RG at arms length

Started by seafoid, May 15, 2023, 11:40:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on May 18, 2023, 08:54:40 AM
Whatever the finer points about extrapolation and assumptions, the fact that there are over 25,000 DV cases reported per year is absolutely depressing.

We need to do more to educate our boys and young men

Reported being the main thing, If Mrs Gallagher hadn't reported something for nearly 25 years, then this could be typically something that's happening..

As for educating them yes that could certainly help, but monkey sees monkey does, and to that end it probably comes across being normal.

I just don't get the mindset if I'm being honest, seems like a lot of effort to be controlling people
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Quote from: Dabh on May 18, 2023, 08:55:14 AM
Quote from: seafoid on May 18, 2023, 08:28:49 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on May 18, 2023, 07:55:29 AM
GAA people are still people and they will be some bad ones in there - it's the same in any walk of life. It's the same in any organisation- if the organisation know nothing about someone's wrongdoings it is not the organisation's fault at all. You have a problem if the organisation knew about an individual and let them carry on regardless.

Statistically I would say it would be low enough so it would be a stretch to say countless mind you...
If there were 25,000 Domestic Violence cases last year say there are 50,000 perpetrators overall
The population is 5 million. Perpetrators are all men, say
50,000/2500000= 2%
That's one in 50.

according to Womens Aid
https://www.womensaid.ie/about/policy/natintstats.html

One in four women in Ireland who have been in a relationship have been abused by a current or former partner.

14% of women in Ireland have experienced physical violence by a partner (current or former) since age 15
6% of Irish women have experienced sexual violence
31% of women have experienced psychological violence by a current or former partner since age 15

Frightening stats

One in four... jesus christ.

Armagh18

Quote from: tbrick18 on May 17, 2023, 07:38:48 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on May 17, 2023, 05:37:22 PM
Quote from: Mourne Red on May 17, 2023, 05:26:45 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on May 17, 2023, 05:24:36 PM
Got two unexpected Ulster's with Derry, serious achievement and Derry will more than likely return back into the pack now he has left.

I don't think youse will nrico.. Great club scene going atm looking in from outside and you've had great underage teams past few years.. Them senior titles youngsters can see there's something for them to join

Always had strongest club scene in Ulster and good underage sides, need someone special to harmonise it all together.

I think that's a myth about having the strongest club scene in ulster.
When Crossmaglen dominated Armagh for years it didn't mean they had the best club scene, only that they had one top class club.
Derry have had 2 top class clubs over the last 10 years in slaughtneil and Glen.
I actually think Tyrone club scene is the most competitive in ulster, there's realistically 5 or 6 teams with a chance of winning the championship. They don't do well in ulster interestingly.

In my opinion, one or two top clubs can be enough to generate a serious intercounty side but only temporarily.
A more competitive club championship should provide a more stable senior team over a prolonged period and I think that explains Tyrone and also why Armagh peaked for a while.

Derry have about 5 years I reckon with thus squad being able to challenge, but another club or two could rise too to keep us there.
Not this one again. ;)

Just on the Armagh championship, there were some superb teams challenging Cross throughout their dominant years, a lot of their toughest games came in Armagh but obviously no one got over the line until Ogs in 2010 and Cullyhanna (who then lost the final) in 2016 or 2017. Dromintee, Mullaghbawn, Pearse Ogs, Cullyhanna to name a few would have been pushing Cross hard at various stages over their dominant years.

Rossfan

There are more teams in with a realistic chance of winning  Tailteann than Sam.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ClubScene13

Quote from: Armagh18 on May 18, 2023, 09:21:28 AM
Got two unexpected Ulster's with Derry, serious achievement and Derry will more than likely return back into the pack now he has left.

I don't think youse will nrico.. Great club scene going atm looking in from outside and you've had great underage teams past few years.. Them senior titles youngsters can see there's something for them to join

Always had strongest club scene in Ulster and good underage sides, need someone special to harmonise it all together.

When Crossmaglen dominated Armagh for years it didn't mean they had the best club scene, only that they had one top class club.
Derry have had 2 top class clubs over the last 10 years in slaughtneil and Glen.
I actually think Tyrone club scene is the most competitive in ulster, there's realistically 5 or 6 teams with a chance of winning the championship. They don't do well in ulster interestingly.

In my opinion, one or two top clubs can be enough to generate a serious intercounty side but only temporarily.
A more competitive club championship should provide a more stable senior team over a prolonged period and I think that explains Tyrone and also why Armagh peaked for a while.

Derry have about 5 years I reckon with thus squad being able to challenge, but another club or two could rise too to keep us there.
Not this one again. ;)

Just on the Armagh championship, there were some superb teams challenging Cross throughout their dominant years, a lot of their toughest games came in Armagh but obviously no one got over the line until Ogs in 2010 and Cullyhanna (who then lost the final) in 2016 or 2017. Dromintee, Mullaghbawn, Pearse Ogs, Cullyhanna to name a few would have been pushing Cross hard at various stages over their dominant years.

Please do not die on this hill

smelmoth

Quote from: JoG2 on May 17, 2023, 09:25:55 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on May 17, 2023, 08:33:43 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 17, 2023, 07:02:55 PM
I don't really care how other view Derry, we were playing Division 4, 4yrs ago and now got as many Ulster titles as:we had the previous, 30yrs. So it's carry on regardless, Derry people know there limits, No proper right sided free taker. No def man that convert 45's or long range frees. Need about 2 forwards, 1 back, plus better use of the bench. Derry underage got to 7 minor finals in 9yrs.If Meenagh stays or O'Rourke come on I think a no. Of players who dropped off the panel will be looked at it again. E Bradley and J Doherty strengthened the Panel, Brown may be bck from Australia, the guys of U-20 be a year older. Derry need find a few forwards, the Downeys moving to Antrim I don't think help their case county fball wise.

