Gaelic Football - Rules & Regulations discussion/clarification

Started by BennyCake, September 09, 2014, 12:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh18

I think we can all agree that these rules are made up by absolute gobshites

BennyHarp

Whoever was pissed off enough with joint captains lifting a cup to sit at home or in a committee and formulate a motion, send it to congress and lobby enough people to get it passed should be named and ridiculed for the rest of their  lives for being feckin idiots.

In the the future they should have dummy motions like this at congress and anyone who votes for them should be banned from the GAA for life. Flush these people out.
That was never a square ball!!

lenny

Quote from: Armagh18 on February 28, 2021, 09:42:32 AM

The problem with new rules is that everyone immediately imagines the situation where their team is screwed over by a referee. The culture of blaming referees is sadly far too prevalent within the game. A rule brought in to correctly punish cynical play stopping a goal scoring opportunity by justly giving that team a goal scoring opportunity from a penalty is an absolutely fair rule. It does put more onus on referees and there will be mistakes but only teams who have defenders trained in the arts of cynicism are going to the losers overall from this rule.

delgany

Quote from: lenny on February 28, 2021, 11:51:00 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on February 28, 2021, 09:42:32 AM

The problem with new rules is that everyone immediately imagines the situation where their team is screwed over by a referee. The culture of blaming referees is sadly far too prevalent within the game. A rule brought in to correctly punish cynical play stopping a goal scoring opportunity by justly giving that team a goal scoring opportunity from a penalty is an absolutely fair rule. It does put more onus on referees and there will be mistakes but only teams who have defenders trained in the arts of cynicism are going to the losers overall from this rule.

It will lead to more 'sweepers' and more defence based football, as the focus of the rule is on goal scoring opportunities e.g one on one situations heading straight for goals , as opposed to dragging some one in the corner.
On top of that, the fouling will just move beyond the 20m/ arc !

Rossfan

Jases lads and lassies don't let any positivity invade the place anyway ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

delgany

Milltown Row2

So if he's dragged down and there is a player in a position that could also tackle him and prevent a goal will it be a penalty or not?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

dublin7

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 28, 2021, 02:28:45 PM
So if he's dragged down and there is a player in a position that could also tackle him and prevent a goal will it be a penalty or not?

If there's another defender who was going to tackle him then it's not a clear goal scoring opportunity.

Soccer have the red card for denying a clear goal scoring opportunity. Rugby has the penalty try and yellow card for fouling a player to stop him scoring a try 

The new rule should cut down on cynical fouling so I'm in favour of it

galwayman

Quote from: dublin7 on February 28, 2021, 02:53:15 PM

If there's another defender who was going to tackle him then it's not a clear goal scoring opportunity.

Soccer have the red card for denying a clear goal scoring opportunity. Rugby has the penalty try and yellow card for fouling a player to stop him scoring a try 

In theory yes - but my major fear here is that it's completely up to the interpretation of the referee as to whether or not it's a clear goal scoring opportunity or not.
The list of black card offences according to the rule book is not ambiguous yet look at how that is interpreted so wildly differently by referees.
Lads are getting blacks for offences that should not be deemed as such according to the rule book so I fear this is a can of worms.

dublin7

Quote from: galwayman on February 28, 2021, 03:06:16 PM

In theory yes - but my major fear here is that it's completely up to the interpretation of the referee as to whether or not it's a clear goal scoring opportunity or not.
The list of black card offences according to the rule book is not ambiguous yet look at how that is interpreted so wildly differently by referees.
Lads are getting blacks for offences that should not be deemed as such according to the rule book so I fear this is a can of worms.

The other sports get it right the majority of the time. By definition a clear goal scoring opportunity should be easy to get right for the officals

lenny

All rules of the game are applied according to the interpretation of the referee. I'm constantly amazed that the first thought people have is how their team is going to be shafted by some ref misapplying this rule. This'll work both ways, we'll gain from it on occasions and lose out on occasions. It's there to penalise cynical play and it's a very positive rule change.

Angelo

This is the problem. We have a major problem with refereeing incompetence in gaelic football. You see it up and down the country every week of the intercounty season and you now you are giving referees more discretion to administer their incompetence with match changing decisions. The likes of Gough and Deegan would be licking their lips at the chance to make a match changing decision.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Angelo

Quote from: dublin7 on February 28, 2021, 03:22:15 PM

The other sports get it right the majority of the time. By definition a clear goal scoring opportunity should be easy to get right for the officals

By the definition the black card should be easy to get right for match officials but it's an absolute clusterfuck.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

In hiding

Bad news for Johnny Cooper that rule

Milltown Row2

Quote from: dublin7 on February 28, 2021, 03:22:15 PM

Other sports as in Professional sports?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea