Armagh v Derry - Ulster Final, 14th May, 2023 @ 4pm

Started by Walter Cronc, May 01, 2023, 08:04:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

square_ball

Quote from: smelmoth on May 12, 2023, 03:10:49 PM
Quote from: 5times5times on May 12, 2023, 01:37:56 PM
Armagh men, what level of abuse will be fired at RG's way? IMO he deserves every last ounce of it.

If he does come out onto the line, I hope there's an almighty boo, with a few choice words thrown in there.

Hopefully Gough has his wits about him and puts him in his place, his carry-on along the line is way out of line.

Several different issues there.

I still think it hugely unlikely that he will be there on Sunday. If he is I'm not seeing the issue as being sledging between the teams or between Armagh players and RG. The issue or the potential for an issue is between RG and the crowd. Concerted booing might reach him but I doubt any individual taunt as the slightest chance of reaching his ears.

As for fans entering the fray surely that has to be a very remote possibility. The bigger risk is the inevitable final whistle invasion. Definite potential for that to get ugly.

Then there is the potential for a coordinated protest and one group have already been named. No clue what that will entail.

Gallagher does plenty of mouthing at players in his different roles over the years so I have no doubt if he starts with any Armagh player on Sunday they will be bringing it up with him.

And agreed on after the match. I'd imagine he will be straight down the tunnel if he is there.

Armaghtothebone

Finding it very difficult to have an interest in the game at all to be honest.
Don't want to bring up the Gallagher thing again but it is the elephant in the room.

Re game, think Hall not starting is significant.
If we push up on the kickout when he's playing I've seen teams isolate him 1 on 1 and ping kickouts to his man. His physical size puts him at an immediate disadvantage.
His exclusion leads me to think we will press more than might have been expected.

Tome will tell

Ed Ricketts

Quote from: Armaghtothebone on May 12, 2023, 03:45:17 PM
Don't want to bring up the Gallagher thing again but it is the elephant in the room.

If we push up on the kickout when he's playing I've seen teams isolate him 1 on 1 and ping kickouts to his man. His physical size puts him at an immediate disadvantage.
His exclusion leads me to think we will press more than might have been expected.

Tome will tell

All makes sense. But he's not even on the bench, which would lead you to believe that he has picked up a knock.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

God14

The SDLP have now called for Gallagher to stand down on Sunday.

tbrick18

Tome will tell

With you there.
Looks like it's all been said on this thread with a multitude of views on what should happen, there's no good outcome at this stage regardless of what happens next.

On the game, I just listened to the GAA Social, and the predictions are fairly much in line with my own. I feel Derry are a bit ahead of Armagh and should win it by a few. Oisin was funny, describe how good derry were then said he wasnt convinced - he was arguing with himself.
But totally unknown how the Derry preparation has been affected this week or how players will respond, so nothing would surprise me in terms of result.
Extra time and penalties? Do we have to have a winner on the day?

On a separate note, if you listen to nothing else, it would be worth listening to Eamon Burns' story about his battle with cancer on the GAA Social. Very personal and insightful.

God14

From bbc news no...

BBC News NI requested a comment from the sponsors of Derry GAA, the construction company Errigal.

The company declined our request.

The All-Ireland Gaelic Players Association (GPA) also declined a request for a comment.

imtommygunn

Quote from: tbrick18 on May 12, 2023, 04:28:36 PM

Tome will tell

With you there.
Looks like it's all been said on this thread with a multitude of views on what should happen, there's no good outcome at this stage regardless of what happens next.

On the game, I just listened to the GAA Social, and the predictions are fairly much in line with my own. I feel Derry are a bit ahead of Armagh and should win it by a few. Oisin was funny, describe how good derry were then said he wasnt convinced - he was arguing with himself.
But totally unknown how the Derry preparation has been affected this week or how players will respond, so nothing would surprise me in terms of result.

On a separate note, if you listen to nothing else, it would be worth listening to Eamon Burns' story about his battle with cancer on the GAA Social. Very personal and insightful.

