Armagh v Derry - Ulster Final, 14th May, 2023 @ 4pm

Started by Walter Cronc, May 01, 2023, 08:04:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakleaflad

Quote from: tonto1888 on May 15, 2023, 09:12:16 AM
On Gough. I've no complaints whatsoever. Did I agree with every decision? No. But I'm sure Derry ones would say the same
Thought he was kind to Armagh to be honest and that your tackling was really poor. Nowhere near the ball a lot of the time and you got a couple turnovers where the Derry player was fouled. I actually like watching this Armagh team and could just as easily have won yesterday but the tackling is something that'll hold you back with another ref down the line unless improved in my opinion.

Armagh18

Quote from: Cavan19 on May 15, 2023, 09:23:55 AM
What do you make of the call at the end of extra time when Gough decided it was a throw up.

I though that the Derry Keeper over carried the ball and then stood over it like he was protecting a ruck in rugby obstructing Armagh players from getting to it.

The genius that is Maurice Deegan on BBC said that both teams fouled the ball and that's why a throw up was given  :o
Was that not end of normal time? Anyway looked like it should have been our free tbh

screenexile

What do you make of the call at the end of extra time when Gough decided it was a throw up.

I though that the Derry Keeper over carried the ball and then stood over it like he was protecting a ruck in rugby obstructing Armagh players from getting to it.

The genius that is Maurice Deegan on BBC said that both teams fouled the ball and that's why a throw up was given  :o

That was the end of normal time... it was overcarrying but after that they were all at the same thing and nothing was happening with the ball so a hop ball was fair enough.

screenexile

Quote from: tyrone08 on May 15, 2023, 09:27:10 AM
Quote from: Mario on May 15, 2023, 09:23:36 AM
On Gough. I've no complaints whatsoever. Did I agree with every decision? No. But I'm sure Derry ones would say the same
I was annoyed at him during the game but i'll watch it back later and see. Off the top of my head a few things that i felt he got wrong from a Derry PoV:

- Soupys foul at the end, he was barely touched and went down very easy.
- Lynch shouldered over the line in his own 6 yard box to win a 45 that O'Neill put over. I thought you weren't allowed to challenge the keeper in the 6 yard box.
- Lynch blown up for too long the ball was thrown up and O'Neill scored eventually - this one was maybe fair enough but he wasn't consistent as a few times Rafferty took just as long
- Should have been a black card for foul on McGuigan

On reflection some of these calls 50 50 but I felt Armagh got more of them.

I thought it was a bigger game for Armagh but after the events of last week to lose your manager and an Ulster final would have been a tough thing for Derry to come back from. Still remains to be seen what the impact of losing RG will be - he was effectively there for that game in the sense he did all the preparation work for it.

Ref was fine for both teams. Soupy was shoved in the back, he may have went down easily but why the hell would a player shove someone in the scoring zone is beyond me.

You can shoulder a player over the side line. Happens all the time and is correct.

Keeper was a warned before that kick out about taking too long so he should have known

You're not allowed to shoulder the keeper in the small rectangle you have to make a play on the ball!

Cavan19

Quote from: screenexile on May 15, 2023, 09:29:38 AM

That was the end of normal time... it was overcarrying but after that they were all at the same thing and nothing was happening with the ball so a hop ball was fair enough.

Yes it was normal time.

general_lee

Quote from: oakleaflad on May 15, 2023, 09:27:25 AM
Thought he was kind to Armagh to be honest and that your tackling was really poor. Nowhere near the ball a lot of the time and you got a couple turnovers where the Derry player was fouled. I actually like watching this Armagh team and could just as easily have won yesterday but the tackling is something that'll hold you back with another ref down the line unless improved in my opinion.
Have to agree with that point, Armagh's tackling has been poor for years now.
Ethan Rafferty getting a bit of grief on here, I think he had a solid performance aside from the goal.

Wildweasel74

I thought Armagh fouling was very deliberate to slow Derry Coming up the field on breaks. They seemed guilty of late hits and high too. And if u man was getting a card for twisting McGuigan fingers or whatever he was at, he should seen the line. Anyway Derry won, played poor, but its been a week were things went all Pete Tong. Should be better geared up for 2 weeks time. Am glad we won to get some sort silverware for all the hard yards the lads put in. Realistically I think Dublin win this year, with only Kerry and Galway challenging them. Getting to a semi or a final and been beat will count for nothing in the history books.

gallsman

Ah here, Campbell getting "shoved in the back" stretches the limits of credulity. He was lightly tackled from either side. You could maybe just about find a foul with it if you tried hard enough but he certainly went down easily. Lynch was definitely shouldered inside the box for the 45 but then should have been done for over carrying before the throw ball.

The trip on McGuigan I didn't think was that big a deal to be honest. Looked as if his hand more brushed against his leg in an attempt to trip. Certainly didn't have a good grip of him or clobber his leg a la Peter Stringer. Morgan still being on McGuigan at that stage possibly the biggest indictment of Armagh management on the day.

imtommygunn

Is touching the keeper in the square at all not a foul?

Campbell when you look at it was very clever to get that foul but either team would have been at that.

square_ball

Quote from: gallsman on May 15, 2023, 09:38:45 AM
Ah here, Campbell getting "shoved in the back" stretches the limits of credulity. He was lightly tackled from either side. You could maybe just about find a foul with it if you tried hard enough but he certainly went down easily. Lynch was definitely shouldered inside the box for the 45 but then sounds have been done for over carrying before the throw ball.

It was the old classic free given by the ref in the last minute to level it up. It was extremely soft and Campbell knew if he fell to the ground Gough was more than likely going to give the free.

trailer

Quote from: square_ball on May 15, 2023, 09:45:21 AM
Quote from: gallsman on May 15, 2023, 09:38:45 AM
Ah here, Campbell getting "shoved in the back" stretches the limits of credulity. He was lightly tackled from either side. You could maybe just about find a foul with it if you tried hard enough but he certainly went down easily. Lynch was definitely shouldered inside the box for the 45 but then sounds have been done for over carrying before the throw ball.

It was the old classic free given by the ref in the last minute to level it up. It was extremely soft and Campbell knew if he fell to the ground Gough was more than likely going to give the free.

The Derry man coming in. Wrong hand, made contact it was a poor attempt at a tackle when it obvious to everyone Campbell was running at them to draw contact and go down. Derry guy has to be smarter. Shadow the run, near hand. Campbell was so clever in that moment. Hats off to him.

Armagh18

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 15, 2023, 09:44:45 AM

Campbell when you look at it was very clever to get that foul but either team would have been at that.
Yeah can't touch keeper in small box at all but i thought he was outside it. Soupys looked a free at the time but I could barely watch at that stage lol

JoG2

You can tackle the ball but can't shoulder.. Free out if shouldered

imtommygunn

Tbh I don't think you'd find a ref in the country who wouldn't give Campbell's free and I think it was a free but he did make the most of it lol. (Not a slight anyone does that).

I thought Lynch was standing in the square when he was put out by a shoulder though may be remembering incorrectly.

Tbh draw near enough fair result.

Dabh

Quote from: JoG2 on May 15, 2023, 09:54:44 AM

You can tackle the ball but can't shoulder.. Free out if shouldered

From rule book
When he is within the small rectangle, the goalkeeper may not be charged but he may be challenged for possession of the ball, and his puck, kick or pass may be blocked. Incidental contact with the goalkeeper while playing the ball is permitted.

From me
I've no idea what a charge is (if is not a shoulder) and i'd guess noone does