2018 NFL Division 2

Started by tippabu, December 31, 2017, 11:54:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Playing in a division 2 final is a lot like getting the bus.
If you run after it and it pulls away, you feel like a bit of an eejit and everyone laughs at you.
The secret is to stroll up to the bus as if you don't even care if you get on or not.
If you miss it, so what?
I'm specifically using a bus analogy so the Rossies will understand the point I'm trying to make.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Syferus

Quote from: Jinxy on March 26, 2018, 04:49:45 PM
Playing in a division 2 final is a lot like getting the bus.
If you run after it and it pulls away, you feel like a bit of an eejit and everyone laughs at you.
The secret is to stroll up to the bus as if you don't even care if you get on or not.
If you miss it, so what?
I'm specifically using a bus analogy so the Rossies will understand the point I'm trying to make.

But why would our bus leave without us?

Westside

Quote from: Syferus on March 26, 2018, 03:07:38 PM
Quote from: Westside on March 26, 2018, 12:55:56 PM
All due respect to Roscommon but the calls that this game is meaningless are bullshit. Roscommon put in one performance against a serious team last year and had their provincial title. They can do the same this year. It's a cheap title, but sure we'd love a cheap title ourselves. Cavan don't have a chance like that so beating a good Roscommon team on a big day in Croke Park with a cup up for grabs is a big game for us.

If Roscommon were facing into Donegal, Derry, Down and Tyrone to win their provincial title instead of Leitrim and Galway and the consequent positioning in the AI series I don't think they'd be brushing this off as a challenge game either.

Connacht contains three of the top seven teams in Ireland. Derry are D4, Donegal D2 and Down may well be D3 this time next week too. If Cavan can't beat those types of teams they aren't going very far no matter what province they're in, let alone the best one.

D2 league final is completely meaningless. A nice, no stakes day out. The match at the Hyde last week had a lot more on the line for both teams. This one is a challenge game.

In Connacht you go for a nice weekend away to London or New York or tip over the bridge in Carrick and tickle the bellies of the Leitrim lads and then you go all out for one day and you have your Connacht title. The law of averages gives that draw to Roscommon every few years. If Roscommon were in Ulster over the last decade they wouldn't have a sniff of a provincial title let's be honest.
It's not Roscommon's fault, I'd love to be in Connacht and get those handy runs. But don't think that Connacht title allows you to look down your nose at a Division 2 title when in reality it's barely more difficult to win one than the other (if your draw is as Roscommon got last year and this year) Don't get me wrong Roscommon are a good side but their 'achievements' boil down to beating Galway once for a title.

You're overstating the importance of last Sunday's game for Cavan. We had two games and only needed 2 points. Yesterday was truly winner takes all and they came through.

Going promoted is obviously more important but the cup at the end is important to Cavan who compete in a truly difficult provincial competition.

Syferus

Quote from: Westside on March 26, 2018, 05:18:33 PM
All due respect to Roscommon but the calls that this game is meaningless are bullshit. Roscommon put in one performance against a serious team last year and had their provincial title. They can do the same this year. It's a cheap title, but sure we'd love a cheap title ourselves. Cavan don't have a chance like that so beating a good Roscommon team on a big day in Croke Park with a cup up for grabs is a big game for us.

If Roscommon were facing into Donegal, Derry, Down and Tyrone to win their provincial title instead of Leitrim and Galway and the consequent positioning in the AI series I don't think they'd be brushing this off as a challenge game either.

Connacht contains three of the top seven teams in Ireland. Derry are D4, Donegal D2 and Down may well be D3 this time next week too. If Cavan can't beat those types of teams they aren't going very far no matter what province they're in, let alone the best one.

D2 league final is completely meaningless. A nice, no stakes day out. The match at the Hyde last week had a lot more on the line for both teams. This one is a challenge game.

