Armagh v Derry - Ulster Final, 14th May, 2023 @ 4pm

Started by Walter Cronc, May 01, 2023, 08:04:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

https://twitter.com/a4cderry/status/1656949925991645184

Alliance for Choice Derry
@a4cderry
Hi all, we are receiving DMs from people going to Derry V Armagh on Sunday about making a public show of support for Nicola Gallagher.
If you are going to the game and want to be put in touch with others please DM us and we will create a private group. #GAA

trailer

If RG is determined to be on the line on Sunday will he do TV and Radio IVs? And if he is asked about this how will he respond?
If he refuses to do an IV what will that say?

Mario

Quote from: trailer on May 12, 2023, 12:18:13 PM
If RG is determined to be on the line on Sunday will he do TV and Radio IVs? And if he is asked about this how will he respond?
If he refuses to do an IV what will that say?
Clearly he'll say he doesn't want to comment on it. Or he addressed it through his solicitors and has nothing more to add. Will match reporters even want to interview him.

Mario

Quote from: seafoid on May 12, 2023, 10:28:50 AM
D2 final Derry vs Dubs and the 4 goals

https://twitter.com/officialgaa/status/1642538411557900292
A square ball, a soft penalty and a point effort that went in top corner against a weakened Derry team - Dubs had a lot of luck with those goals. I wouldn't read too much into it as the Job was done before the game.

Jeepers Creepers

and if he is on the line I'm confident that Armagh supporters in the true spirit of the GAA will remain tight lipped and focus on the football

NotedObserver

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on May 12, 2023, 12:33:06 PM
and if he is on the line I'm confident that Armagh supporters in the true spirit of the GAA will remain tight lipped and focus on the football

Would say they will but if Gallagher roars into crowd as per usual I'm not so sure they will remain quiet.

Armagh18

Of course, be no sledging off us ;). In normal circumstances if Armagh supporters were giving him bit of abuse you'd have Derry ones defending him but in this case i don't even see how they can. Derry ones be booing him as well I would say!

Armagh18

Quote from: NotedObserver on May 12, 2023, 12:40:20 PM

Would say they will but if Gallagher roars into crowd as per usual I'm not so sure they will remain quiet.
Really hope none of our management tesm shake his hand, not that I would at the best of times with all that spitting!

Derryman forever

Quote from: Mario on May 12, 2023, 12:32:17 PM

A square ball, a soft penalty and a point effort that went in top corner against a weakened Derry team - Dubs had a lot of luck with those goals. I wouldn't read too much into it as the Job was done before the game.

Others might confirm this but I believe Dery did not train the week before and most went on holiday

Estimator

Quote from: Derryman forever on May 12, 2023, 12:49:30 PM

Others might confirm this but I believe Dery did not train the week before and most went on holiday
Think it was the week before the Cork game that they took the week off/holidays etc.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Armamike

Quote from: Estimator on May 12, 2023, 12:05:45 PM
**I'll start with saying that Gallagher should be stepped down for Sunday's game and beyond.  And I am still hoping this happens. If he'd any gumption he would've done it himself, but everyone in Derry from the sponsors, to the players and the supporters should be making it clear to the county board that being associated with Gallagher completely tarnishes anything they achieve now and in the future with him at the helm.  If (Big If at the minute) Derry win on Sunday, Would anyone in the country be happy seeing Gallagher celebrate with the Anglo-Celt?**

It also looks like Derry are maintaining their radio silence as well. No official team announcement on their socials yet. Gaelic Life announced that it would be the same team as the Monaghan game.

As for the actual game on Sunday, I think that Armagh will push up on Derry's kick outs and try to make life as miserable as possible for Lynch. Same as they did for Patton last year in Clones. They'd either try to force Lynch into making mistakes, or as has happened in previous games, delay him for long enough for the ref to call it.  Its not like Armagh don't have big men around the middle of the pitch to cope with the ball being pinged out there. This is why I think McFaul will start, though he isn't named in the starting 15, to give Derry another option around the middle.

Similarly I think that Derry will try to do the same on the Armagh kick out, and force Rafferty into mistakes, but this could be the game where Lynch gets caught further out the field on the opposition kick out. It almost happened against Fermanagh and Monaghan. And better teams like Armagh will punish that.

Derry will also be severely tested under the high ball, but Armagh need to have something else worked out too.  Can't be doing that for 70mins+. Against Dublin the high ball was a square ball, and the 3 they conceded from "high balls" in the first two rounds were bad shots that happened to drop short. I'd say Donaghy has something else worked out for the forwards to be at.

