Armagh v Derry - Ulster Final, 14th May, 2023 @ 4pm

Started by Walter Cronc, May 01, 2023, 08:04:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoG2

Quote from: jmcgdoire on May 12, 2023, 08:33:59 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 12, 2023, 08:21:21 AM
Dublin got 1 goal from the high ball, which was a plain as day square ball as the lad had came from behind the keeper, and he was near on the line, when he started to move out.

Derry were in trouble every time the ball was kicked in to Con (granted that's Con)

1 x square ball goal from high balls in 78 mins of football with the height they have in midfield, and forwards like Rock, Mannion, O'Callaghan isn't a great return though

trailer

Quote from: balladmaker on May 11, 2023, 10:33:57 PM
Guilty in the eyes of the law is one thing, and he obviously is an innocent man in that regard.  Guilty in the court of moral judgement is something completely different.  Irrespective if the accuser has drink issues, irrespective the fact that he has custody of the kids, if he lifted his hand to her once, never mind allegedly drag her up the main street in Enniscrone, allegedly bite her in the face, allegedly beat her up in Clones ... even if he only lifted his hand to her once, he should not have the moral standing to manage any team, never mind a county team.  Will be shocked if he's in Clones on Sunday.

Now for the game, no idea what impact all of this is having in the Derry camp, but it can't be having a positive impact in any shape or form, no siege mentality to be gained from this one.  It is definitely overshadowing the game, the past 30 odd pages of this thread has been pretty much consumed by it.  4pm throw in on Sunday can't come soon enough.  Still a 50/50 game, but if Armagh show up and play to their potential I only see one winner .. 'if'.

This pretty much sums it up. I'd be surprised not to hear a lot more from women's groups over the weekend.

Armagh18

Quote from: Captain Obvious on May 12, 2023, 12:42:48 AM
Armagh this year against three of the so called All Ireland contenders

- Drew with Mayo
- lost to Kerry by 1 point, held them to 0-12 and David Clifford,Sean O'Shea scoreless from play.
- lost to Galway by 2 points,  1-8 conceded and the goal a bit of giveaway late on.

Would Derry have fared much better against those three this year?
Beat Mayo but for an incorrect umpire call too if I remember rightly. Will caveat the Kerry game with the fact that Clifford and O'Shea were only back and we were horribly defensive in that game and the Galway game. In both though our own mistakes killed us and we could on another day have beaten both.

Armagh18

Dublin got 1 goal from the high ball, which was a plain as day square ball as the lad had came from behind the keeper, and he was near on the line, when he started to move out.
No matter how good a defender/goalkeeper is, no one likes dealing with a high ball as it can go absolutely anywhere and it only takes one to go in to change a game. Derry have a perceived weakeness there and even if it isn't true they'll be tested on Sunday, because with Murnin and Rian it is one thing we are good at 

Snapchap

Quick scan through the last few pages and it's clear this thread is just madness. Seems split into two groups of posters:

Group 1: Posters obsessed with gossiping about a domestic abuse allegation.
Group 2: Posters stubbornly trying to insist on analysing the game, seemingly determined to pretend that it's not a game which, considering the impact the scandal will have on Derry's preparations, makes absolutely any attempt at analysing it just look redundant/plain silly.

Not sure which group is annoying me more to be honest!  :-[

Armagh18

Quote from: Snapchap on May 12, 2023, 09:33:51 AM
Quick scan through the last few pages and it's clear this thread is just madness. Seems split into two groups of posters:

Group 2: Posters stubbornly trying to insist on analysing the game, seemingly determined to pretend that it's not a game which, considering the impact the scandal will have on Derry's preparations, makes absolutely any attempt at analysing it just look redundant/plain silly.

Still going to be a game of football played no matter what and it's obviously overshadowed by whats came to light this week. Think the allegation has been discussed to death on here so theres not much more to say and not much we can do only wait and see how it unfolds.

