RG at arms length

Started by seafoid, May 15, 2023, 11:40:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saffrongael

So was Meenagh willing to stay but given a gentle push ?
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Wildweasel74

Lads u worse than a bunch of gossiping woman, O'Rourke was always getting it, and that was going round awhile. I had hoped Meenagh stay on with him, not even sure why the Gallagher stuff popped up, Derry were never gonna bother with him again, and he only been mentioned as he been seen with Corduff this week.

Silver hill

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on September 13, 2023, 11:51:27 PM
Lads u worse than a bunch of gossiping woman, O'Rourke was always getting it, and that was going round awhile. I had hoped Meenagh stay on with him, not even sure why the Gallagher stuff popped up, Derry were never gonna bother with him again, and he only been mentioned as he been seen with Corduff this week.

Weasel, you are the gossip here.
Derry (as in the inner circle of CEO, Chair, PRO and main sponsor) were hell bent on reinstating RG, irrespective of the consequences or blowback. As close as last week, they were going to announce this, until it was scuppered by the Ulster Council statement outlining the fact that TG was still debarred from the association. Meenagh remained in situ for 57 days as he too thought Gallagher would be returning. Once it became clear he wasn't CM announced he wouldn't be returning. As for your statement re the Glen manager Malachy O'Rourke, again, like the various articles doing the rounds in the Irish news and Bel Tel, it's just poorly researched idle speculation.

tbrick18

Quote from: Silver hill on September 14, 2023, 07:43:54 AM

Derry (as in the inner circle of CEO, Chair, PRO and main sponsor) were hell bent on reinstating RG, irrespective of the consequences or blowback. As close as last week, they were going to announce this, until it was scuppered by the Ulster Council statement outlining the fact that TG was still debarred from the association. Meenagh remained in situ for 57 days as he too thought Gallagher would be returning. Once it became clear he wasn't CM announced he wouldn't be returning. As for your statement re the Glen manager Malachy O'Rourke, again, like the various articles doing the rounds in the Irish news and Bel Tel, it's just poorly researched idle speculation.

This feels like it could be along the lines of what happened. Always got the feeling Meenagh didn't want to be the man in the spotlight out front, but I actually think he could be a bigger loss that RG in the long run.
A lot of what I heard was that he was the tactician behind the scenes that created the style of play to make us harder to beat which ultimately led to promotions back up through the divisions.
I'm not sure that the inner circle, as you call them, were hell bent on reinstating RG but I would imagine in footballing terms they were probably thinking that we need that continuity to push us over the line.
New management might also push us on, but we could also slip back initially depending on what approach they decide to take.
Personally, I thought they would wait until the Ulster Council had finished what ever review they are doing and if it was positive they could be more comfortable in re-appointing him with some of the flak going the ulster council way. But it seems that is not the case.

We just need to draw a line under RG and Meenagh now and try to move forward, unless MOR doesn't want the Derry job. In that case, I'd be hell bent on getting Meenagh back in some capacity.

the goal was on

Quote from: tbrick18 on September 14, 2023, 10:13:19 AM

This feels like it could be along the lines of what happened. Always got the feeling Meenagh didn't want to be the man in the spotlight out front, but I actually think he could be a bigger loss that RG in the long run.
A lot of what I heard was that he was the tactician behind the scenes that created the style of play to make us harder to beat which ultimately led to promotions back up through the divisions.
I'm not sure that the inner circle, as you call them, were hell bent on reinstating RG but I would imagine in footballing terms they were probably thinking that we need that continuity to push us over the line.
New management might also push us on, but we could also slip back initially depending on what approach they decide to take.
Personally, I thought they would wait until the Ulster Council had finished what ever review they are doing and if it was positive they could be more comfortable in re-appointing him with some of the flak going the ulster council way. But it seems that is not the case.

We just need to draw a line under RG and Meenagh now and try to move forward, unless MOR doesn't want the Derry job. In that case, I'd be hell bent on getting Meenagh back in some capacity.

deluded. as much as i wouldnt be fan of rorys style or behaviour on line it was his work and methods that brought derry forward. If he hadnt came in it would never happened. More believeable is the likelihood that gallagher was still calling the shots alongside his brother right up until the semi defeat.

Captain Obvious

Calling out some gossip with gossip/speculation of your own.

Silver hill

Quote from: Captain Obvious on September 14, 2023, 05:05:18 PM

Calling out some gossip with gossip/speculation of your own.

I can assure you, none of what I've said above is gossip.

Captain Obvious

seafoid

Would Ross Byrne be better than Paddy Jackson?

I don't think it matters how good RG is if he is a liability.

rrhf

Derry can be happy that their decision making ability was helped by the Sunday World...

ck

Quote from: rrhf on September 15, 2023, 02:18:29 PM
Derry can be happy that their decision making ability was helped by the Sunday World...

Absolutely correct.
It took a tabloid rag to expose the inept way that Derry have handled this from start to finish. Their hand was forced on a number of occasions and even up until last week have been trying to bring RG back in. Their ability to read the room has been non existent and they deserve all the criticism that comes their way. Any Derry Gaels I know are disgusted by the whole thing, and relieved that Croke Park stepped in to say that RG is barred from the association.

Silver hill

Quote from: rrhf on September 15, 2023, 02:18:29 PM
[/quote

Depends on your outlook...from an inner circle perspective, it was very bad timing (as they wanted to announce his return) however, from a wider brand Derry outlook. It was a timely intervention.
However, don't rule out Derry trying again to bring RG back in a few months, irrespective of Dermot McPeake's statement to the Irish News.

seafoid

Meenagh is very employable

He is one of the younger generation of managers with really good ideas.

https://twitter.com/TheSundayGame/status/1680631410552340482

Davy Burke
Ros https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rIq_p8Btzg&t=6180s

Corey https://twitter.com/TheSundayGame/status/1680291132675112962

They do scenarios and are good tactically and man managers plus they are good on TV.

Captain Obvious

All the gossip/speculation on this thread and wasn't one mention of Mickey Harte to become the new Derry manager. No doubt some chap will be on here shortly to say that appointment was known weeks ago

Derryman forever

Quote from: Captain Obvious on September 18, 2023, 09:55:50 PMAll the gossip/speculation on this thread and wasn't one mention of Mickey Harte to become the new Derry manager. No doubt some chap will be on here shortly to say that appointment was known weeks ago
that appointment was known weeks ago.

Unfortunately noone had told me.