In Connacht you go for a nice weekend away to London or New York or tip over the bridge in Carrick and tickle the bellies of the Leitrim lads and then you go all out for one day and you have your Connacht title. The law of averages gives that draw to Roscommon every few years. If Roscommon were in Ulster over the last decade they wouldn't have a sniff of a provincial title let's be honest.
It's not Roscommon's fault, I'd love to be in Connacht and get those handy runs. But don't think that Connacht title allows you to look down your nose at a Division 2 title when in reality it's barely more difficult to win one than the other (if your draw is as Roscommon got last year and this year) Don't get me wrong Roscommon are a good side but their 'achievements' boil down to beating Galway once for a title.

You're overstating the importance of last Sunday's game for Cavan. We had two games and only needed 2 points. Yesterday was truly winner takes all and they came through.

Going promoted is obviously more important but the cup at the end is important to Cavan who compete in a truly difficult provincial competition.

You're taking a challenge match way too seriously.

Westside

Quote from: Syferus on March 26, 2018, 05:22:16 PM

Don't be getting stroppy now Syf. A Connacht title is more than Cavan have, poor a prize though it is.

Syferus

Quote from: Westside on March 26, 2018, 05:33:23 PM

Don't be getting stroppy now Syf. A Connacht title is more than Cavan have, poor a prize though it is.

I know you want an emotional response, but this is like a first year trying to square up to a leaving cert student. These sorts of matches don't matter to us. Cavan have a long way to come if D2 finals get them excited.

Westside

Quote from: Syferus on March 26, 2018, 05:36:04 PM
Quote from: Westside on March 26, 2018, 05:33:23 PM

I know you want an emotional response, but this is like a first year trying to square up to a leaving cert student. Cavan have a long way to come if D2 finals get them excited.

I don't know what's funnier, that your mind jumped straight to a school analogy or that you consider either yourself or Roscommon a leaving cert student in the same analogy.  ;D ;D ;D

AZOffaly

When I was a first year I flushed a leaving cert student's head down the jacks.

She still won't talk to me :)

Rossfan

If Roscommon had been in Ulster Cavan wouldn't have won 47 unopposed Ulster Titles.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Rossfan on March 26, 2018, 06:03:55 PM
If Roscommon had been in Ulster Cavan wouldn't have won 47 unopposed Ulster Titles.

Seeing as most of Cavan's Ulsters came when Ros were entering junior All Irelands one may beg to differ.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Syferus

Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 26, 2018, 06:15:33 PM

Seeing as most of Cavan's Ulsters came when Ros were entering junior All Irelands one may beg to differ.

What? Roscommon only dropped down to junior for a few years, indeed they went from Junior to Senior AI champions between 1940 and 1943.

How many Ulsters did Cavan win in those years, Farr? ???

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Syferus on March 26, 2018, 06:20:57 PM

What? Roscommon only dropped down to junior for a few years, indeed they went from Junior to Senior AI champions between 1940 and 1943.

Fair enough. For some reason I thought Ros were in the junior series for most of the 20s and 30s.

Syferus

Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 26, 2018, 06:24:24 PM

Fair enough. For some reason I thought Ros were in the junior series for most of the 20s and 30s.

Did a quick check on Connacht finals and we contested the 1931 decider, at the bare minimum. I remember hearing Jimmy Murray being interviewed once and talking about the decision to drop to Junior being a contemporary decision made while he was playing or coming up so it wouldn't have been a long-lived thing. We hadn't won Connacht since 1914, which is what you may have been thinking of.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Syferus on March 26, 2018, 06:28:43 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 26, 2018, 06:24:24 PM

Did a quick check on Connacht finals and we contested the 1931 decider, at the bare minimum. I remember hearing Jimmy Murray being interviewed once and talking about the decision to drop to Junior being a contemporary decision made while he was playing or coming up so it wouldn't have been a long-lived thing. We hadn't won Connacht since 1914, which is what you may have been thinking of.

Probably. I could only imagine the scenes in 43 when not only Connacht but an All Ireland was won after all those years!

tippabu

Surely Down at 1/2 has to be in every single bet thats done this weekend? If tipp send out anything other than lads who havent been getting games ill be amazed and disappointed