Armagh will be a completely different animal to what Derry have faced so far, Fermanagh were missing Quigley, Monaghan had too many 30+s in the team.  Armagh are approaching this with a clean bill of health (at the minute) and a hunger to win an Ulster Title.  Plus the fitness levels and the subs off the bench, will be different to anything Derry faced in the league and championship so far, aside from the Dubs. And given what has happened this week, this tips the balance, ever so slightly, in favour of Armagh. 

Armagh won't have been distracted one bit by the news this week, could even give them a bit more focus.  But Derry's final week prep will have been tossed out the window. Derry players will be fielding questions from friends and family and work colleagues all week about non-football stuff, so it'll be hard to know where their heads are at. As well as that, the officials could definitely form part of the storyline on Sunday as well.  Gallagher (if he is on the sideline) has been spoken to by the officials a few times this year. How will they react to his normal match day behaviour? Will they clamp down on his antics more than other officials have done previously?

On Monday I'd have said Derry -4, and been fairly positive about the result.
Now, not so much.  I'd be happy just to get out of Clones with any sort of victory.

Great post.
That's just, like your opinion man.

imtommygunn

They should have had about 4 more though.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Armamike on May 12, 2023, 12:54:09 PM
**I'll start with saying that Gallagher should be stepped down for Sunday's game and beyond.  And I am still hoping this happens. If he'd any gumption he would've done it himself, but everyone in Derry from the sponsors, to the players and the supporters should be making it clear to the county board that being associated with Gallagher completely tarnishes anything they achieve now and in the future with him at the helm.  If (Big If at the minute) Derry win on Sunday, Would anyone in the country be happy seeing Gallagher celebrate with the Anglo-Celt?**

It also looks like Derry are maintaining their radio silence as well. No official team announcement on their socials yet. Gaelic Life announced that it would be the same team as the Monaghan game.

As for the actual game on Sunday, I think that Armagh will push up on Derry's kick outs and try to make life as miserable as possible for Lynch. Same as they did for Patton last year in Clones. They'd either try to force Lynch into making mistakes, or as has happened in previous games, delay him for long enough for the ref to call it.  Its not like Armagh don't have big men around the middle of the pitch to cope with the ball being pinged out there. This is why I think McFaul will start, though he isn't named in the starting 15, to give Derry another option around the middle.

Similarly I think that Derry will try to do the same on the Armagh kick out, and force Rafferty into mistakes, but this could be the game where Lynch gets caught further out the field on the opposition kick out. It almost happened against Fermanagh and Monaghan. And better teams like Armagh will punish that.

Derry will also be severely tested under the high ball, but Armagh need to have something else worked out too.  Can't be doing that for 70mins+. Against Dublin the high ball was a square ball, and the 3 they conceded from "high balls" in the first two rounds were bad shots that happened to drop short. I'd say Donaghy has something else worked out for the forwards to be at.

Armagh will be a completely different animal to what Derry have faced so far, Fermanagh were missing Quigley, Monaghan had too many 30+s in the team.  Armagh are approaching this with a clean bill of health (at the minute) and a hunger to win an Ulster Title.  Plus the fitness levels and the subs off the bench, will be different to anything Derry faced in the league and championship so far, aside from the Dubs. And given what has happened this week, this tips the balance, ever so slightly, in favour of Armagh. 

Armagh won't have been distracted one bit by the news this week, could even give them a bit more focus.  But Derry's final week prep will have been tossed out the window. Derry players will be fielding questions from friends and family and work colleagues all week about non-football stuff, so it'll be hard to know where their heads are at. As well as that, the officials could definitely form part of the storyline on Sunday as well.  Gallagher (if he is on the sideline) has been spoken to by the officials a few times this year. How will they react to his normal match day behaviour? Will they clamp down on his antics more than other officials have done previously?

Now, not so much.  I'd be happy just to get out of Clones with any sort of victory.

Great post.

+1

Derryman forever

Quote from: Estimator on May 12, 2023, 12:52:18 PM
Quote from: Derryman forever on May 12, 2023, 12:49:30 PM

Think it was the week before the Cork game that they took the week off/holidays etc.

Thanks.

Derry are in a bad place. They have no good out come from this that I can see.
I am very hopeful that Gallagher will not be present on Sunday. And if the Derry  lads can put in a performance, it will speak much of their Character.

Derryman forever

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 12, 2023, 01:09:51 PM
Quote from: Armamike on May 12, 2023, 12:54:09 PM

Great post.

+1
Absolutely

Post of the thread.