Armagh v Derry - Ulster Final, 14th May, 2023 @ 4pm

Started by Walter Cronc, May 01, 2023, 08:04:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: RedHand88 on May 15, 2023, 12:28:03 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on May 15, 2023, 12:12:07 AM
Quote from: RedHand88 on May 15, 2023, 12:09:46 AM
I really don't understand where this "penalties have no place in the GAA" nonsense comes from. Name me any sport that doesn't have a tie breaker. It comes across as typical anti- soccer rubbish.

Yes, but a tie breaker could be kicking 45s or throwing the ball up between two players, it does not have to be penalties.

They had this and people complained.

What's the difference in taking 45s and taking penalties, besides the fact that those terrible soccer hooligans have penalty shootouts? That's what this is really all about.
Penalties is another issue linked with the split season. The could organise things differently. Eg replay 7 days later, one replay only.
Derry and Armagh are next playing in 2 weeks...

The next time it matters is  the preliminary qfs. There is no time between this part and the quarter finals but there are 2 weeks both between the quarter finals and the semis and between the semis and the final. so you could have penalties at the the preliminary qfs stage but replays afterwards .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_All-Ireland_Senior_Football_Championship

p3427977

Quote from: An Watcher on May 15, 2023, 07:20:00 AM
Would it not have been an option for armagh to replace rafferty with a proper keeper for penalties?
8)

jmcgdoire

I'm yet to hear a good argument against penalties.
The game needs to end at some point.
Can someone please tell me what is wrong with using a penalty shootout?

naka

Quote from: jmcgdoire on May 15, 2023, 08:11:58 AM
We could have had a replay!
Next Saturday would have worked

Eire90

Nothing penalties are great its up to one of the teams to win it before that.

Eire90

Quote from: naka on May 15, 2023, 08:17:08 AM

would people not then moan about teams not getting a rest  suppose are going to moan no matter what.

jmcgdoire

Thats a lot to ask of the players who have already played 90+ minutes of football and have three group games coming up.
Also if the replay ended in a draw what would you propose then? Are penalties only acceptable after weve flogged every last breath out of these lads?

naka

Quote from: Eire90 on May 15, 2023, 08:18:51 AM
Ffs the season is over in 10 weeks
would people not then moan about teams not getting a rest  suppose are going to moan no matter what.

jmcgdoire

Quote from: Eire90 on May 15, 2023, 08:18:07 AM

Nothing penalties are great its up to one of the teams to win it before that.

I agree 1000%. Both teams had 100 minutes to win the game. Penalties are great for the fans too. It is only good for our game

screenexile

Quote from: An Watcher on May 15, 2023, 07:20:00 AM
Would it not have been an option for armagh to replace rafferty with a proper keeper for penalties?

That's harsh he saved one and guessed wrong for McGuigans... nobody is saving the Glass or McFaul penalties!

Fuzzman

Congrats Derry.
Thought Rogers amazing first half.
Glass and McGuigan had great games too.

Surprised none of ye discussing the incident in the 18th min of extra time where Rian O'Neill seemed to go down holding his chest, reacting to McGuigan.
Did he bite him or was it play acting?
McGuigan was getting a lot of attention all game.

trailer

Few thoughts

Armagh should've won it. Just lacked that bit of leadership to get them over the line.
Rafferty had a great game and a terrible game. Thought he was weak enough at the pens and obv at fault for the goal but kicked some brilliant scores. He couldn't find an Armagh jersey with his KO near the end when he needed to.
McGuigan had brilliant game. Morgan struggled on him. He should've been black carded for the hand trip.
McKaigue is another baller. 
Glass is one of the best footballers playing at the minute.
Soupy bought that free at the end. Clever, clever play. They should've started him.
Thought Pens was a great way to finish the game.
It wasn't a great game but it was enthralling. It lacked quality. Lots of poor shots and wides.
Ulster championship is the only provincial worth watching because it has so many good teams. GAA needs to learn from this. Create a championship league with 8 or 10 teams and you'll get close games like this most weeks.

gallsman

Quote from: Eire90 on May 15, 2023, 08:18:51 AM

100%. If it was a replay you'd have people (correctly) complaining about the load on the players or that the refs are instructed to play for the draw so the GAA can rake it in.

If the decision has been made to decide it on the day (which in a condensed championship and managing the load on the players I think is the right one) then penalties is as good as anything.

Saffrongael

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 15, 2023, 08:39:35 AM
Congrats Derry.
Thought Rogers amazing first half.
Glass and McGuigan had great games too.

Surprised none of ye discussing the incident in the 18th min of extra time where Rian O'Neill seemed to go down holding his chest, reacting to McGuigan.
Did he bite him or was it play acting?
McGuigan was getting a lot of attention all game.

He seemed to recover very quickly when he realised he wasn't getting anything for it 
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

tbrick18

I love penalties. Adds drama and excitement.
Both teams have had a match plus extra time to win but couldn't, so penalties is a test of forward v forward a lnd keeper v keeper, but mostly a test of nerve.
Yesterday Derry won all 3 thankfully.