Gaelic Football - Rules & Regulations discussion/clarification

Started by BennyCake, September 09, 2014, 12:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on November 30, 2020, 09:26:31 PM
Whatever about someone blocking or hooking you, it has been deemed to be a better chance than the original free.

I don't know what you mean about not being allowed to be touched. I never mentioned that.

No, it like the mark rule you're talking about,  but I can't see any advantage in your new rule, it's a bit like the unofficial slow whistle refs used before.

So scrap it.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on November 30, 2020, 10:10:11 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 30, 2020, 09:58:38 PM
Quote from: hardstation on November 30, 2020, 09:26:31 PM
Whatever about someone blocking or hooking you, it has been deemed to be a better chance than the original free.

I don't know what you mean about not being allowed to be touched. I never mentioned that.

No, it like the mark rule you're talking about,  but I can't see any advantage in your new rule, it's a bit like the unofficial slow whistle refs used before.

So scrap it.
What do you mean you don't see any advantage in "my new rule"? The fouled player or the play is allowed to continue if a better opportunity than the free is available. That is what an advantage is!

That's the way we allowed it before the advantage rule. We basically allowed extra steps or slow blew whistle.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: hardstation on November 30, 2020, 05:49:30 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on November 30, 2020, 05:46:10 PM
Player should be allowed to say he doesn't want to play on and stop for the free.
+1

How would that work? You'd have players stopping for their free every time they are touched, even if it's not a foul.
There's no whistle in advantage, how can the player decide to take his free
Hasta la victoria siempre

johnnycool

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on November 30, 2020, 11:35:10 PM
Player should be allowed to say he doesn't want to play on and stop for the free.
+1

How would that work? You'd have players stopping for their free every time they are touched, even if it's not a foul.

Sometimes the player fouled might not know they're in the advantage phase as the referee may be behind them with their arm raised.

I have seen lads wanting to avail of the free and just drop the ball at their feet and most referees are giving it.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: johnnycool on December 01, 2020, 01:13:03 PM
Quote from: Never beat the deeler on November 30, 2020, 11:35:10 PM
+1

Sometimes the player fouled might not know they're in the advantage phase as the referee may be behind them with their arm raised.

I have seen lads wanting to avail of the free and just drop the ball at their feet and most referees are giving it.

I don't think you can rewrite the rule (I know it wasn't your suggestion) to assume all players can see the player at all times.
Think of the player one-on-one with his marker trying to beat him. Most times the ref is adjacent or behind him. He can't just drop the ball and assume the ref agrees with him that it was a foul
Hasta la victoria siempre

Milltown Row2

Rossfan

Hopefully we'll see consistency from Refs!?
Split season passed as well.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rossfan on February 27, 2021, 04:35:51 PM
Hopefully we'll see consistency from Refs!?
Split season passed as well.

Are you serious? It will be a disaster and the refs will get thrown under the bus

Blowitupref

Motion 20 carried

For example that late challenge in the 2020 Connacht final will be no more unless those making the challenge wants to give away a penalty.

A July All-Ireland final will be strange but we are slowly adjusting to strange or less than normal.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Milltown Row2

A player is tripped at the corner flag area they'll be calling for penalties!

didlyi

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 27, 2021, 04:57:22 PM

Not unless its a clear goal scoring opportunity. And thats unlikely from the corner flag and in fairness all the incidents of this nature have occurred directly in front of goal.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: didlyi on February 27, 2021, 05:19:36 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 27, 2021, 04:57:22 PM

Not unless its a clear goal scoring opportunity. And thats unlikely from the corner flag and in fairness all the incidents of this nature have occurred directly in front of goal.

In hurling I've seen some great goals were lads have evaded 'tackles' along the line to score goals, it'll still be refs discretion though,  his interpretation

Angelo

This is an absolute recipe for disaster.

Imagine giving someone like Maurice Deegan or David Gough even more discretion to make the game all about them and their big decision.

Congress has always been way out of touch with the players and management but it's really gone another level in the past few years. They are destroying the game with advanced marks, sin bins, kickouts etc now.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

lenny

Quote from: Blowitupref on February 27, 2021, 04:40:29 PM
Motion 20 carried

For example that late challenge in the 2020 Connacht final will be no more unless those making the challenge wants to give away a penalty.

A July All-Ireland final will be strange but we are slowly adjusting to strange or less than normal.

Brilliant, this rule should cut out a lot of cynicism. There will of course be mistakes but overall a really positive move.

Tubberman

Quote from: Angelo on February 27, 2021, 06:10:23 PM
This is an absolute recipe for disaster.

Imagine giving someone like Maurice Deegan or David Gough even more discretion to make the game all about them and their big decision.

Congress has always been way out of touch with the players and management but it's really gone another level in the past few years. They are destroying the game with advanced marks, sin bins, kickouts etc now.

I fear you may actually be right. 
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."