Wicklow V Sligo (Winners takes it all)

Started by SLIGONIAN, April 03, 2007, 01:48:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SLIGONIAN

Its one thing being settled but I dont see McNamara startin centre back. Id be worried if he did. He hasnt played well enough there to justify him staying there.
Also I have big question mark over Kerian Quinn. To me hes not a starter for championship. For a big lad he never catches a ball in midfield and got injured sunday. Looked leggy and didnt really add anything to the win. Donkey work dont reall y see him doing that either.
Obviously Gerry Mcgowan wont start again as he was useless.

I would definitly start J Martyn centre back. He was impressive at start of year only for the injury is preventing getting back.

One of the most interesting things last couple a weeks was DOOHAN and MCGARTY were on subs bench last 4 weeks and no run out or anything. Must not be fully fit but cant be a million miles away.

My Team to CSFC start based on the fact I was at all FBD and League games except Wexford is:

Greene
Harrison
McGuire
Donovan
J Davey
J Martyn
P McGovern
O Hara
Taylor
S Davey
Brehony
Curran
D Kelly
Sweeney
McNamara or Gallagher

Doohan, Mcgarty, egan, marren, quinn all my first choice subs who can make an impact.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

magpie seanie

The jury is still out on McNamara at centre back but I'd like to see it persisted with. It could have potential. Jonny Martyn is unlucky to not be in the team as he was playing great stuff early in the year but he'll get his chance again. We know what he can do so I reckon Breheny will continue looking at McNamara at centre back in challenges etc.

QuoteI have big question mark over Kerian Quinn. To me hes not a starter for championship. For a big lad he never catches a ball in midfield and got injured sunday. Looked leggy and didnt really add anything to the win.

You're in a small, bitter minority if you have doubts about Kieran, especially after the last two games. Now I wasn't there but from speaking to several who were there and listening to the radio your above statement is rubbish. Plain and simple. You obviously have some sort of issue with him but I coudn't let that tripe pass. It really annoys me. I heard fellas from your neck of the woods giving out about him the first time he got the ball against Meath. He proceded to evade two tackles and lay off a good ball so we made sure to tell your clubmates. There are none so blind as those who do not want to see.

Buckass

Well Sligonian, I guess its good that enough players are showing well to generate debate on a starting 15. It leaves Tommy B in a good position as there are players to bring on(J Martyn def being high up that list) who can make a difference. My side would be:
Green
Harrison
McGuire
Donovan
Davey
O'Hara
McGovern
Quinn
Taylor
Davey
Breheny
Curran
Kelly
McNamara
Egan/K o'Neill
Still not convinced on McNamara @ cb. Hands up..wasn't at Wicklow game but the ease with which Antrim seared through our centre was worrying. Think Eamonn could do a job there.
Quinn is a certainty at mf. He's getting back to himself. Tony T has really started to open his shoulders and his ball winning and tackling bode well. A good tall mf pairing that will ensure we at least break even.
I like mano's suggestion of Egan as roaming cf.Would see Karol O'Neill as an option there too and prob better score taker. Don't see Sweeney as a reliable player come ch'ship.
Forward line is a bit of a lottery.The key is to have Davey and Breheny(usually quiet against bigger teams in ch'ship) as they are the source of most of our scores. Sean is a real enigma...listening to the Wicklow game he seemed to have a stormer yet vs. Antrim he looked like a lad brought down out of the stands.
It's the challenge game circuit to find a settled team now.If ye want a bet lads...try www.cashmans.ie( Cork bookies) ...we're 12/1 for Connaught. Put on a 100e and if we make the final(ie beat Ros) and ye get itchy feet ye can always cover the bet with a bit on opposition! ::)

magpie seanie

Never thought about O'Hara at 6. Mano - did you ever see him play there at club level? Interesting buckass I must say.

I take it you were at the minor game last night. Hear it was a good performance, second half especially.

Mano

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 10, 2007, 12:52:28 PM
Never thought about O'Hara at 6. Mano - did you ever see him play there at club level? Interesting buckass I must say.
He played 6 a few years back when there was a few injuries in that position. He was able to surge forward and create scores but left a lot of space for the centre forward and you can't do that at county level.

I would find a place for Egan in the championship team preferably in the forwards. He was a forward all his life until Coirrigan put him at centre back 3 years ago. He is at his best i believe dropping back as a wing forward or corner forward and runnig at defences.

There are a lot of options on the bench this year which can only be good for competition for places.

I also would persist with Quinn. It is his first year back at this level after a break of a few years and i think he has done well. We don't have an abundance of high fielding midfielders in the county at the mement and i think Eamonn might be better placed on the wing.

SLIGONIAN

Att Magpie Seanie : Whats the point arguing with me when you werent at the last 2 games? If I wasnt at the games I wouldnt comment like after the wexford game. I have to see for myself. I dont expect you to agree either because your a Coolera stranhill man. If I told you I spoke to quinn this year and think hes a sound fella would you believe me? All I care about is Sligo football. To say Ive something against him or any Sligo player is delusional and something for you to look at yourself.

