Venues

Started by Sidney, July 25, 2015, 10:08:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: Sidney on July 27, 2015, 11:00:21 AM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on July 27, 2015, 10:05:38 AM
Quote from: Sidney on July 25, 2015, 10:08:31 PM
The fixing of venues for some championship matches is bizarre.

3,815 attended this evening's Cork v Kildare match. Why Thurles, why vast swathes of empty seats and terracing? There is no reason why this could not have been played at a more suitable venue, such as Nowlan Park, Portlaoise, or hell, even Nenagh or Kilmallock.

Longford played Kildare in Round 3. Longford should have had home advantage, but given that the capacity of Pearse Park was reduced to 8,000, the ground was deemed to be too small and the match was moved to Mullingar, thus depriving Longford of home advantage. 5,914 people turned up, which Pearse Park could easily have handled. Why did Longford not object to that match being moved, given that their already slim chance of victory was clearly lessened by the venue switch?

My favourite decision of this type was in 2002, when Wicklow drew Kerry at home in the qualifiers. Aughrim's 7,000 capacity was deemed to be insufficient for a match that was "bound to attract huge interest", so it was moved to Portlaoise, where it drew circa 1,200 people. What wonderful planning that was.

The public reaction to one of the GAA's occasional sensible venue decisions, to stage last year's Kerry-Mayo replay in Limerick, was also strange. The venue choice was heavily criticised, much of this criticism on the basis that the 45,000 capacity would prove insufficient to satisfy demand from the paying public. Yet only 36,000 people turned up.

I would advise those who dislike feeling lonely to stay away from Croke Park next Saturday. There will be tumbleweed blowing through the place. I hereby set the spread on the attendance at 11,003 and a half persons. 10/11 under, 10/11 over.

Speaking as someone who was at that match, it was sold out, it was a bit chaotic outside before the match it looked like they might have to delay the match because nothing was moving but I think they just stopped scanning peoples tickets. It was all a disaster from start to end.
36k looked an accurate measurement of the attendance to me.

Oh Sidney, you are not back to telling us the best venues for us country folk to have our games in? Oh prey tell us of your mad adventures around the country to watch the Dubs play championship games. Tell us of 1983 again. Go on!

Lone Shark

3,815 attended this evening's Cork v Kildare match. Why Thurles, why vast swathes of empty seats and terracing? There is no reason why this could not have been played at a more suitable venue, such as Nowlan Park, Portlaoise, or hell, even Nenagh or Kilmallock.

Longford played Kildare in Round 3. Longford should have had home advantage, but given that the capacity of Pearse Park was reduced to 8,000, the ground was deemed to be too small and the match was moved to Mullingar, thus depriving Longford of home advantage. 5,914 people turned up, which Pearse Park could easily have handled. Why did Longford not object to that match being moved, given that their already slim chance of victory was clearly lessened by the venue switch?

My favourite decision of this type was in 2002, when Wicklow drew Kerry at home in the qualifiers. Aughrim's 7,000 capacity was deemed to be insufficient for a match that was "bound to attract huge interest", so it was moved to Portlaoise, where it drew circa 1,200 people. What wonderful planning that was.

The public reaction to one of the GAA's occasional sensible venue decisions, to stage last year's Kerry-Mayo replay in Limerick, was also strange. The venue choice was heavily criticised, much of this criticism on the basis that the 45,000 capacity would prove insufficient to satisfy demand from the paying public. Yet only 36,000 people turned up.

I would advise those who dislike feeling lonely to stay away from Croke Park next Saturday. There will be tumbleweed blowing through the place. I hereby set the spread on the attendance at 11,003 and a half persons. 10/11 under, 10/11 over.

That there is some logic here is clear, but some of the examples you use are terrible. For example, there is no way that Pearse Park could safely hold 8000 people with the stand completely out of commission, as it is. I've been in Pearse Park several times this summer and I would be amazed if any more than 3000 people could get into it safely as it exists now.

Similarly, there is no way that a Slattery report would clear Aughrim for 7,000 people - though admittedly, you are referring to 2002 when such restrictions may not have been in force.

Also, when Croke Park is part of the equation, other factors come into play. There are people that go to games in Croke Park simply because of the occasion, and the truth of it is that players relish the chance to go there as well. I was reporting on the All Ireland Junior semi final in Tullamore on Saturday, and I spoke with the Mayo captain afterwards - he was very keen to see the final played in Croker. And it's not as if Mayo vs Kerry junior would bring a big crowd up there.

Sidney

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 27, 2015, 11:26:07 AM

Speaking as someone who was at that match, it was sold out, it was a bit chaotic outside before the match it looked like they might have to delay the match because nothing was moving but I think they just stopped scanning peoples tickets. It was all a disaster from start to end.

