Wikipedia and GAA

Started by theticklemister, June 13, 2019, 03:06:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theticklemister

I am interested to find out who does all gaa work on Wikipedia. Very impressed with the records you can find now. Do the GAA employ people to carry out such work? A lot of players who are not even 'stars' have dedicated Wikipedia pages which are excentally written.

LooseCannon

Plain of the Herbs maybe? A good man for stats nevertheless.

Eamonnca1

All volunteers. Head on over to the Gaelic Athletic Association main article. There's a huge section dedicated to bashing the GAA for being a republican conspiracy, most of it written by one editor with a unionist axe to grind. Feel free to trim it back a little. I got into so many arguments with that clown over the years. He felt the need to spell out every single negative thing that was ever said about the Gah by a unionist, so I went over to the Linfield FC page and carefully listed every single sectarian incident associated with that club. They went berserk.

dec

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on June 13, 2019, 05:34:41 PM
All volunteers. Head on over to the Gaelic Athletic Association main article. There's a huge section dedicated to bashing the GAA for being a republican conspiracy, most of it written by one editor with a unionist axe to grind. Feel free to trim it back a little. I got into so many arguments with that clown over the years. He felt the need to spell out every single negative thing that was ever said about the Gah by a unionist, so I went over to the Linfield FC page and carefully listed every single sectarian incident associated with that club. They went berserk.

some person whose name is unknown? :)

Eamonnca1

Yup. Can you do me a favour and edit that immediately, Dec? I wouldn't put it past the blackguard to be Googling his own username to make sure people aren't conspiring to edit pages behind his back.

Eamonnca1

magpie seanie

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on June 13, 2019, 05:34:41 PM

You were busy so!

Eamonnca1

I had too much time on my hands back then.

theticklemister

Did I open up a can of worms?

magpie seanie

To go back to your original question - I know a lot of the Sligo GAA related pages have been updated and populated by a certain person who may frequent these boards (not myself I can assure you) and he has done a superb job.

theticklemister

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 14, 2019, 12:45:25 PM
To go back to your original question - I know a lot of the Sligo GAA related pages have been updated and populated by a certain person who may frequent these boards (not myself I can assure you) and he has done a superb job.

I do it myself for a particular county, but I find very hard and tiresome.

But looking at the archived national results in football and hurling across all the various tiers, it is simply outstanding. I was just thinking Croke park must have three or four dedicated people who do do these type of roles. Sort of like a gaa historian. That would be my dream job!