and everyone has had a grand slam in them...great aul craic and serious amout of beer drunk b4 the 7th inning cut off!

stew

I go to about 6 Milwaukee Bucks games a year and they are great craic. TV does not do the NBA justice however.

Favre is amazing even at 38 years old and he is probably the third best QB in the league this year with Manning and Brady Being one  and two.

College basketball is far superior in terms of interest and the NCAA is the best sporting competition in America by far in either professional or collegiate sports.

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

The Real Laoislad

Isn't there a sport could be American but might not,Where the players of which there are two i think who are in a arena similar to a handball/squash court and they have what i can only describe as long wooden bats shaped like a gondola and with this they fire a ball at the wall and the other fella has to catch it in his stick and fire it back at the wall...
Or have i finally got one electric shock to many and my brain has turned to mush  ???

You'll Never Walk Alone.

Gabriel_Hurl

That's Jai Alai

It's mainly spanish though I think

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on October 30, 2007, 07:23:50 PM
That's Jai Alai

Good man Gab so I'm not going crazy....
Here is a better description on Wiki,Where it is described as "the fastest game on earth"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jai_alai

Also here is a youtube of said sport

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfByJcWY4r4
You'll Never Walk Alone.

stpauls

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on October 30, 2007, 07:23:50 PM
That's Jai Alai

sounds like the scene from the movie Tron, where he is playing the game to try and survive in the cyber world!

magickingdom

SAFE ESCAPE, AND NOT FROM CAVAN FOOTBALL

The superlative performances of Cavan's Paul Brady and Cork's Tony Healy at the Simple Green US Open of Handball in California last week have been deservedly applauded.

Brady's victory and Healy's thirdplace finish in the tournament with a first prize of $25,000 have lifted the profile of the sport in Ireland. The presence of a former American footballer in the doubles portion of the competition, however, spawned the most headlines Stateside.

Jake Plummer was an NFL quarterback for 10 years. At the end of last season, he walked away from the Denver Broncos and the sport, leaving behind an annual salary in excess of $8m. His reasons were simple. He wanted to get out before he had incurred so many heavy hits from linebackers that he'd be in pain for the rest of his life. With the financial freedom of a rich 32-yearold, Plummer returned to his native Idaho and threw himself back into his "rst love: handball. That was the game his father . . . a state champion . . . had passed onto him and his brothers as kids. "After going to his tournaments as kids, hanging around and watching him play, we all eventually started playing. I'm the worst of the bunch. My brother Eric has won numerous state titles and my other brother Brett, won the Idaho singles title last year. But I've been playing a lot more lately."

Club football in Cavan may be hairy at times. But at least Paul Brady doesn't have to worry about onrushing linebackers.

From the sunday tribune, did plummer really 'walk' away from an $8m contract? lotta bucks to leave behind...