Armagh v Derry - Ulster Final, 14th May, 2023 @ 4pm

Started by Walter Cronc, May 01, 2023, 08:04:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoireGael

What a battle! Derry got over the line but the team sat too deep at times, similar to the first half of the Dublin game in Celtic Park and when Armagh pressed them high up the pitch they didnt let the  ball into the space behind and struggled to make ground. The team seemed to lack the high intensity turn of pace which could even be possibly noted during there warm up drill with the fumbles. Lucky to get out of Clones with the W. Both team lift all on the pitch. Commiserations to the Armagh team, a bit of composure and they had it.

tonto1888

I'm angry this morning. We had that won and blew it. Something lacking in the Armagh team. Balls.
We could lose a premlim qf now or make the semi final. Penalties dependent.
Think there's an ulster in us but not with current management

Armagh18

What a game. Gutted for those lads today, penalties are a f**king disgraceful way to decide an Ulster title. On the game itself, thought we left it behind, rate us as a better side than Derry but some of our wides and decision making were awful.

Maybe orange tinted glasses but Gough was harsh on us I thought although don't know how Morgan got away with the trip on McGuigan, looked clear black card live.  McGuigan and Glass are 2 serious serious footballers. Congrats to Derry, I'm sure we'll meet again either later this year or in a Ulster final next year again. Got to be tough for our lads to stomach that but hopefully the hurt drives them on through these groups and on to the big days.

tonto1888

On Gough. I've no complaints whatsoever. Did I agree with every decision? No. But I'm sure Derry ones would say the same

DoireGael

Quote from: tonto1888 on May 15, 2023, 09:12:16 AM
On Gough. I've no complaints whatsoever. Did I agree with every decision? No. But I'm sure Derry ones would say the same

The trip on McGuigan was a black card for me. Was right in front of me.

A tough match to referee. Could only consider his performance if I where neutral  ;D

Armagh18

Probably biased. He screwed us with that kickout late on making him retake though.

general_lee

Quote from: Saffrongael on May 15, 2023, 08:50:30 AM
Quote from: Fuzzman on May 15, 2023, 08:39:35 AM
Congrats Derry.
Thought Rogers amazing first half.
Glass and McGuigan had great games too.

Surprised none of ye discussing the incident in the 18th min of extra time where Rian O'Neill seemed to go down holding his chest, reacting to McGuigan.
Did he bite him or was it play acting?
McGuigan was getting a lot of attention all game.

He seemed to recover very quickly when he realised he wasn't getting anything for it
Almost as quick as McGuigan (?) after his head "injury" 

screenexile

I think Armagh fans are being awful sore on themselves. There was absolutely nothing in that game it wasn't like the Galway game last year where you were outlcassed for long periods and were lucky to get back into it the game yesterday was tit for tat with both teams winning and losing it a few times.

Personally I thought Armagh's high press posed Derry a problem they haven't faced so far and really stifled our usual game. It's very hard to do for 90 minutes though which is probably why we were able to hang in that second period of extra time.

We'll have to get better at playing against it because other teams will be doing it against us from now on!

Gough was terrible. He seems to have made up a new rule where you can take 7 steps if you do it with conviction but if you take 4 steps and change your mind it's overcarrying. I wasn't happy with his performance yesterday at all and that tube Gavin in the Examiner must have been watching a different match!

An Watcher

Quote from: screenexile on May 15, 2023, 08:33:50 AM
Quote from: An Watcher on May 15, 2023, 07:20:00 AM
Would it not have been an option for armagh to replace rafferty with a proper keeper for penalties?

That's harsh he saved one and guessed wrong for McGuigans... nobody is saving the Glass or McFaul penalties!

Here it's no dig at rafferty and I'm sure the fella would admit he's not a keeper.  Seriously though a proper keeper would have more experience saving penalties.

Armagh18

Quote from: DoireGael on May 15, 2023, 09:14:30 AM

The trip on McGuigan was a black card for me. Was right in front of me.

