Hawkeye

Started by Orangemac, February 23, 2011, 11:56:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

I have a feeling its not working and a second feeling that the Croke Park/GPA guys behind it will make it work, even though it dosent work really.   

deiseach

Quote from: The Insider on August 18, 2013, 11:25:22 PM
Shame that it happened in a minor game as more than likely it will be forgotten in a couple of days ,but had it happened in the senior game the s**t would have hit the fan.

Good point. I've been wondering why there isn't a bigger stink over this, but it's not every year I have skin in the outcome of a Minor semi-final.

AZOffaly

Quote from: mylestheslasher on August 18, 2013, 07:56:36 PM
Quote from: Whishtup on August 18, 2013, 07:49:18 PM
Quote from: easytiger95 on August 18, 2013, 05:06:46 PM
I've seen it happen at tennis tournaments were Hawkeye can be suspended. Though I think that this could merely be a graphic error, in that the technology itself was giving the correct result (i.e. showing the ball go through the posts), but it was in the relaying of it that the error occurred. It might just be someone with an itchy finger pressing the wrong button. They need to get protocols in place for this (if there is an operator in place with this kit there should a radio comms link with the ref).

Anyone who has been watching the Ashes this season can see the problems that over reliance on technology can cause ( and I'm speaking as someone who would have been gung ho for it to be used) I see there is controversy in the senior game over a point allowed to Limerick. Anyone have a tin opener for this can of worms?

They're surely not using human intervention to make the final call?  Vision system sofware is so highly advanced these days that you can track an object of any colour using blob analysis and neural networks.  Look at what you can do with a Kinect.   The graphical display and result is a sham to make us think that the decision is automated-it clearly isn't.  The graphical display is also poor by modern standards.  There were several contentious points in the minor game today so it is a pretty important requirement for hurling...

I've a fair bit of knowledge on vision system and sensors through work and this hawkeye seems to be the most over engineered method possible to do this job. Seems more interested in aesthetics and fancy graphics than being a cost effective solution. Anyway, the first things that should have been done, before this Hawkeye nonsense is as follows...

Make goalposts 10 feet higher.
Paint goal posts black or blue (anything but white) or use a black/blue football
Use normal TV playback to determine any dodgy ones.

I bet that would clarify 95% of cases for a fraction of 250k.

Jaysus you can't have black or blue posts. If I'm 90 yards out taking a free in hurling, I'd at least like to be able to see the posts!

Ash Smoker

Make the ball a bright colour.
Tennis balls used to be white years ago before they wisely opted to change the colour.

Jinxy

The emperor has no clothes.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

easytiger95

I wasn't saying that they would use human intervention to judge the result - clearly the technology did that successfully but the interface between that system and the TV/screens graphic failed. For instance, when a rugby ref goes to the video ref, he examines all the images and indicates whether it is a try to the match director and the graphics op in the tv truck firstly, and secondly to the actual ref on the pitch. This gives the graphics operator time to cue the try awarded/no try graphics and then these are rolled in at the same time the match ref is told.

I think the nature of the Hawkeye technology would mean that is is far more automated than this, but I would be hugely surprised if there was not Hawkeye staff there monitoring - in this case if there was a radio link between the ref and those staff he could say "There's clearly a contradiction here - instruct me on whether the point stands or not" and they could say whether it was a Hawkeye malfunction or a merely  a graphics malfunction. Not ideal, but the optimum outcome should be the point awarded, no matter how long it took or how awkward it looked.

If the graphic function for Hawkeye is actually operated from the TV truck there is a good possibility it was simply human error - don't know whether that was the case or not.

AZOffaly

Hang on though lads. I thought the story was that it *was* actually a wide, and it was just the graphical representation that was wrong. In otherwords the ball went wide, but the graphic made it look over?

easytiger95

My understanding was that the ball was over - ref went for confirmation, technology showed it over, graphic called it wrong. That's certainly the line that Alan Milton was pushing this morning.

Bensars

The point was good
The simulated grapic afterwards of the ball in motion was good
The caption following the simulation  stated MISS, whic was obviously wrong, instead of  score or whatever

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Bensars on August 19, 2013, 02:31:24 PM
The point was good
The simulated grapic afterwards of the ball in motion was good
The caption following the simulation  stated MISS, whic was obviously wrong, instead of  score or whatever

They should have had a plan b 
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

AZOffaly

That's not what the GAA said yesterday. They said just after half time in the minor game that the decision was correct...

the Deel Rover

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 19, 2013, 02:33:44 PM
That's not what the GAA said yesterday. They said just after half time in the minor game that the decision was correct...

Well the graphic clearly showed that is was a point however it come up as a miss instead of a score .
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

AZOffaly

This is the tweet I saw yesterday during the match.. Peter Sweeney is the Star reporter.

QuotePeter Sweeney ‏@Sweeney_Peter 23h

The GAA insist that the Limerick effort shown by Hawk-Eye to be a score was in fact wide so the ref was right not to award the point.
Expand

Retweet
    Favorite

Peter Sweeney ‏@Sweeney_Peter 23h

The problem with Hawk-Eye today, we're told, is that the on-screen graphic isn't matching the decision so the system has been withdrawn.

the Deel Rover

Crossmolina Deel Rovers

easytiger95

Obviously Plan B hadn't kicked in at that stage and they were trying to spare the ref's blushes. When the technology is in any way in question, the ref gets hung out to dry unfortunately - as I mentioned before about the Ashes, the unreliability of the DRS has completely undermined the umpires confidence in their own decisions, ironically leading to far more disputed decisions.
However I do think the GAa have to stick with/improve Hawkeye. Is there any more magnificent sight in sport then one umpire flagging a point while the other crosses his arms?