Gaelic Football - Rules & Regulations discussion/clarification

Started by BennyCake, September 09, 2014, 12:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angus MacGyver

Quote from: Derryman forever on June 15, 2023, 05:56:54 PM
Quote from: Angus MacGyver on June 15, 2023, 04:07:22 PM
I made a huge mistake reffing a B league game last night, namely implementing the rules.
Penalized 2 players in the early minutes for clearly throwing the hand-pass, one of which had put a lad through one-on-one with the goalkeeper. Also gave a couple frees out when lads went over on steps, causing a disallowed point in one case. Mayhem ensued. nobody cares about consistent application of the rules at the instant where it costs their team a score.

Whatever made you think the rules were meant  to be applied?
I think it was sunstroke. The expanding bald patch cant take it.

Angus MacGyver

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 15, 2023, 06:11:26 PM
There are rules and then common sense.

How so? Just ignore the rule based on the circumstance?

Should a player be penalized for throwing the ball? Should a player be penalized for overcarrying? Or does it depend on other factors?

Rossfan

Common sense Rules
1 if a lad runs fast he can take as many steps as he like.
2 don't ever apply the steps Rule to a forward anywhere near the posts
3 don't pull up illegal handpasses especially on an attacking player
4 never yellow card a forward no matter how many cynical fouls he commits to stop counter attacks
5 allow man with ball to do whatever he likes especially to would be tacklers.
6 after a throw up ball always give a free out to the defending team.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

RedHand88

Quote from: Rossfan on June 15, 2023, 09:37:26 PM
Common sense Rules
4 never yellow card a forward no matter how many cynical fouls he commits to stop counter attacks

Number 6 made me laugh because its 100% accurate.

Lucifer

Common sense Rules

Brilliant stuff

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Angus MacGyver on June 15, 2023, 08:39:48 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 15, 2023, 06:11:26 PM
There are rules and then common sense.

How so? Just ignore the rule based on the circumstance?

Should a player be penalized for throwing the ball? Should a player be penalized for overcarrying? Or does it depend on other factors?

Every foul should be penalised. You'll be the free takers dream ref, everyone loves a stop start game.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

twohands!!!

Quote from: RedHand88 on June 15, 2023, 09:39:17 PM
Common sense Rules

Number 6 made me laugh because its 100% accurate.

I'd love to see the actual stats on number 6 - especially when it's a throw-ball for a kickout infringement.

On 5 "allow man with ball to do whatever he likes especially to would be tacklers" - there seems to be a significant percentage of players, refs and watchers who seem to think the rugby handoff rule applies to the man in possession of the football in GAA. It's absolutely baffling. Don't know where the notion came from.

CK_Redhand

7. Any free kick awarded within the 45 but outside the "D" may be actually kicked 10 yards closer to the "D"

Milltown Row2

Quote from: CK_Redhand on June 16, 2023, 09:48:19 AM
7. Any free kick awarded within the 45 but outside the "D" may be actually kicked 10 yards closer to the "D"

I think these rules only piss off the supporters of teams that its happening to but when their own players gain the same advantage they never complain ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rossfan

Quote from: CK_Redhand on June 16, 2023, 09:48:19 AM
The hop ball rule for "wrong place" frees can't be applied to frees from the hand.
It's a total pandemic at this stage.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Lucifer

Personally I think frees should be overturned instead of a throw up in most scenarios, it serves as a much greater deterrent.

Milltown Row2

Need the white spray, for both for the kicker and the lads that don't know how far 13 meters is..

Saffron_sam20

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 16, 2023, 11:37:52 AM
Need the white spray, for both for the kicker and the lads that don't know how far 13 meters is..

I know that's partially in jest but it would be far more effective in Gaelic than soccer, any free inside the 45 should be marked with the spray unless it's quickly taken

onefineday

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 16, 2023, 11:37:52 AM

It seemed like McQuillan really emphasised this to Walsh on Sunday ahead of that last free - he put him back to the spot when Walsh had stolen a healthy chunk inwards and then seemed to indicate that he'd be watching to ensure that he didn't go beyond the place where the foul happened. 

onefineday

Quote from: thewobbler on June 04, 2023, 03:03:57 PM
Mentioned it earlier on this thread but I feel genuine sorrow for those people who maintain that Gaelic Football is perfectly fine and the rules shouldn't change.

Taking enjoyment from football now involves a form of Stockholm syndrome.

I'm bored out of my wits here watching Mayo. Not even they can make it watchable when the opposition has no intent.

Hear Hear.
Despite what many on here seem to think, I'd argue that Gaelic football changes playing rules less frequently than many other field sports - there's no disgrace in it - it's simply a case of staying ahead of the coaches and tactical innovators.  Coaches are
rightly focussed on winning above all else.  They have a job to do, but equally administrators have a responsibility too - they need to keep the game attractive to watch and play.  Triall new rules aimed at limiting the effectiveness of tactical innovations, it's not that big an ask.