Mayo manager resigns - for defo.

Started by moysider, August 27, 2018, 12:02:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 27, 2018, 07:59:36 PM
Quote from: twohands!!! on August 27, 2018, 07:28:18 PM
58 days since the Kildare match.

County Board might be in a bit of bother in terms of securing a replacement - whoever comes in will be under serious pressure from day one.

I actually think the opposite. When Rochford took over the aim was win an AI with what we have! There will be no such expectation with the new guy. He'll have more room to blood new players and make mistakes.

You know as well as I do the mob will be on his back from nearly the moment he starts. The one thing both sides of Ballagh share is a lack of patience..

Jinxy

The core of that Mayo team has plenty of football left in them.
Inject some pace into the forward line and you are still the team that's best equipped to take on Dublin, for my money anyway.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

dublin7

Quote from: Jinxy on August 27, 2018, 08:03:50 PM
The core of that Mayo team has plenty of football left in them.
Inject some pace into the forward line and you are still the team that's best equipped to take on Dublin, for my money anyway.

I disagree. Higgins, Boyle, Barret in defence all struggled for form/fitness and need replacing in defence. In midfield Parsons will struggle to come back and Seamus O'Shea will be 33 when next season starts.

In the forwards Rochford tried to move on from Andy Moran but had to go back to him as they have no other target man in the FF line. Doesn't seem to anyone coming through either.

Whoever takes over is facing a big rebuilding job. With the Mayo fans expectations for All Ireland final appearances will the fans put up with a couple of years of poor results during the rebuilding process?? I wouldn't touch the job with a barge pole.

weareros

Quote from: Syferus on August 27, 2018, 07:33:42 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on August 27, 2018, 07:30:29 PM
2 good Mayo lads I know who could do with a fresh challenge ;D

That they'd be so lucky as to even get an audience with the best Roscommon management team in living memory.. this is the circus you wanted to inflict on us.

Yet to beat a Div 1 team in championship and you proclaim them the best in living memory- things McDermott and Tobin did with less resources or underage talent to draw from. Unfortunately Mayo will not take them because they know even with a new rookie manager that has to rebuild a team, they will still beat McStay in year 4 of his "plan" sad to say.

moysider

Mayo don't have a culture of team building. I'd expect that to remain the case.

The 96/97 team came out of Div. 3 overnight.

Horan's team came from nowhere as well in 2011 after 4 humiliating years culminating in losses to Sligo and Longford in 2010 championship.

Anything can happen next year. But what we don't need is what happened is the 2007 scenario where there was a knee-jerk reaction to 2006 final and we ended up with a poor transition to younger players.

Syferus

Quote from: weareros on August 27, 2018, 08:45:41 PM

That they'd be so lucky as to even get an audience with the best Roscommon management team in living memory.. this is the circus you wanted to inflict on us.

Yet to beat a Div 1 team in championship and you proclaim them the best in living memory- things McDermott and Tobin did with less resources or underage talent to draw from. Unfortunately Mayo will not take them because they know even with a new rookie manager that has to rebuild a team, they will still beat McStay in year 4 of his "plan" sad to say.

We beat Galway, who had been promoted to D1 last year. We also drew with Mayo. Facts hurt you, so try not to use them next time.

Let Mayo have their episode of hand-wringing without making this about you hating Kevin fĂșcking McStay.

Rossfan

Eejiteen's "living memory" is about 15 months weareros.
If the Rhus are trying to save money I'd expect them to promote the U20 man.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

weareros

Quote from: Syferus on August 27, 2018, 08:54:21 PM

We beat Galway, who had been promoted to D1 last year. We also drew with Mayo. Facts hurt you, so try not to use them next time.

Let Mayo have their episode of hand-wringing without making this about you hating Kevin fĂșcking McStay.

I don't hate anyone. It's football. Have some perspective. You think Galway would be better without Walsh; I think Roscommon would be better under different management too. And to keep on topic, I don't think Mayo's fortunes will improve with this change.

moysider

Quote from: weareros on August 27, 2018, 09:00:41 PM
Quote from: Syferus on August 27, 2018, 08:54:21 PM

I don't hate anyone. It's football. Have some perspective. You think Galway would be better without Walsh; I think Roscommon would be better under different management too. And to keep on topic, I don't think Mayo's fortunes will improve with this change.

Well if our fortunes did improve we would be in a very happy place indeed.
I think most people would agree that with more savvy management we would have got over the line at least once 2012 -2017.
On the other hand if those managers we did have were not pretty decent we wouldn't have got as close as we did.
Johnno had good panels (solid Div.1 team) at his disposal 2007-2010 and didnt get within an ass's roar of a final.

BennyHarp

It's a little unfair by Mayo to be hogging the limelight in the week before the All Ireland final. Get off the stage lads.
That was never a square ball!!

moysider

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 27, 2018, 09:21:05 PM
It's a little unfair by Mayo to be hogging the limelight in the week before the All Ireland final. Get off the stage lads.

Sure this is far better entertainment altogether.

Rossfan

Quote from: moysider on August 27, 2018, 09:30:52 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on August 27, 2018, 09:21:05 PM

Sure this is far better entertainment altogether.
That's for sure.
Little or no interest in that Final thingy outside the 2 Counties involved.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

larryin89

Serious money been thrown on Horan now , opened at 7/2 he's gone all the way down to 11/10, just checked gone odds on now , This is a serious gamble . Somebody thinks they know something .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

From the Bunker

Quote from: larryin89 on August 27, 2018, 09:46:00 PM
Serious money been thrown on Horan now , opened at 7/2 he's gone all the way down to 11/10, just checked gone odds on now , This is a serious gamble . Somebody thinks they know something .

Horan is 47 years old with a young family. He has a decent ''real'' Job and has various media gigs to add to it. He is on a good number as Manager of the Westport Senior team that has loads of potential from a lot of work done at ground level of which he could take all the credit for should they be successful. Why would he give up most of that for a gig that has gone past it sell by date? At the moment he is remembered as the Manager that got Mayo consistently to the top table. This reputation would be lost if he returned.

Don Corleone

Bookmakers up to mischief.  Same stunt last week at the RoT malarkey. Smoke and daggers as someone once said.
Why did you go to the police? Why didn't you come to me first?