Your earliest sporting memories?

Started by Boycey, April 23, 2016, 11:15:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

No wides

Quote from: ziggysego on April 23, 2016, 04:05:51 PM
Watching Frank McGuigan put 11 pass Armagh in the 1984 Ulster Final.

I was only 4 at the time
, so it's a rather hazy memory.  To be honest, I remember the sandwiches and flask of tea more than the actual match.

Bullshit, maddey up memory there ziggs.

passedit

Earliest sporting related memory was my Da returning from 68 AI final and booting a green white and gold football up the stairs. We replayed the match on the landing.

First game I attended was Tullylish/Laurencetown (not sure which) v Clonduff/Hilltown (not sure which) in Hilltown late sixties possibly1970. Watched the first ten minutes got bored and played in the stream at the back of the bank for the rest of the game.

First soccerball game I remember watching was the 71 FA cup final. Well I watched it up to thon bstd Charlie George scored. Couldnt watch it after that.
First County game was the 1973 Ulster Final nuff said.

Considering how long ago it was (1972) I can actually vividly remember my first ever organised game of football. v Annaclone PS with the whole
school watching (maybe 60 kids) felt like an all ireland to me. I remember our keeper scoring a point from a kick out which will give you an idea of how big the pitch was. I can remember nothing of the last ever game I played (2014).
Don't Panic

omaghjoe

Quote from: laoislad on April 25, 2016, 09:06:57 AM
Quote from: omaghjoe on April 25, 2016, 08:10:22 AM
I might mind Taylor winning the snooker in 85 but not sure
I think I remember Argentina win in Mexico in 86
I defo remember Tyrone v Kerry in 86
First match was the first round against Antrim in 87 in Omagh I think someone could verify
Why would you mind Taylor winning?

Sure why do ye mind anythin? Ye just mind

muppet

Quote from: omaghjoe on April 25, 2016, 05:31:19 PM
Quote from: laoislad on April 25, 2016, 09:06:57 AM
Quote from: omaghjoe on April 25, 2016, 08:10:22 AM
I might mind Taylor winning the snooker in 85 but not sure
I think I remember Argentina win in Mexico in 86
I defo remember Tyrone v Kerry in 86
First match was the first round against Antrim in 87 in Omagh I think someone could verify
Why would you mind Taylor winning?

Sure why do ye mind anythin? Ye just mind

Does Taylor need that much minding?

MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

I didn't mind Taylor winning, I liked him.

As for my earliest sporting memory, I was born in summer of 73, so I vaguely recall some of the 78 World Cup. I can't remember any of the GAA apart from my father playing. Obviously I remember Offaly winning in 1981, but I was 8 by then, so you'd expect that :) I remember the League Cup replay between Liverpool and West Ham in 1981. That's about it. There was a lot less sport on TV back then, so it's mostly sounds, smells and vague impressions of 'crowds' that I remember being very young. Of course from 1981 onwards, I remember everything vividly.

ziggysego

Quote from: No wides on April 25, 2016, 10:42:21 AM

I was only 4 at the time
, so it's a rather hazy memory.  To be honest, I remember the sandwiches and flask of tea more than the actual match.

Like I say,  vague memory of it and it's mostly eating sandwiches and drinking tea.
Testing Accessibility

Puckoon

Was born in late 1980 - earliest memory is 86 World Cup and the big deal that Gary Linker was. No stand out memories from the WC, just remember watching games with my dad in the evenings. Remember the 86 AISF and AIF

Have very strong memories of watching the BBC show the morning after Sandy Lyle won the 88 Masters, and the Ben Johnson/Carl Lewis at Seoul 88.

Clov

Quote from: ziggysego on April 25, 2016, 06:01:06 PM
Quote from: No wides on April 25, 2016, 10:42:21 AM

I was only 4 at the time

Like I say,  vague memory of it and it's mostly eating sandwiches and drinking tea.

Infantile amnesia begins to alleviate around 2.5 years of age, so there is no principled reason why you shouldn't remember a sporting event from the age of 4.

My earliest sporting memory is my first visit to Croke Park, aged 6, to see the 1983 national league final between Armagh and Down. Remember very little about the day, other than roughly where we sitting (lower Cusack i think near  the Hill end) and that Down won.   
"One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit"

omaghjoe

Do yis only mind month's in the south?

tonto1888

was born in 1980. I remember the Euros of 88, Celtic's centenary double and the FA Cup final from that year. Before that things are hazy though I do remember going to watch some Armagh games and Love Street 86

laoislad

Quote from: omaghjoe on April 27, 2016, 05:23:43 AM

Why would we mind a month?
I suppose I don't really like January very much.The rest of them I don't mind at all.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Billys Boots on April 25, 2016, 09:07:33 AM
1974 World Cup - to this day I remember being particularly impressed (for no reason I can remember) by a Yugoslav called Dragan Džajić, who hit the post in some game.  I spent days in the garden trying to hit the post with shots from everywhere.  I think I was more impressed by the paraphenalia - magazine stuff (Shoot! etc.) and player cards, than the football itself.  Scotland were the only 'locals' involved and I wasn't terribly impressed by them, even though there were 5 Super Leeds representatives on the squad.  Cruyff was there, obviously, and the rest is history.

;D

Love it Billy - the second phase of that World Cup seemed to be played throughout torrential downpours and I recall me and a mate taking every opportunity to go out into his garden to play football when it was raining heavily, much to the annoyance of his mum!!  :D

Edited to say - the photo above is of that classic West Germany v Poland game in Frankfurt, and not me and my mate in his garden!   :P

Billys Boots

Thanks for the edit Rufus, it looked like yourself in a classic pose on the flat of your back in the muck.  :P
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Billys Boots on April 27, 2016, 08:56:30 AM
Thanks for the edit Rufus, it looked like yourself in a classic pose on the flat of your back in the muck.  :P

;D

You know me too well!!

omaghjoe

Quote from: laoislad on April 27, 2016, 08:22:58 AM
Quote from: omaghjoe on April 27, 2016, 05:23:43 AM

Why would we mind a month?
I suppose I don't really like January very much.The rest of them I don't mind at all.

No month's mind at all then?