Armagh v Derry - Ulster Final, 14th May, 2023 @ 4pm

Started by Walter Cronc, May 01, 2023, 08:04:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Watcher

Not sure if you are a derry fan but I would well believe that winning an Ulster title is one of your top five moments in what 25 years? 97 the last ulster title.

I would love to be heading to clones for this as the atmosphere would be great.  Tyrone haven't had too many big days out in clones in recent years.  Can see the game being an absolute snoorefest again.  Gaelic football has gone that way but derry take it to a different level

Mario

Quote from: An Watcher on May 06, 2023, 07:39:59 AM
Not sure if you are a derry fan but I would well believe that winning an Ulster title is one of your top five moments in what 25 years? 97 the last ulster title.

I would love to be heading to clones for this as the atmosphere would be great.  Tyrone haven't had too many big days out in clones in recent years.  Can see the game being an absolute snoorefest again.  Gaelic football has gone that way but derry take it to a different level
Do you actually watch Derry? How many games in the last 3 years have been a snorefest? 2 id say, which is a better ratio than most teams. Nearly every team defends the same way as Derry, occasionally they'll leave 1 or 2 up but for the most part it's 15 behind the ball. Derry commit more players to attack than any team in the country - everyone (inc goalkeeper) except Chrissy Mckaigue. So much lazy analysis that we are just like Donegal 2011, just because Gallagher is manager. You can have an issue with modern football but Derry are far from the worst to watch. I'd say Galway or Armagh are the worst teams to watch this year.

imtommygunn

The same was said of Donegal. Donegal in 2012 were fantastic to watch. The pace they broke at, and Derry are likewise, was phenomenal.

naka

Quote from: Walter Cronc on May 05, 2023, 08:39:33 PM
Do both counties get 50/50 split on tickets ? Like 12k or so each?
Smiling
Daughters who is doing finals  at present with ulster final  in the middle said last night
Da are you getting me my ticket for the hill and can you drive .
She was in croke last year for the Galway game and in her words everyone  is going because when was the last time Armagh were in a final!
Just smiling because she is under so much stress .
Sometimes we under estimate the joy that gaa gives to everyone

smelmoth

Quote from: Mario on May 06, 2023, 07:59:54 AM

Do you actually watch Derry? How many games in the last 3 years have been a snorefest? 2 id say, which is a better ratio than most teams. Nearly every team defends the same way as Derry, occasionally they'll leave 1 or 2 up but for the most part it's 15 behind the ball. Derry commit more players to attack than any team in the country - everyone (inc goalkeeper) except Chrissy Mckaigue. So much lazy analysis that we are just like Donegal 2011, just because Gallagher is manager. You can have an issue with modern football but Derry are far from the worst to watch. I'd say Galway or Armagh are the worst teams to watch this year.

I think you are looking at this through the wrong lens.

If you are playing against a team that drops back as soon as possession is conceded then you are going to play 15 in attack. That doesn't make you attacking. It's just that you end up working the ball up the field slowly through low risk possession.

If Derry are an attacking team they will leave forwards up the pitch, kick it to them and get those forwards to win the ball back when in attacking positions. Let's see how attacking they are.

An Watcher

I think the thing that did it for me was the semi final v galway.  Getting well beat yet continued to play the same way.  I did not attend that game but heard a few say it was abysmal.  Maybe that was 1 or 2 of the ones mentioned above.  Its brutal to watch but as was the case last year, it'll be found out at croker

rrhf

Wouldn't expect the losers to profit too much. After hidings by Tyrone Galway they have to lift themselves for a not to be underestimated Westmeath team. Can see the losers going no further. Strange ruling if true that suspensions do not carry over from provincials as it is deemed a new competition.

armaghniac

Quote from: rrhf on May 06, 2023, 03:52:07 PM
Wouldn't expect the losers to profit too much. After hidings by Tyrone Galway they have to lift themselves for a not to be underestimated Westmeath team. Can see the losers going no further. Strange ruling if true that suspensions do not carry over from provincials as it is deemed a new competition.