Perfectly fine to want your county to win and to enjoy it when they do. Nothing wrong with not caring what other people think.

My only problem was people claiming that Derry are attacking and that people saying otherwise were lacking in understanding. Each of these are manifestly untrue.

Imagine 2 counties you are not connected with playing that style of football in the AI final - Who would watch?

I can enjoy watching Shane McGuigan drop the shoulder, change direction and curl the ball over the bar. I really don't have any interest in watching Niall Toner prove how fit and diligent he is. No harm to NT I just picked his name because I couldn't remember him going forward on Sunday. It seemed to me that every time he got the ball in play that he turned and soloed away from goal and looked for a risk free fist pass. That's just dull to watch. No risk. No spark. No excitement. Just playing percentages. He has his medal though and a big cup to drink from.

It's possible that in our own thirst for success that Armagh ruin the game in order to achieve success. A great part of this year's league looked that way. God help us if that ever happens.

2 counties racking up the guts of 3:34 between them in the showpiece and you'd consider not tuning in?

Firstly I don't know where your 3:34 comes from. Not saying that it is automatically wrong, I just don't know it's providence.

I don't necessarily attribute "high scoring" with "attacking" or "exciting". There are risk free ways of attacking. If they resultant efforts go over the bar in one match and wide in another I wouldn't automatically conclude that the first match was entertaining and the second not.

It a team attacks and moves the ball quickly, creating one on ones, and the defenders best the one on ones then I'm a happy punter.

trailer

Whatever the finer points about extrapolation and assumptions, the fact that there are over 25,000 DV cases reported per year is absolutely depressing.

The North is one of the most dangerous places to be a woman in Europe. DV is a pandemic. RG is the tip of the iceberg. But he showed us. His aggressive behaviour on the side line was a sneak peak. These people can be confrontational, nasty and extremely aggressive.

tonto1888

Quote from: ClubScene13 on May 18, 2023, 09:49:06 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on May 18, 2023, 09:21:28 AM

Not this one again. ;)

Please do not die on this hill

which hill would that be

LeoMc

Quote from: JPO on May 17, 2023, 10:08:40 PM
He's a class forward no doubt but showed leadership?Really? Forwards are meant to take on defenders and score,simple. I do hope Armagh revert to the playing style of last year. Mimicking Derrys style will get them only so far before they are embarrassed like Derry were last year against Galway and this year in the div. 2 final against Dublin. Armagh are better than that. They were great to watch until this year. The fear of losing perhaps? Two young relatives  of mine were taken to Croke park last year for their  first  time  to watch the Galway Armagh game and were completely blown away by the spectacle. They started training with a local club this spring and spent every session without once kicking a ball..A modern well paid manager in charge and they were taught none of the basic skills. They watched two games on tv , one involving Donegal and the other involving Derry. They are now playing soccer. This is the problem with people like RG and many others at club and county level all over Ireland. They are destroying a great game and they even don't care.
At what age did these young relatives start playing that they were being coached by a well paid manager?

imtommygunn

Milltown Row2

Quote from: trailer on May 18, 2023, 11:00:57 AM

The North is one of the most dangerous places to be a woman in Europe. DV is a pandemic. RG is the tip of the iceberg. But he showed us. His aggressive behaviour on the side line was a sneak peak. These people can be confrontational, nasty and extremely aggressive.

Been to any club games lately? Going by that daft assessment we'd have hundreds of coaches that would fit your view?

Christ, its ok to dislike someone but get confused with passion/will to win/competitiveness and beating women up
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trailer

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 18, 2023, 12:48:44 PM

Been to any club games lately? Going by that daft assessment we'd have hundreds of coaches that would fit your view?

Christ, its ok to dislike someone but get confused with passion/will to win/competitiveness and beating women up

RG is far beyond what was acceptable.
Shouting and ranting at opposition players
Shouting and ranting at opposition management
Shouting and ranting at his own players
Aggressively celebrating scores against teams including teams Derry were 10+ points better than

Calling it passion is an excuse. It all paints a picture of an extremely aggressive and confrontational person. I had called his behaviour out in threads before only for the Mods (wrongly in my view) to delete the posts.

JPO

10 and 12 years old. An outside  coach/ manager brought in to oversee underage teams . Paid for by volunteers raising money. He has all the coaching badges etc and can speak the lingo. Very impressive things  such as : High press ,  mental strength ,  turnovers, percentage pass , shot selection , leadership qualities, game management , shot to score ratio ,  the loop ,  off the shoulder ....blah blah blah.  There's money to be made talking  like this .A lot of money. It's estimated 60 % of  spending  by all clubs is on managers /  coaches. These parasites are contributing to the dire state football is in today.

JPO

A forward is on a football team to score or create scores. If he doesn't then he is substituted. This is the case in football at all levels , from underage to reserve club teams to county teams. "Leadership" sounds great as does the modern phrase  " the high press" which basically mark your opponent for the kickouts as players have been taught to do for years. It's nothing new  of course but  using terms like this can get you a job  as a manager or a pundit  and hence money.

Armamike

Quote from: trailer on May 18, 2023, 12:59:33 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 18, 2023, 12:48:44 PM

RG is far beyond what was acceptable.
Shouting and ranting at opposition players
Shouting and ranting at opposition management
Shouting and ranting at his own players
Aggressively celebrating scores against teams including teams Derry were 10+ points better than

Calling it passion is an excuse. It all paints a picture of an extremely aggressive and confrontational person. I had called his behaviour out in threads before only for the Mods (wrongly in my view) to delete the posts.

The over the top celebrations against his own county was odd.
That's just, like your opinion man.