Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfetones

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 24, 2023, 03:12:10 PM
Quote from: Cavan19 on May 24, 2023, 03:07:06 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 24, 2023, 02:58:46 PM
Quote from: Cavan19 on May 24, 2023, 02:47:59 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 24, 2023, 02:31:41 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on May 24, 2023, 02:06:37 PM
Why is pulling the ball from a player's hand not allowed?
Would it not at least tip the balance back towards defenders against ball carriers who seemingly can do what they like.
I don't see tackling the ball with fist specifically banned in the T .O.?

You are playing the man not the ball..

You can't tackle with a closed fist, yes clean contact on the ball is fine, its a yellow card if connecting with the player

Making contact with the ball with a closed fist is tackling with a closed fist.

All about interpretation too, if that is a clean take of the ball and no contact on the man did he foul him?

So you can tackle with a closed fist?

All I'm saying is if you tackle the ball cleanly, me personally I won't be blowing for it, if the ball is the only thing that is hit. It's a interpretation of that action

Ref just ruled out a goal in the Ulster minor final for exactly that.

Link

Wolfetones

Quote from: Link on May 28, 2023, 07:33:00 PM
That goal being disallowed was a shocking call

Goal for each disallowed that should have stood, Monaghans in particular.

Link

Quote from: Wolfetones on May 28, 2023, 07:37:27 PM
Quote from: Link on May 28, 2023, 07:33:00 PM
That goal being disallowed was a shocking call

Goal for each disallowed that should have stood, Monaghans in particular.

Did monaghan player not collect the ball inside the D? Thought wasn't allowed.

blanketattack

Roscommon's 6 minute possession is surely the last straw before a rule change at next year's congress.
The most obvious answer is either a shot clock like in basketball or a limited number of possessions like in American Football/Rugby League. For shot clock, some time between 60 and 90 seconds, for possessions ~15.
I'm sure the GAA will come up with an alternative solution that they'll mess up such as a limited number of backward passes or disallow passes into your own half.
For possessions or shot clock, it would need to be tasked with someone else besides the ref to monitor. 2 umpires perhaps?

smort

A shot clock will just turn the game into basketball then. Defending team will all rush back to defend the scoring zone
Plus the clock in basketball is clearly visible for all players and is independent of the referees

blanketattack

Quote from: smort on May 30, 2023, 03:42:31 PM
A shot clock will just turn the game into basketball then. Defending team will all rush back to defend the scoring zone
Plus the clock in basketball is clearly visible for all players and is independent of the referees

That's basically what happens in Gaelic Football now anyway, bar the equivalent of a full-court press on some kickouts.

HiMucker

I know its been discussed before, but what were the draw backs to not being allowed to cross back in to your own half? I thought that might be the easiest rule change to trial first.

blanketattack

Quote from: HiMucker on May 30, 2023, 03:47:29 PM
I know its been discussed before, but what were the draw backs to not being allowed to cross back in to your own half? I thought that might be the easiest rule change to trial first.

Would work. Might lead to a lot of tactical fouls of players once they enter the opposition's half. I guess they could leave free kicks exempt.

thewobbler

I've been advocating not being allowed to pass backwards across either '45 for years now (with the award of a '45 for the opposition for doing so). I would truly love to see it being trialled at a high level like McKenna Cup or Ryan Cup. There's bound to be drawbacks, but if it has the desired effect - making it progressively more difficult for a winning team to see out the game with elongated periods of sideways and backwards possession - it would take one hell of a downside to appear, in order for it not to improve the game.

thewobbler

Quote from: blanketattack on May 30, 2023, 03:55:42 PM

Would work. Might lead to a lot of tactical fouls of players once they enter the opposition's half. I guess they could leave free kicks exempt.

This is why using both the 45s as backcourt lines is better. A tactical just  inside the first one and the opponent still has 90m of space to work with. A tactical foul just inside the second one and it's a kickable free at county level, or at worst a corridor of uncertainty high ball into the square at junior club levels.

blanketattack

The main thing is that there has to be a change ,whether its shot clock, backward passes, possessions, etc.
I guess you can't have a vote in Congress to just change and the change be decided in due course?
You'd need to have the specifics of what the change will be?

Could have lots of different factions opting for different solutions so whichever one gets picked for the vote won't be unanimous and so the 2/3rds majority would be difficult to achieve.

AustinPowers

There's only  one solution  - less players

Players are fitter than ever ,  there's  no room for  manoeuvre with  blanket defences and  even the keepers coming  out leaves even less room.  Take 6 or  8 players out of the  equation and  you'd see a  more  open,  attacking game.

Rossfan

What about the poor Junior B man with a scatter of pints the night before?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

thewobbler

Quote from: AustinPowers on May 30, 2023, 05:39:51 PM
There's only  one solution  - less players

Players are fitter than ever ,  there's  no room for  manoeuvre with  blanket defences and  even the keepers coming  out leaves even less room.  Take 6 or  8 players out of the  equation and  you'd see a  more  open,  attacking game.

Would fewer players not mean more room, and therefore more room to play keep ball??

The enemy of keep ball is contact. The enemy of contact is space.

There is perhaps an alternative world in which GAA coaches would utilise this space to play more expansive and attacking football. But those coaches are not in Ireland and not in 2023.