All I said is he never catches a ball which is true. He tries to break it every time which then turns into lottery of break winners. Did he add to Sligos performance last sunday well you werent there so can you say Im talking rubbish. Quinn just doesnt cut it for those reasons and to my eyes he is slow but to yours hes a greyhound. Fair enough neither of us pick the team so our opinions dont really count. Oh and alot of people would agree with me too but it doesnt make a difference because I trust my own judgement.

Mano O Hara at 6 could be best call Ive heard in a long time. Id have s davey at midfield then with taylor. Maybe put martyn half forward. Lots of options which is good.

Mano

Its good to have so many options a few weeks away from championship. One which has been tried before and has failed is Davey at midfield. He simply does not defend in that position, his workrate for a midfielder is poor and he doesn't catch any ball either. I would have him on edge of the square or on the wing as he is accurate in front of goal. Also Martyn will come into contention but in fullback or half back line.

Buckass

On that bet..pcsports in Galway have Sligo at 14/1.
Ya good performance Seanie. Good team spirit with them.
What I'd like about Eamonn at 6 is his relish of the big hit and speed in on breaks. I take your point Mano on the high fielding stakes but there's rarely more than a half dozen clean catches in a ch'ship game now. looking to the Ros game there's a good chance he will have to take O'Neill again as he did last time in the Hyde(Remember..O'Neill gave a display for 20 on Maye be4 O'Hara took his mind off the ball).
Also referring to Sligonian's point, it's interesting that Sligo's best periods of play have been at times when Eamonn has been off(vs Leitrim in FBD, Vs Antrim @ end, Wicklow). Dunno if it's the 14-man syndrome(or a vrsion of it in  Aughrim) or just a coincidence.
Sligonian, fair play..you made the Aughrim journey so you're a/c is primary. However, the handful of lads(from a couple of different clubs) that I talked to said Quinn played well and worked hard. Davey is a non-runner @ midfield simply because he has no reverse gear.Martyn @ half forward...don't think he'd pick himself there.
It's amazing..when the smell of cut grass hits the nostrils there's always optimism aplenty. 14/1 is a pessimist's price!

magpie seanie

Sligonian - I was at the Antrim game and it was clear that Quinner helped to lift things round the middle when he came on. The rest of your rant like Davey in midfield and Martyn in the half forward line speaks volumes for your judgement.

SLIGONIAN

2 things I noticed this year was martyn was accurate from play and found himself forward against tipp and wat and took all his chances. His passing into frowards was top class too. Other thing was S Davey was no good with back to goal in FF position. Looked way more comfortable facing the goals. He was switched to midfield sun and did very well. So I definitly wouldnt put him FF and martyn I think has potential qualities for a half forward.

SLIGONIAN

Good comeback and I would expect knit picking at this stage. As plain for everyone to see I picked my SLIGO CSFC team above so refer to that. I am merely suggesting that these drastic enough positional switches be tried in challenges so dont take them too serious.....and who knows mcgarty and doohan may stake claims for starting. I remember J Martyn didnt start a league game and sligo played donegal in a challenege and he destroyed devenny and started in CSFC marking frankie dolan. No disputing Quinn works and gives it everything. Fair play to him and more than likely will start but I wouldnt start him.

baoithe

Fair play to ya Sligonian. If nothing else you've got a bit of a debate going which is a welcome return to Sligo related threads.

SLIGONIAN

Thanks, the more interest in Sligo football the better. We might all have different ideas, opinions etc but rememeber we are all one at the end of the day. That is we are all from Sligo so lets stick together and support the boys everywhere they go. No doubt this summer will be a rollercoaster of emotions but we love it. ;D

all star

Quinner nice fella, played on him a couple of times recently his best days are behind him he was a good servant to Sligo football but if the team is to progress this year we have to move on. There is still a place for him in the panel he could be used as a good old traditional spoiler for 20 minutes if we were in trouble around the middle of the field. A good lad gave it all for the county down through the years but every dog has his day. 

Looking forward to league games this weekend at least the county players are back with their clubs.

Sligo clubs should follow mayo lead and introduce the quota system were county players must play 80% of club league games.

Was talking to a mayo footballer Sunday night and after playing against Tyrone in the league he was turning out for his club on the bank holiday Monday and mayo with a league semi final on the Sunday against galway.

If Sligo was in a similar position club league games would be called off for a month.

The county Board fixtures committee should take a long hard look at them selves. Its harder at the moment to get off the county panel than it is to get on it.

Sligo county players should play 80% of the club league games and then maybe the standard of club football might go up a small bit in Sligo and improve the quality of county players.     

magpie seanie

I'm not going to go over old ground on Quinner so I'll just agree to disagree strongly with you.

I suggest we move the club stuff onto the other thread.