#UnitedForEquality

Started by Truth hurts, July 04, 2023, 03:59:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavan19

Quote from: full moon on July 05, 2023, 03:42:38 PM
I question the funding off the GPA, it seems like a soapbox for wannabe politicians and is funded by the GAA to tune of 1 million euros supposedly ? So this org is being funded by GAA to slag the GAA off.

As for the merger I also question were the money is going to come from for all this, because the GAA have really milked dry fans with ticket prices and now GAA Go.

Nobody wants players put of pocket let's not forget this is an amateur sport, people don't want players out of pocket but this is not soccer that many GPA reps and players seem to want to emulate.

I don't like the hostile tone of the GPA and others constantly attacking GAA and painting it as some sexist organisation.

To keep them relevant they have to ensure that there are battles to fight.

Louther

Quote from: befair on July 05, 2023, 03:38:55 PM
A member of my family played county level football for many yrs till recently. It was a v healthy hobby, an honour to play for her county, and she made great friends. She wouldn't have dreamed of asking for expenses to pay for her hobby. Ladies football has v little money, as members of county boards would tell you; being on a county board is a thankless task

It's a good point.

Has similar a few years back in the club. Few players, usual suspects, complaining about membership, getting fed after training, travel etc.
the captain, a true diehard, came back with them and laid out what it would cost them to join a gym, get PT (coached) 3 times a week, physio session 1 a month,  bit of gear they getting and that was just the financial benefits they getting. The he asked them if they played golf, knowing the did, and what that costs them even to play in a weekly competition. All for a sport they enjoyed they get basically for free. He locked them down on that one.

Multiply that for a county player and they get multiple times. They give a lot but get it back and are entitled not to be out of pocket with what they generate. Can the ladies stand on the same footing? Not at present.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: snoopdog on July 05, 2023, 10:19:55 AM
What's the problem here. Clubs manage to look after their men's and ladies teams so why can't they all be under the GAA.
But they aren't. And the GAA commenting on LGFA or CI internal issues will set any merger back years

Baile Brigín 2

It's tediously predictable that immediately after the ladies get to join the GPA there is a strike over money.

I don't doubt they are shabbily treated, but the letter from the captains was condescending and insulting. It struck me that in asking for the impossible from the GAA that when they don't get it they will escalate on their side.

full moon

All the talk about equality but there is no equality in GAA mens county funding either, Dublin have been funded 10-15 times more than most other counties every year for possibly the past 15 years. I don't hear the GPA talking about that, glaring inequality that has had dire ramifications for the competitiveness of the mens game. The GPA have never mentioned this.

Many mens county teams can barely get enough funding, then you have places where hurling or football is a dirty word and the less popular team would get very little funding in many counties. The GAA have to spin many plates here. What about Rounders and Handball players why shouldn't they be funded the same as Camoige, LGFA or hurling/football if it's about equality??  What about mens club GAA players??

Where is the money going to come from for all this? Because right now taxpayers and GAA members are already being milked dry by GAA on ticket prices, membership fees and even now GAA Go, there has to be some sustainability and fiscal responsibility here. We need realism this is an amateur sport funded entirely by it's own members, volunteers and the state.

rrhf

I question the funding off the GPA, it seems like a soapbox for wannabe politicians and is funded by the GAA to tune of 1 million euros supposedly ? So this org is being funded by GAA to slag the GAA off.

As for the merger I also question were the money is going to come from for all this, because the GAA have really milked dry fans with ticket prices and now GAA Go.

Nobody wants players put of pocket let's not forget this is an amateur sport, people don't want players out of pocket but this is not soccer that many GPA reps and players seem to want to emulate.

I don't like the hostile tone of the GPA and others constantly attacking GAA and painting it as some sexist organisation.
I think that's a fair point.

shark

It does come down to money. The pot can only ever be so large. And if one team gets expenses then they all have to get it. And that means >1000 players across all intercounty LGFA and Camoige teams. The GPA believe themselves to be representing the elite , but there are not 1,000 elite players. Nor are there in the men's games - but the horse has bolted on that one unfortunately.

Hound

Quote from: full moon on July 05, 2023, 05:31:41 PM
All the talk about equality but there is no equality in GAA mens county funding either, Dublin have been funded 10-15 times more than most other counties every year for possibly the past 15 years. I don't hear the GPA talking about that, glaring inequality that has had dire ramifications for the competitiveness of the mens game. The GPA have never mentioned this
Again, equating games development funding and intercounty funding - two completely different things. Not a single penny of games development funding goes towards intercounty panels or anything to do with intercounty panels.

The funding Dublin intercounty teams receive from GAA coffers is exactly the same as what Kerry, Mayo, Tyrone, Kildare etc etc. In fact, it's usually a bit less because we have less travel expenses

Hound

Quote from: snoopdog on July 05, 2023, 01:27:21 PM
Dublin creates a vast amount of revenue for the GAA. Therefore they should get the vast amount of the money. If you go by the above.  And they do.  :)

Talking about Dublin will get away from the main point.

Should Leitrim footballers get the same expenses, medical, nutrionist,etc as Kerry footballers? Should Down hurlers get the same as Kilkenny hurlers?

A few posters have said the women should not get looked after because they don't generate the revenues the men do.

The problem is we shouldn't be starting from here. The women players should absolutely never be out of pocket for medical expenses arising as a result of their playing and training. Instead you have stories of players waiting months for reimbursement, spending countless hours chasing, stressful situations they should not be in.

That's also how the GPA was created. The Kerry footballers and Kilkenny had no interest in joining the GPA initially because they were getting looked after properly. Mileage paid on time, never out of pocket for medical expenses. Unfortunately many county boards used to treat players like second class citizens, whereas if they all had acted properly in the first place the GPA would never have been born.

Saffrongael

Antrim v Tipp in camogie AIFQ, would there have been 500 people in Croke park for the start of that game, and the guts of them probably Limerick or Galway supporters ? What is the point of that ?
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

johnnycool

Quote from: Cavan19 on July 05, 2023, 03:49:09 PM

To keep them relevant they have to ensure that there are battles to fight.

The GAA pulled off a master stroke getting them onboard for a few pieces of silver, better to have them under your control than being noisy neighbours..

It would be the ultimate in misogyny for the GAA to steamroller over the LGFA and Camogie Association and impose a players charter on them, not to mention the waste of time it would be and set back relations further

Baile Brigín 2

The usuals were going mad that the Kilkenny hurling and Kilkenny camogie men of the matches on the same day got different prizes. He got a crystal hurl statue, she got a digital radio.

Pure misogyny. If you ignore the fact it was different sponsors in a different sport run by a different association

johnnycool

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 12, 2023, 11:00:57 AM
The usuals were going mad that the Kilkenny hurling and Kilkenny camogie men of the matches on the same day got different prizes. He got a crystal hurl statue, she got a digital radio.

Pure misogyny. If you ignore the fact it was different sponsors in a different sport run by a different association

Saw that, the digital radio is probably more beneficial to Denise Gaule at this stage, she's probably got loads of bits of plastic and glass cluttering up her cupboards now I'd have thought, top class camog.

If they'd have given her an iron or a food blender, then the twitterati would have exploded and be gunning for the GAA even though it's nothing to do with them.
;D

Kidder81

Weather not great but would there be 10k at these All Ireland Camogie semi finals ?

naka

Survey out for members on the amalgamation .