Oh Sidney, you are not back to telling us the best venues for us country folk to have our games in? Oh prey tell us of your mad adventures around the country to watch the Dubs play championship games. Tell us of 1983 again. Go on!
I can tell you of yesterday, mate. Dublin played a senior championship match outside Dublin yesterday.

I still can't believe we found Thurles, to be honest. It was a bit scary going outside the Pale. God knows what would have happened if we'd had to travel to Limerick.

muppet

Quote from: Sidney on July 27, 2015, 11:40:13 AM

I can tell you of yesterday, mate. Dublin played a senior championship match outside Dublin yesterday.

I still can't believe we found Thurles, to be honest. It was a bit scary going outside the Pale. God knows what would have happened if we'd had to travel to Limerick.

How did ye get on?
MWWSI 2017

Mayo4Sam14

That was the hurlers, when did footballers play a championship game outside Croker?
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

From the Bunker

Quote from: Sidney on July 27, 2015, 11:40:13 AM

Ye are safe enough, No chance of any Dublin team being asked to play an AI semi final in Limerick!  ;)

Premier Emperor

3,815 attended this evening's Cork v Kildare match. Why Thurles, why vast swathes of empty seats and terracing?
Not to mention the damage such a meaningless football match does to the famed pitch.
A Tipperary junior final would have a bigger gate.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Premier Emperor on July 27, 2015, 05:55:29 PM

3,815 attended this evening's Cork v Kildare match. Why Thurles, why vast swathes of empty seats and terracing?
Not to mention the damage such a meaningless football match does to the famed pitch.
A Tipperary junior final would have a bigger gate.

Have any of the smaller venues got Floodlights and proper toilets! Game had to be at the time it was at for TV!

Beantown

Quote from: mayo.mick on July 26, 2015, 09:51:41 PM
Quote from: Beantown on July 26, 2015, 09:10:38 PM
Surely we know by now that Gaa hierarchy and common sense dont mix.  It's a great feeling going to croke park and no doubt the players love playing there but for example next Saturdays qualifiers should be at a smaller ground  that would generate a good atmosphere and would have the feel of a championship game..  There seems to be a push to put games in the biggest ground available yet invariably the grounds end up being half full at best... Cork v Kikdare in tipp seems logical from a geographical point if view but surely Kilkenny would have made more sense from a spectator and atmosphere point of view.  Lower the prices and encourage people to travel.

Wash your mouth out!  :P

Haha.. Nearly choked writing that... Ok forget lower , free tickets for all kids under 30!!

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: Beantown on July 28, 2015, 08:44:29 PM
Surely we know by now that Gaa hierarchy and common sense dont mix.  It's a great feeling going to croke park and no doubt the players love playing there but for example next Saturdays qualifiers should be at a smaller ground  that would generate a good atmosphere and would have the feel of a championship game..  There seems to be a push to put games in the biggest ground available yet invariably the grounds end up being half full at best... Cork v Kikdare in tipp seems logical from a geographical point if view but surely Kilkenny would have made more sense from a spectator and atmosphere point of view.  Lower the prices and encourage people to travel.

Haha.. Nearly choked writing that... Ok forget lower , free tickets for all kids under 30!!

Months?
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Beantown

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on July 28, 2015, 08:46:28 PM
Quote from: Beantown on July 28, 2015, 08:44:29 PM

Months?

Sure where is the fun in that.. 30 years.....Think of all the money spent on burgers and expensive programmes..

Beantown

To be serious for 30 seconds... there are too many games played at bigger vacuous venues, that provide no atmosphere....Provincial councils wants 35-45000 capacity stadiums that will only be filled once a year at best.. The days of big crowds for games other than provincial finals are long gone... Smaller grounds with better facilities would be better

Syferus

Quote from: Beantown on July 28, 2015, 08:56:04 PM
To be serious for 30 seconds... there are too many games played at bigger vacuous venues, that provide no atmosphere....Provincial councils wants 35-45000 capacity stadiums that will only be filled once a year at best.. The days of big crowds for games other than provincial finals are long gone... Smaller grounds with better facilities would be better

20k at the Mayo-Ros Connacht semi-final two years ago..

Beantown

Quote from: Syferus on July 28, 2015, 09:02:15 PM

20k at the Mayo-Ros Connacht semi-final two years ago..

2 years ago.... These crowds are few and far between for non-provincial finals.  How many at ros v Sligo this year? Mostly a healthy 15-18000 turn up for the bigger games.

Owenmoresider

True, and it's worse for the NFL and club championships, playing games which barely break 5-6k in big county grounds is madness, our neighbours are big culprits for that.