Good try, but HTF is Tyrone going to give Derry a hiding when they couldn't even beat Monaghan?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Mario

Quote from: smelmoth on May 06, 2023, 01:27:51 PM

If you are playing against a team that drops back as soon as possession is conceded then you are going to play 15 in attack. That doesn't make you attacking. It's just that you end up working the ball up the field slowly through low risk possession.

If Derry are an attacking team they will leave forwards up the pitch, kick it to them and get those forwards to win the ball back when in attacking positions. Let's see how attacking they are.
So what teams don't drop everyone back when they lose possession?

smelmoth

Quote from: Mario on May 06, 2023, 05:59:19 PM

So what teams don't drop everyone back when they lose possession?

Any team that kicks the ball forward when they win possession. They have to have someone to kick it to.

screenexile

Indeed an average points total of 25 points in the Ulster Championship is total puke football... Jesus! 🤦🏼‍♂️

smelmoth

Quote from: screenexile on May 06, 2023, 08:55:08 PM

Indeed an average points total of 25 points in the Ulster Championship is total puke football... Jesus! 🤦🏼‍♂️

Who said puke football?

Just said they are not an attacking team and not that interesting to watch. Definitely more attacking this year and who knows maybe in the Ulster final they will be brave enough to kick the ball forward when they win possession. I do think they want to move in that direction. But haven't done so yet.

tbrick18

I wouldn't even bother engaging with this sort of conversation.
It's similar to the auld fellas who can't understand why they don't just kick it Into the square every time.

I don't  really care if others are bored when derry play. And I particularly dont mind if other teams think derry are not an  attacking side. It just makes us more of a challenge when they realise they have underestimated us.

Derry's attacking play has evolved from last year.
Many other teams now set up the same way as derry, so I suppose none of them will be able to do it in croke Park. Even if someone with the knowledge and experience of eamon fitzmaurice thinks its suited to CP. He's just wrong!  ::)
I'm not saying derry are going to win an AI or even that they'll def win Ulster because I've followed derry for long enough to  always expect an implosion. but some of this "analysis" is based on nothing more than a dislike for Derry and/or Gallagher.

People forget this team has a lot of players who have been at the top of club football in Ulster and ireland for the last 5 odd years. There's a number of players who have played in AI minor finals. There's good footballers there and good management. We'll make it tough for anyone.

smelmoth

Quote from: tbrick18 on May 06, 2023, 09:50:54 PM

I wouldn't even bother engaging with this sort of conversation.
It's similar to the auld fellas who can't understand why they don't just kick it Into the square every time.

I don't  really care if others are bored when derry play. And I particularly dont mind if other teams think derry are not an  attacking side. It just makes us more of a challenge when they realise they have underestimated us.

Derry's attacking play has evolved from last year.
Many other teams now set up the same way as derry, so I suppose none of them will be able to do it in croke Park. Even if someone with the knowledge and experience of eamon fitzmaurice thinks its suited to CP. He's just wrong!  ::)
I'm not saying derry are going to win an AI or even that they'll def win Ulster because I've followed derry for long enough to  always expect an implosion. but some of this "analysis" is based on nothing more than a dislike for Derry and/or Gallagher.

People forget this team has a lot of players who have been at the top of club football in Ulster and ireland for the last 5 odd years. There's a number of players who have played in AI minor finals. There's good footballers there and good management. We'll make it tough for anyone.

We are edging towards the next post being a robust defence of Gallagher/Derry on the charge of invading Poland or some intrigue with the previously pious Dana.

First we have the reaction to charge of puke football, overlooking the small issue of nobody making the charge and then there is this idea that people are calling for the ball to be launched into the square when any chat about this must have been in some silent code. Overreactions are usually excessive reactions to something that has actually occurred. But this invention of a slight seemingly for the purposes of overreacting to it is a march in to new territory.

I have never said Derry play puke football. I have never said they need to launch it into the square. I have said that to date they don't play attacking football. But Gallagher isn't stupid. He knows they will have to make strides in that direction.

screenexile

We've scored an average of 25 points in our last 2 games and attack with all 15 players yet you don't think we play "attacking football" ... have a word with yourself!