Listened to that myself. Burns comes across as a real decent spud too.

I would feel the same on hard to be too interested in the game. No good outcome in the whole scenario.

David McKeown

Quote from: Itchy on May 12, 2023, 02:33:32 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on May 12, 2023, 02:16:40 PM
Quote from: Itchy on May 12, 2023, 02:12:46 PM
Gallagher is a volunteer on paper who gets "expenses". They can cut him loose at any time. He has no working contract.

I wouldn't like to be a county board and have to test that.

I wouldnt say it is a big thing at all, managers are "sacked" all the time and I don't recall there ever being an unfair dismissal case taken against the county board. I suppose unless Gallagher is employed as something else official in Derry which would change things for sure.

I still wouldn't want to test it. Tribunals can, will and have gotten involved in the past in scenarios where people are "only receiving expenses" or don't have a written contract. Like most things though it would likely be fact specific and depend on a lot of factors.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

yellowcard

I'm surprised that the Derry county board haven't made an announcement at this stage. Presumably Derry have trained since the allegations broke, so is Rory Gallagher still in charge of team training and tactics this week and if so how can this not be a massive disruption for the Derry players and other backroom staff. I had every sympathy with their county board in the position they found themselves initially but it now appears to be the age old GAA thing of do nothing and hope that it all blows over. Similar to the Kilmacud 16 player farce which was another example of how not to handle a crisis by doing nothing for over a week. Well that doesn't work anymore in the social media age and the vaccum they have created has enabled the story to become hijacked by campaign groups, politicians and online activists. In the best interest of all concerned I hope that it is all resolved sooner rather than later and that he is stood down before Sunday. Otherwise there could be an unsavoury atmosphere at the match on Sunday that we don't normally associate with GAA. 

Eire90

the major risk is some have a go hero gets onto the field and tries to confront rory gallagher

trailer

Quote from: Eire90 on May 12, 2023, 04:55:55 PM
the major risk is some have a go hero gets onto the field and tries to confront rory gallagher

I don't think that will happen. What will happen is the stench of this with follow Derry and the Derry Co board for years to come.
The GPA not commenting again is very very poor form. Reinforces what I think about them as an organisation. Simply there to enrich themselves and do very little for the welfare of players. 50% of its members are female.

seafoid

The County Board don't have any leverage this evening given the response from Gallagher's solicitors yesterday. But they might have on Sunday. If a sizeable crowd of protestors turns up and makes it onto the news they will be there for the next 3 matches and onwards.

HiMucker

Quote from: tbrick18 on May 12, 2023, 04:28:36 PM

Tome will tell

With you there.

Before the events of this week, and trying to put any bias to one side I would had us beating Armagh by 5 or more to spare. I just think Derry are a well oiled machine that when then they get a lead the majority of teams will struggle to reel them in. I'm not sold on Armagh. Verry good forward unit though.
Funny, I always think mcconvilles analysis is really insightful, and he has been impressed with Derry for a while. I think if it wasn't for his love of Armagh, he wouldn't be tipping them against Derry.
Burnsy, what a man! Must get a listen to that. Lot of time for him, great fella, he helped shape a lot of boys my age at the club.

trailer

Quote from: God14 on May 12, 2023, 04:28:21 PM
The SDLP have now called for Gallagher to stand down on Sunday.

Cara Hunter. Very vocal on women's rights and women's issues. She'll have her finger on the pulse.
Will SF and others now follow?

Pub Bore

Quote from: trailer on May 12, 2023, 04:59:47 PM
Quote from: Eire90 on May 12, 2023, 04:55:55 PM

I don't think that will happen. What will happen is the stench of this with follow Derry and the Derry Co board for years to come.
The GPA not commenting again is very very poor form. Reinforces what I think about them as an organisation. Simply there to enrich themselves and do very little for the welfare of players. 50% of its members are female.

Agree 100%.  There's a genie 90% out of the bottle here.