12 (36.4%)
Margaret Richie
10 (30.3%)
The Knitted Character off Harry Hill Show
11 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 33

oakleafgael

Quote from: Nally Stand on February 09, 2010, 12:48:09 AM
I'm not the "tit" who came up with the name. I do however think it is apt. Speaking from a Tyrone perspective the SDLP have a history on my local council of voting on most issues in an unofficial pact with the UUP simply to thwart SF. Similarly in derry where they have repeatedly voted against funding for SF proposed language funding. They openly regard themselves as "post nationalist" ffs, any wonder they have been near wiped out in Tyrone constituencies and so many others?

Nally Stand,

Im taking a stab in the dark here, but you are a Carrickmore man going by your name and the picture. Your local council would be Omagh district Council, the same as myself. It shouldnt be to hard for you to produce examples of this unofficial pact between the UUP and the SDLP as all the council minutes are online.

glens abu

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on February 08, 2010, 06:06:54 PM
Well I hope that the SDLP can rise again and become a leading party in the 6 counties. It is a disgrace that the party of peace was sidelined to allow the gunmen gain control.

how do you work that out :o

Nally Stand

Oakleaf, I don't need to rehearse debate results here. Before SF overtook the SDLP as largest party on the council, the SDLP worked with the UUP for ten years to keep SF members off top positions (like in newry, nov 09) Perhaps the best eg of SDLP nationalism was when SF proposed the council call on the Dublin Govn to more actively persue All-Ireland strategies, the SDLP refused to even attend the vote. The same was proposed on all nationalist controlled councils and only in two did the SDLP vote in favour.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

tyrone86

Quote from: Nally Stand on February 09, 2010, 10:14:21 AM
Oakleaf, I don't need to rehearse debate results here. Before SF overtook the SDLP as largest party on the council, the SDLP worked with the UUP for ten years to keep SF members off top positions (like in newry, nov 09) Perhaps the best eg of SDLP nationalism was when SF proposed the council call on the Dublin Govn to more actively persue All-Ireland strategies, the SDLP refused to even attend the vote. The same was proposed on all nationalist controlled councils and only in two did the SDLP vote in favour.

What happened in Newry in Nov 09? I thought most mayors/chairmen are elected at the end of May/start of June normally.

Nally Stand

Newry & mourne council set up a large scale program and committee for rural development with two other councils called SOAR. Three years ago the parties agreed to rotate chair and vice chair. In nov the SDLP joined with unionists to ensure SF could not take it's turn as vice chair, despite SF members having all voted in favour of the SDLP taking the chair position for the past year.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

glens abu

was talking to the Chairman of Down FF last week and he was saying they are waiting on getting the OK from headquarters to fight the next council elections and if this happens there is a lot of SDLP councillors about to jump ship,I think that is the one thing that could spell the end of the SDLP as a force in the North.

Zapatista

Quote from: glens abu on February 09, 2010, 11:21:41 AM
was talking to the Chairman of Down FF last week and he was saying they are waiting on getting the OK from headquarters to fight the next council elections and if this happens there is a lot of SDLP councillors about to jump ship,I think that is the one thing that could spell the end of the SDLP as a force in the North.

Please lord keep the SDLP alive rather than that. If thew SDLP are as bad as the UUP then FF are a worse than the UUP.

oakleafgael

Quote from: Nally Stand on February 09, 2010, 10:14:21 AM

So we can take it that there is no evidence of this supposed voting pact between the SDLP and the UUP on the Omagh District Council?