Armagh v Derry - Ulster Final, 14th May, 2023 @ 4pm

Started by Walter Cronc, May 01, 2023, 08:04:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: jmcgdoire on May 11, 2023, 02:57:49 PM
For Gods sake lads this thread is sposed to be about the Ulster Final. I understand how RG is relevant but only so much as "Will he be on the line for Derry?" and no more. Lets see how the situation plays out and trust that justice will be served to whoever deserves it.

Now can we stop talking about brutal beatings from animalistic thugs and get back to Football?

I'll start. How big a role do you think McFaul will play for Derry on sunday?

Clever 😉

HiMucker

Quote from: Mourne Red on May 11, 2023, 02:11:23 PM
Quote from: The Trap on May 11, 2023, 02:02:00 PM
Do people just want to move on now and talk about football? Hope it all goes away.........the statement doesn't deny any of the accusations. By just moving on and toughing it out we are all going to be silently complicit. Is that the outcome we want?

Just ones from Derry want to brush it under the carpet and talk football
Thats not ture. Im from Derry, going to the match on Sunday, and there is plenty of people within the county that wouldnt be happy if he is on the line on Sunday.

seafoid

trailer

This isn't going away and pleads of let's get back to football won't work.
TV on Sunday has to discuss this in the build up. Ignoring it makes them at best look like clowns, at worst complicit in how DV is covered up and dealt with in Ireland.

I'd love nothing more than to wind up the Armagh legion on here, believe me but this is front page news and will pull people into the discussion who wouldn't know who or what was happening on Sunday.

Armaghtothebone

It's on the BBC site so we can now assume that the integrity of his statement is beyond question.

Why no denial of the allegations?
Why mention social services? ( I would imagine that there is a social worker/ team frantically pulling together all their notes on this case)
Why no statement from Derry GAA indicating " we have spoken to Mr. Gallagher and he strenuously denies ANY accusations of physical violence"?

Earlier in the thread it appeared that some posters had inside info that the allegations were based in fact.

How difficult is it going to be to prove if she sat exams with 2 black eyes? There will have been others in that exam hall.

All of this is tarnishing the reputation of the GAA. People who would barely know what the Ulster Final was asking for thoughts on " this wife beating thing" ...their words not mine.

Sad times

Brick Tamlin

This definitely brings back memories of the trial of Paddy Jackson and his chums.
This one is gonna have similar parallels; i can see it being discussed for a long time to come in all forms of media.
Unfortunately it will bring out the worst in people too when discussing the issues.

Derry better structured and disciplined whereas Armagh always liable to let themselves down. Derry should win by 1-4 pts.
Dont rule out a draw though if Armagh can keep the chest-beating to a minimum and concentrate on their own game.

naka

Quote from: HiMucker on May 11, 2023, 03:06:17 PM
Quote from: Mourne Red on May 11, 2023, 02:11:23 PM
Quote from: The Trap on May 11, 2023, 02:02:00 PM
Do people just want to move on now and talk about football? Hope it all goes away.........the statement doesn't deny any of the accusations. By just moving on and toughing it out we are all going to be silently complicit. Is that the outcome we want?

Just ones from Derry want to brush it under the carpet and talk football
Thats not ture. Im from Derry, going to the match on Sunday, and there is plenty of people within the county that wouldnt be happy if he is on the line on Sunday.
Tbf I have a few Derry mates who I engage is ligh hearted banter with regularly as I reserve my hatred for Tyrone but even they are quiet and uncomfortable about the thought of RG on the line .
He may be innocent but the venom he will face on Sunday may be unprecedented .
Frig at the moment even the tyronnies and down men are siding with Armagh

jmk

The reality is, if he is on the line on Sunday this will be a huge PR problem for the GAA. at the minute Guilt or innocence is not the issue, it is the perception of taking accusations seriously.
The media would absolutely slaughter both Derry and the GAA in general for being seen to be soft on domestic violence.
RG is not the calmest man on the sideline so the almost certain hostile reaction of the crowd could set something off, which again would be a PR disaster.

full moon

Quote from: trailer on May 11, 2023, 03:14:47 PM
TV on Sunday has to discuss this in the build up. Ignoring it makes them at best look like clowns, at worst complicit in how DV is covered up and dealt with in Ireland.

I'd love nothing more than to wind up the Armagh legion on here, believe me but this is front page news and will pull people into the discussion who wouldn't know who or what was happening on Sunday.

TV cannot touch this with a bargepole, RTE or BBC would be sued into the next millennium and they know it.

What is there too discuss on TV and to what end? RTE in particular have been sued for libel numerous times.

The baying mob on here need to get a grip

imtommygunn

I would say there are safety / security considerations too and a a lot of them. I don't see how he can be on the line Sunday.

Media is stuffed. They can say nothing.

trailer

Quote from: full moon on May 11, 2023, 03:21:13 PM

TV cannot touch this with a bargepole, RTE or BBC would be sued into the next millennium and they know it.

What is there too discuss on TV and to what end? RTE in particular have been sued for libel numerous times.

It's front page news! I can't see how they can ignore it. 

Mourne Red

Quote from: trailer on May 11, 2023, 03:25:35 PM

Agree with Trailer (I'm shocked) not as if they haven't discussed allegations against Trump/Prince Andrew/Tate etc.. Media can report it, what people are expecting to happen, statements put out  - they don't have to give an opinion on it like an episode of  Loose Women

full moon

Quote from: trailer on May 11, 2023, 03:25:35 PM

The reports are all just very carefully worded repeats of both their statements. There is no comment or debate and nor should there be on TV it would not even be legal.

Armagh18

I agree but dont see much being said about it on Sunday in the build up, a brief mention if even

trueblue1234

All be sorted if RG shows some thought to Derry GAA and removes himself from the circus. It won't go away as a result. But defuses the atmosphere for Sunday to a degree. I think that's the fairest way from all parties. From speaking to a few Derry wans, they aren't keen to have him on the line. And some of the posters on here seem to be the same. There's enough doubt now and imo he shouldn't be there. Think it's time for him to read the room a bit better and put Derry first.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit