Armagh v Derry - Ulster Final, 14th May, 2023 @ 4pm

Started by Walter Cronc, May 01, 2023, 08:04:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh18

Quote from: JoG2 on May 01, 2023, 09:27:52 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on May 01, 2023, 04:47:08 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on May 01, 2023, 04:32:56 PM
Just hope we give a good account of ourselves, a bad beating leading into the round robin wouldn't be ideal
Yerra.

;D Armagh have better forwards, better defenders, there's men queuing up with the ability to nullify McGuigan, Glass etc, it's all in here!
Talking about match ups on Derrys main men means theres men queuing up to nullify them? We'll just not discuss anything then will we?

2 good sides, Derry have went up a level from last year. Should be a serious game. Tough to call and will probably come down to a kick of the ball.

screenexile

Quote from: yellowcard on May 01, 2023, 10:15:03 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on May 01, 2023, 09:19:12 PM
Quote from: jmcgdoire on May 01, 2023, 08:30:22 PM
The manner in which Armagh beat Down should frighten this Derry team a bit. 4 goals. Gallagher might need to make some adjustments because if it becomes a scoring match Armagh have better quality up front.

At least it should be a much better quality game than last year's snooze-fest of a final!

Putting my doubts aside Ill go Derry by 2.

14 scores to 12, not that impressive.
2 of the goals were fortunate, one a mis hit shot that dropped short.
Ok, conditions were poor which would have affected both sets of forwards and the armagh defence shut down out, but remember down were missing a few from u20s as well.

I haven't seen anything from armagh this year to suggest they have better forwards or defence.
But I could be wrong.

What I think will happen is that armagh will be able to keep it tight by being overly physical. But I think, or maybe hope, well have too much for armagh in terms of players and tactics.

You do realise that it's 3 points for a goal and it doesn't matter how they are scored. A goal from a high ball is still a goal and Derry have struggled badly defensively conceding 8 goals in their last 3 matches. Armagh will test them much more than Fermanagh and Monaghan defensively.

It's no exaggeration to say that Dublin could have scored 7 or 8 against them in the League final and for me Derry haven't improved since last year. I don't think Armagh have either though based on what we've seen to date this season and neither side are AI contenders imo. It will be close and there is no real form guide or recent history between the sides but both sides will be confident and I'd expect it to go down to the wire.

Derry haven't improved from last year??

Jesus a blind man can see the improvement! That's not to say we'll
win Ulster but to say we haven't improved is ridiculous. We got out of Div 2 this year have beaten the Dubs and massively upped our scoring average so I'd say that's a fair improvement.

Improvement from year to year is all you can ask. I don't think we're winning an All Ireland this year but after 2 years of Div 1 and Sam Maguire competition I expect us to win another!

yellowcard

Quote from: screenexile on May 01, 2023, 11:14:44 PM
The manner in which Armagh beat Down should frighten this Derry team a bit. 4 goals. Gallagher might need to make some adjustments because if it becomes a scoring match Armagh have better quality up front.

At least it should be a much better quality game than last year's snooze-fest of a final!

Ok, conditions were poor which would have affected both sets of forwards and the armagh defence shut down out, but remember down were missing a few from u20s as well.

I haven't seen anything from armagh this year to suggest they have better forwards or defence.
But I could be wrong.

What I think will happen is that armagh will be able to keep it tight by being overly physical. But I think, or maybe hope, well have too much for armagh in terms of players and tactics.

You do realise that it's 3 points for a goal and it doesn't matter how they are scored. A goal from a high ball is still a goal and Derry have struggled badly defensively conceding 8 goals in their last 3 matches. Armagh will test them much more than Fermanagh and Monaghan defensively.

It's no exaggeration to say that Dublin could have scored 7 or 8 against them in the League final and for me Derry haven't improved since last year. I don't think Armagh have either though based on what we've seen to date this season and neither side are AI contenders imo. It will be close and there is no real form guide or recent history between the sides but both sides will be confident and I'd expect it to go down to the wire.

win Ulster but to say we haven't improved is ridiculous. We got out of Div 2 this year have beaten the Dubs and massively upped our scoring average so I'd say that's a fair improvement.

Improvement from year to year is all you can ask. I don't think we're winning an All Ireland this year but after 2 years of Div 1 and Sam Maguire competition I expect us to win another!

It's all a matter of opinion but in looking better offensively Derry have also looked more vulnerable defensively. Whether that constitutes improvement or not is open to opinion but in their biggest test to date in Croke Park against the Dubs they were cut apart. In their defence they were missing McKaigue and Glass went off injured but it ended up a one sided affair.

I'm not sure why Derry fans are taking such umbrage at people questioning their credentials. Let's wait and see at the end of the season though when this improvement will be easier to measure. If Derry get to an AI final or show signs of progression against a Kerry, Dublin or Galway in the knock out stages I'll have to change my opinion.

Armagh18

But I could be wrong.

Derry seemed to have improved from last year, think we have as well, long time from we've won 3 games in a row. Really looking forward to seeing where we are at h

illdecide

Do any of u know when the tickets are released for the game?.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

illdecide

I genuinely don't think there's much between the two teams. Derry the slight favourites and the bookies are never too far away. Armagh are very capable of winning this but will need a big performance on the day. Will BR go back to full back to pick up Murnin?. Creeley can do a man marking job on Glass (spoil him). There are so many match ups it'll be fascinating on the day. Looking forward to it tbh. In reality will both teams be going all out to win it or is the super 16's on their minds more🤷‍♂️
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Armagh18

Quote from: illdecide on May 01, 2023, 11:59:14 PM
I genuinely don't think there's much between the two teams. Derry the slight favourites and the bookies are never too far away. Armagh are very capable of winning this but will need a big performance on the day. Will BR go back to full back to pick up Murnin?. Creeley can do a man marking job on Glass (spoil him). There are so many match ups it'll be fascinating on the day. Looking forward to it tbh. In reality will both teams be going all out to win it or is the super 16's on their minds more🤷‍♂️
Should be a cracker, very little between them. Could be right re Rodgers on Murnin, could track him when he goes out the field. Who picks up Rian then? What about Turbitt? Any chance of McFaul starting?

tonto1888

But I could be wrong.

From what I've seen of Derry the year you have definitely improved. You won't win a Sam in the next two years though

An Watcher

Yip, fairly confident that style of play will fail at croke Park otherwise all the teams would be at it

Walter Cronc

Quote from: An Watcher on May 02, 2023, 07:08:09 AM
Yip, fairly confident that style of play will fail at croke Park otherwise all the teams would be at it

Funny that. Eamon Fitzmaurice (who knows more than us) reckons the game has improved greatly and is well suited to CP!

Derryman forever

Quote from: Walter Cronc on May 02, 2023, 07:40:30 AM
Quote from: An Watcher on May 02, 2023, 07:08:09 AM

Funny that. Eamon Fitzmaurice (who knows more than us) reckons the game has improved greatly and is well suited to CP!

Derry haven't a hope,  should Rory bother taking them there at all?

jmcgdoire

Quote from: Armagh18 on May 02, 2023, 06:27:05 AM
Quote from: illdecide on May 01, 2023, 11:59:14 PM
Should be a cracker, very little between them. Could be right re Rodgers on Murnin, could track him when he goes out the field. Who picks up Rian then? What about Turbitt? Any chance of McFaul starting?

I can't imagine Rory would want to do anything this drastic but id be in favour of dropping Rogers back to pick up Rian and slotting mcfaul into midfield with clubmate Glass.
That would mean dropping a defender which isnt ideal but i dont believe C Doherty is essential to this derry team winning games.

bennydorano

Imagine if the Super 16s draw today throws up a scenario where it would be better to be Seed 2 as opposed to Seed 1, could put a dampener on things

Armagh18

Quote from: bennydorano on May 02, 2023, 09:31:12 AM
Imagine if the Super 16s draw today throws up a scenario where it would be better to be Seed 2 as opposed to Seed 1, could put a dampener on things
Don't think it'll matter. Anyway if you're a seed 1 you avoid Dublin, Kerry and Galway (barring a miracle) and you're getting a game against a provincial loser, who are going to be poor.

armaghniac

Quote from: bennydorano on May 02, 2023, 09:31:12 AM

Can it though? are Ulster and Leinster not already paired owing to the date of the first round? There might be some variation in the third and fourth seeds, but the third seeds are all decent and the fourth seeds less so, except perhaps Kildare have shown promise.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B