Game itself should be a cracker and is well worth analysing.

trueblue1234

Quote from: Armagh18 on May 12, 2023, 09:29:43 AM
No matter how good a defender/goalkeeper is, no one likes dealing with a high ball as it can go absolutely anywhere and it only takes one to go in to change a game. Derry have a perceived weakeness there and even if it isn't true they'll be tested on Sunday, because with Murnin and Rian it is one thing we are good at

The flip side of that is the percentages. You will loss a lot of attacks by thumping a high ball in and turn possession over. If Derry continue to break at speed and take the % shots they'll start to creep ahead unless Armagh manage to get that goal or two.
Can't see Armagh doing it as a tactic, but may throw one or two in to test the water. Just think Derry will be more ruthless and economical in their possession so fancy a 3-4 point victory. Armagh to spend the last 5 mins pumping balls in to try and overturn a 3 point mdeficit. Derry to manage it better than they previously have and will hold out.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Snapchap

Quote from: Armagh18 on May 12, 2023, 09:37:10 AM

Still going to be a game of football played no matter what and it's obviously overshadowed by whats came to light this week. Think the allegation has been discussed to death on here so theres not much more to say and not much we can do only wait and see how it unfolds.

Game itself should be a cracker and is well worth analysing.

When preparations go out the window as spectacularly as they have done here, then meaningful analysis goes entirely out the window with it.

gallsman

It's not this though. Nobody is gossiping away. It's the follow on perception and impact on the GAA that people are discussing with respect to individuals within the Derry set-up that is being discussed.

This of course does not mean that people hold individual views or opinions around it.

Snapchap

Quote from: gallsman on May 12, 2023, 09:43:48 AM

It's not this though. Nobody is gossiping away. It's the follow on perception and impact on the GAA that people are discussing with respect to individuals within the Derry set-up that is being discussed.

This of course does not mean that people hold individual views or opinions around it.

Of course they can hold views. Just saying that the feeding frenzy is a bit much. And I certainly don't agree that the discussion has revolved around the impact upon the GAA. As far as I can see, that's an angle that barely anyone has mentioned at all!!

Armagh18

Armagh team
Rafferty
O'Neill
McKay
Forker

Mackin
McCabe
Burns

Crealey
McPartlan

Duffy
Soupy
Grugan

Murnin
Rian
Turbitt

tbrick18

Quote from: Armagh18 on May 12, 2023, 09:29:43 AM

Agreed.
I wouldn't read much into the Dublin game, we were without Glass for much of it and Mckaigue for all of it and they both make a huge difference to Derry defensively.  And not every team have players like Dublin.
The manner of the goals against Fermanagh and Monaghan are more concerning, conceded in games we were in total control of. If I was Armagh, I'd be looking at those.

seafoid

Armagh had a disappointing League in division 1 and were unlucky to be relegated. They should go straight back up.
Derry cruised through division 2 but Dublin filleted them in the D2 final.
I don't think Armagh have much strength in depth . Is it similar with Derry ?

If Armagh are let play they probably have more scoring options.
Derry are still short of a few key players so are they good enough to do 2 in a row ?

Armamike

I can't see how anyone can talk with a degree of certainty about this one. In the lead up to a game we love to give our predictions on scores, winning margins, how games will pan out. Truth is we don't really know how any game is going to unfold at the best of times. But especially this game, given what's gone on this week. A lot of supporters here seem to be pretty certain and if you're one them, good luck to you, wish i had your self belief!   But go and put a load of dosh on it and make yourselves a few quid! 
That's just, like your opinion man.

gallsman

Quote from: Snapchap on May 12, 2023, 09:51:18 AM
Quote from: gallsman on May 12, 2023, 09:43:48 AM

Of course they can hold views. Just saying that the feeding frenzy is a bit much. And I certainly don't agree that the discussion has revolved around the impact upon the GAA. As far as I can see, that's an angle that barely anyone has mentioned at all!!

Why do you think so many people were saying Gallagher should stand down or be stood down? It's not because people have decided he's guilty, it's because, through whatever fault, it has now become a massive issue for the GAA that cannot be ignored, be that the impact on the team and the championship or the moral/ethical side of someone under such a cloud being involved.