Hawkeye

Started by Orangemac, February 23, 2011, 11:56:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: the Deel Rover on August 19, 2013, 02:46:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHfKRPbGi8U&feature=player_embedded

This is the hawkeye Decision Az

I know that, I was watching the game :D  what I'm telling you is that the GAA said that the graphic shown (of the ball going outside the post) was INCORRECT. They said the ball was actually wide, and the flaw was that Hawkeye was showing an incorrect representation on the screen. The end decision 'MISS' was correct (According to them).

AZOffaly

Quote from: easytiger95 on August 19, 2013, 02:49:24 PM
Obviously Plan B hadn't kicked in at that stage and they were trying to spare the ref's blushes. When the technology is in any way in question, the ref gets hung out to dry unfortunately - as I mentioned before about the Ashes, the unreliability of the DRS has completely undermined the umpires confidence in their own decisions, ironically leading to far more disputed decisions.
However I do think the GAa have to stick with/improve Hawkeye. Is there any more magnificent sight in sport then one umpire flagging a point while the other crosses his arms?

Are you saying that the GAA lied to us???? Perish the thought. Have they since contradicted what they said yesterday, or are you speculating?

the Deel Rover

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 19, 2013, 02:51:17 PM
Quote from: the Deel Rover on August 19, 2013, 02:46:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHfKRPbGi8U&feature=player_embedded

This is the hawkeye Decision Az

I know that, I was watching the game :D  what I'm telling you is that the GAA said that the graphic shown (of the ball going outside the post) was INCORRECT. They said the ball was actually wide, and the flaw was that Hawkeye was showing an incorrect representation on the screen. The end decision 'MISS' was correct (According to them).

;D Ah feck it I don't know what you on about Az  :D
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

AZOffaly

I'll try again. :D

The GAA are saying that what was shown on the screen as the ball flight was incorrect. They are saying the actual ball flight was wide, and was correctly flagged as a miss. The issue they had was that it appeared on the screen as if it went between the posts.

So, it was a wide, but Hawkeye's fancy graphic made it look as if it was over.

easytiger95

From what I heard on Morning Ireland, Alan Milton was saying that the tracking equipment was functioning properly and Hawkeye represented it a point correctly. The malfunction came when translating that result into the end graphic which announces the result. That's how I understood the interview.

AZOffaly

That's exactly the opposite of what they said yesterday.  Read the Irish Independent reports by the way, talk about unclear...

"The game will be forever remembered for the Barry Nash point that was ruled as a miss by hawkeye but overruled by the match officials."

followed by

"The GAA confirmed at the break that hawkeye had awarded a point in the first half that was in fact wide and correctly overruled."

In the same article, about 10 lines apart!

the Deel Rover

I hear what your saying Now Az . Some one from the gaa would want to clarify the matter .
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

easytiger95

Article on RTE.ie - clear as mud as to what was exactly wrong.

[i]Hawk-Eye was dropped for the All-Ireland Hurling Championship semi-final between Limerick and Clare after an error in the minor game earlier in the day.

Limerick's Barry Nash shot towards goal in the first minute of the game with Galway and referee Fergal Horgan referred to the new technology.

The graphic showed that the sliotar had gone inside the post but 'Miss' came up on the screen.

The referee had little choice but to give a wide.

The game finished level after normal time meaning the decision was vital to the outcome, with Galway winning in extra-time.

The GAA said in a statement issued this evening: "Following an inconsistency in the generation of a graphic by Hawkeye during today's minor hurling semi-final, the decision was taken to suspend use of the score detection system for the senior game.

A full review of the technology, in conjunction with Hawkeye, commenced this evening and its finding will be examined by the GAA tomorrow.

It is expected that Hawkeye will be in full working order for next Sunday's minor and senior football semi-finals.
[/i]

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 19, 2013, 02:52:22 PM
Obviously Plan B hadn't kicked in at that stage and they were trying to spare the ref's blushes. When the technology is in any way in question, the ref gets hung out to dry unfortunately - as I mentioned before about the Ashes, the unreliability of the DRS has completely undermined the umpires confidence in their own decisions, ironically leading to far more disputed decisions.
However I do think the GAa have to stick with/improve Hawkeye. Is there any more magnificent sight in sport then one umpire flagging a point while the other crosses his arms?

Are you saying that the GAA lied to us???? Perish the thought. Have they since contradicted what they said yesterday, or are you speculating?

I think they are. From the TV replays it looked a point. The umpires waved the white flag to indicate it was a point. The keeper touched the crossbar with his hurl, which sportingly acknowledges the point.

My guesstimate is that the ref got a call from the Hawkeye official to say that Hawkeye disagreed with the point being awarded. The graphic replay shows what happened in real time, the ball went just inside the post. However, for some reason, the message came up Miss instead of Score. Massive fcuk up and they're now taking the Pat McQuaid stance on it. They should have held their hands up and just turned it off and on again.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

mouview

If Hawkeye got a straight red yesterday, doesn't it have to miss the next game? Can it appeal?

blanketattack

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on August 19, 2013, 04:05:03 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 19, 2013, 02:52:22 PM

I think they are. From the TV replays it looked a point. The umpires waved the white flag to indicate it was a point. The keeper touched the crossbar with his hurl, which sportingly acknowledges the point.

My guesstimate is that the ref got a call from the Hawkeye official to say that Hawkeye disagreed with the point being awarded. The graphic replay shows what happened in real time, the ball went just inside the post. However, for some reason, the message came up Miss instead of Score. Massive fcuk up and they're now taking the Pat McQuaid stance on it. They should have held their hands up and just turned it off and on again.

I'm pretty sure goalies don't hit the crossbar with their hurleys to sportingly acknowledge a point.

AZOffaly

You're from Kerry, what would you know about it? :D

Only slagging, yes I think saying that that is a sporting acknowledgement is a bit of a stretch, but it is true enough that the goalies tend to only do that when they think it is a point. You rarely if ever see them doing that for a wide. It's like a reaction.

Croí na hÉireann

That mightn't read great. Yes, of course it's a reaction rather the the hurling equivalent of tapping the cushion with the snooker cue. It is a nice tradition though, drilled out of the senior inter county game. And with good reason I suppose.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

rrhf

The replay is the only fair decision here. 
However as tough as it has been on limerick they must revel in what has been a uniquely Irish fcuk up, somebody actually paid money for this.  As I asked in a previous thread who will get the chop?

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Seems that there is a different equation or set of numbers to be entered for football and hurling. Someone entered the numbers for football into the system for one of the goals. Seems the sensors could not properly determine had the sliotar passed through because it was searching for a ball of size 5.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.