County Senior Hurling Championship Updates

Started by AZOffaly, October 04, 2016, 02:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

have the Offaly champions got a sniff of a chance here? They normally have great tradition at club level (Offaly teams) but Cuala have been on song in each game
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Milltown Row2

If Dublin could hurl with that style they'd be a a force..

Can't see Cuala losing this year,  again

GaillimhIarthair

Congrats to Liam Mellows and I'm sure there will be pleanty of celebrations around the East side of the city over the coming days and weeks - not a bad early Christmas present for a club whose last final win was back in the early '70s

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on December 03, 2017, 07:59:48 PM
Congrats to Liam Mellows and I'm sure there will be pleanty of celebrations around the East side of the city over the coming days and weeks - not a bad early Christmas present for a club whose last final win was back in the early '70s
east side?
saw a lot of flags on the west side too

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on December 03, 2017, 09:46:06 PM

east side?

Flags all over alright but Liam Mellows' base is the eastern suburbs of Renmore and Mervue and into the city centre including Bohermore and Woodquay. Hughes pub in Woodquay is the main Mellows pub in town.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on December 04, 2017, 02:49:01 AM

east side?

Flags all over alright but Liam Mellows' base is the eastern suburbs of Renmore and Mervue and into the city centre including Bohermore and Woodquay. Hughes pub in Woodquay is the main Mellows pub in town.
Crowes as well, the Western...

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on December 04, 2017, 08:02:45 AM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on December 04, 2017, 02:49:01 AM

east side?

Crowes as well, the Western...
They will all be doing good business this week!  Great managerial job by Louis Mulqueen in a very competitive senior championship.  I think that's the 5th different winner in the past 5 years?  Might be a while again before we have a team the likes of a Portumna or an Athenry dominating the local scene like times past - no bad thing really.

Milltown Row2

Yeah nothing wrong with spreading round the titles, how would they fair against the Dublin champions?

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 04, 2017, 09:13:49 AM
Yeah nothing wrong with spreading round the titles, how would they fair against the Dublin champions?
Cuala are trained by Mattie Kenny from Galway. I suppose they will have more experience .
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

johnneycool

Cuala aren't reigning AI champions for nothing and will take some stopping.

Puts a bit of perspective on Slaughtneils game against them last year. Slaughtneil will give Na Piarsaigh their fill of it in February although Na Piarsaigh also being recent previous winners will be hotly tipped.

Is big John Lee playing for Liam Mellows?
One of the many fine hurlers who for whatever reason didn't get going at intercounty level.

shark

Quote from: johnneycool on December 04, 2017, 09:49:00 AM

Puts a bit of perspective on Slaughtneils game against them last year. Slaughtneil will give Na Piarsaigh their fill of it in February although Na Piarsaigh also being recent previous winners will be hotly tipped.

One of the many fine hurlers who for whatever reason didn't get going at intercounty level.

Didn't see his name in the report, I was actually looking out for it. The best hurling match I ever witnessed was the Fitzgibbon semi in 2010 between NUIG and LIT. Lee was outstanding at centre back for NUIG. They won by 1 point after extra time. Maybe he felt working as a doctor wasn't compatible with playing intercounty.

mouview

Quote from: shark on December 04, 2017, 10:11:21 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on December 04, 2017, 09:49:00 AM

Didn't see his name in the report, I was actually looking out for it. The best hurling match I ever witnessed was the Fitzgibbon semi in 2010 between NUIG and LIT. Lee was outstanding at centre back for NUIG. They won by 1 point after extra time. Maybe he felt working as a doctor wasn't compatible with playing intercounty.

Lee did his cruciate at the start of the year and missed pretty much all of the campaign I believe. Don't know if he will be available in the new year; Mellows will have their work cut out anyway against a formidable Cuala outfit.
Lee is a trained doctor and currently doing locum experience as a GP. Was a good prospect, particularly at underage, but ultimately couldn't really commit fully due to his studies.

GalwayBayBoy

I think they'll put it up to Cuala but you'd have to make Cuala favourites. Even getting this far is massive for Mellows.

6 different winners in the last 8 years in the Galway hurling championship now. For whatever reason Galway seem to perform better when there is no dominant club side in the county. It was the same in the 1980's when there was almost a different county champion year after year.