A tough match to referee. Could only consider his performance if I where neutral  ;D
Looked like a black for me as well, but Gough seemed to indicate that he clipped McGuigans heel accidentally. Haven't seen it back yet and was a fair bit away tbh.

jmcgdoire

Quote from: Armagh18 on May 15, 2023, 09:10:54 AM
What a game. Gutted for those lads today, penalties are a f**king disgraceful way to decide an Ulster title. On the game itself, thought we left it behind, rate us as a better side than Derry but some of our wides and decision making were awful.

Maybe orange tinted glasses but Gough was harsh on us I thought although don't know how Morgan got away with the trip on McGuigan, looked clear black card live.  McGuigan and Glass are 2 serious serious footballers. Congrats to Derry, I'm sure we'll meet again either later this year or in a Ulster final next year again. Got to be tough for our lads to stomach that but hopefully the hurt drives them on through these groups and on to the big days.

What do you want instead of penalties?
Assuming you say replay (which I disagree with) what would you suggest if it too ended a draw?
(And if you say 45s or frees, why is that any better than penalties?)

Mario

I was annoyed at him during the game but i'll watch it back later and see. Off the top of my head a few things that i felt he got wrong from a Derry PoV:

- Soupys foul at the end, he was barely touched and went down very easy.
- Lynch shouldered over the line in his own 6 yard box to win a 45 that O'Neill put over. I thought you weren't allowed to challenge the keeper in the 6 yard box.
- Lynch blown up for too long the ball was thrown up and O'Neill scored eventually - this one was maybe fair enough but he wasn't consistent as a few times Rafferty took just as long
- Should have been a black card for foul on McGuigan

On reflection some of these calls 50 50 but I felt Armagh got more of them.

I thought it was a bigger game for Armagh but after the events of last week to lose your manager and an Ulster final would have been a tough thing for Derry to come back from. Still remains to be seen what the impact of losing RG will be - he was effectively there for that game in the sense he did all the preparation work for it.

Cavan19

What do you make of the call at the end of extra time when Gough decided it was a throw up.

I though that the Derry Keeper over carried the ball and then stood over it like he was protecting a ruck in rugby obstructing Armagh players from getting to it.

The genius that is Maurice Deegan on BBC said that both teams fouled the ball and that's why a throw up was given  :o

Mario

Quote from: Cavan19 on May 15, 2023, 09:23:55 AM
What do you make of the call at the end of extra time when Gough decided it was a throw up.

I though that the Derry Keeper over carried the ball and then stood over it like he was protecting a ruck in rugby obstructing Armagh players from getting to it.

The genius that is Maurice Deegan on BBC said that both teams fouled the ball and that's why a throw up was given  :o
It was already 30 seconds over injury time. The game was over.

tyrone08

Quote from: Mario on May 15, 2023, 09:23:36 AM
I was annoyed at him during the game but i'll watch it back later and see. Off the top of my head a few things that i felt he got wrong from a Derry PoV:

- Soupys foul at the end, he was barely touched and went down very easy.
- Lynch shouldered over the line in his own 6 yard box to win a 45 that O'Neill put over. I thought you weren't allowed to challenge the keeper in the 6 yard box.
- Lynch blown up for too long the ball was thrown up and O'Neill scored eventually - this one was maybe fair enough but he wasn't consistent as a few times Rafferty took just as long
- Should have been a black card for foul on McGuigan

On reflection some of these calls 50 50 but I felt Armagh got more of them.

I thought it was a bigger game for Armagh but after the events of last week to lose your manager and an Ulster final would have been a tough thing for Derry to come back from. Still remains to be seen what the impact of losing RG will be - he was effectively there for that game in the sense he did all the preparation work for it.

Ref was fine for both teams. Soupy was shoved in the back, he may have went down easily but why the hell would a player shove someone in the scoring zone is beyond me.

You can shoulder a player over the side line. Happens all the time and is correct.

Keeper was a warned before that kick out about taking too long so he should have known