Tyrone v Derry - Sunday 12th May - Omagh 4.00pm

Started by tyroneman, April 29, 2019, 01:00:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barelegs

Quote from: omagh_gael on May 12, 2019, 06:11:33 PM
Any word on why Kennedy was taken off and Colm was put on? Is it a coincidence that that's when Derry started getting back into the game? Colm off after we concede the goal and we win the remainder of the game 1-5 to 0-01.

Good to get the win, was not expecting to blow them away but good sign that we put down the pedal for the last 10 minutes. Derry will cause a lot of problems for all teams outside of the top 3 or 4 I believe. Could get a decent run if the draw is kind to them in qualifiers.

Kennedy had been carrying a hamstring injury into the game. Made a couple of runs into the Derry defence when he was on! Hopefully we can shake that off over the next week or two. Has serious potential for a lad just turned 21

southtyronegael

Quote from: Goals_Will_Come on May 12, 2019, 07:41:07 PM
Tiernan McCann and Colm Cavanagh badly off the pace today.
Peter harte even worse

clarshack

Quote from: southtyronegael on May 12, 2019, 08:36:01 PM
Peter harte even worse

Peter Harte was a passenger for most parts today. Mattie Donnelly after a bright enough start became pretty much anonymous too. Ronan NcNamee poor as well. Could go on about others probably. Very disappointing display overall from Tyrone. Simply not good enough.

Over the Bar

Quote from: clarshack on May 12, 2019, 09:27:13 PM
Peter harte even worse

Peter Harte was a passenger for most parts today. Mattie Donnelly after a bright enough start became pretty much anonymous too. Ronan NcNamee poor as well. Could go on about others probably. Very disappointing display overall from Tyrone. Simply not good enough.

Relax. It's only May. Preliminary round are about getting over without maximum effort. 

Jayop

Exactly. People need to chill out. Blasting through Derry by a cricket score would have helped no one.

As for Peter Harte he was man marked the whole game by an excellent player. Derry's spell in d4 has done them nó harm at all and hopefully they can keep getting their shit together. Ulster football will be much better overall if Derry and Armagh get back to being strong. More teams to love to hate.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: clarshack on May 12, 2019, 09:27:13 PM
Peter harte even worse

Harsh on McNamee who didn't do much wrong. The Irish News gave him an 8 in the paper today. Harte and Sludden disappear in too many games and really need to find a way to get involved when closely marked. Sludden has been consistently fairly quiet for a long time now. You want the player playing at 11 getting lots of ball and dictating the game, he certainly hasn't did that over the last year or two. He's probably too small to play at half back where his game might be better suited.

But as others have said I wouldn't be getting too carried away based on a preliminary round match in early May. First game together in 7 or 8 weeks with the focus being on peaking another couple of months down the line. Most pleasing aspect of the game was the continued form of McShane, a real handful at full forward. A few Tyrone fans on here were very quick to write him off when he was still young trying to make the break through.

haranguerer

Tyrone did everything they needed to do. I'd be delighted with how that game went if I was from Tyrone, they played within themselves but upped it when they had to.

tyroneman

Quote from: haranguerer on May 13, 2019, 08:43:37 AM
Tyrone did everything they needed to do. I'd be delighted with how that game went if I was from Tyrone, they played within themselves but upped it when they had to.

100%.

Won the game without some of our biggest players doing well on the day.

Got put under some decent pressure and were asked to respond; which they did - finding another gear when it mattered.

McCurry and McShane, two players who have got their fair share of stick stood up to be counted

All in all a good game to come through - winning by 10+ points would have meant nothing

A good day out.

Fuzzman

Yeah I'd agree. Both teams will probably be happy enough.
Derry a Div 3 time who should probably be a Div 2 team if they got their house in gear played well after a slow start and did as we expected in that they "hung in" there and were still in the game with 15 mins left.
I said to the lads beside me this is the sort of game where you're 3 or 4 in front and think you're doing just OK and then suddenly they get a goal and their tails are up. Sure enough that happened but it was the making of Tyrone then as they "upped a gear" and answered the question being asked.

Yes I'm glad McShane is answering those doubters (I had one standing next to me) and scored 6 or 7 points I think. He is good under the high ball and even showed composure know when to punch it over and did he score one with his left foot too.
Cassidy and Richie scored a few nice points as well but I've been saying Sludden has been off the pace for some time now and with the fierce competition for places, if I was a sub I'd be asking why is he getting more of a chance than me.

I was delighted to see McCurry not just happy to tap over a point but to take his man on and go for goal. I think we've been lacking that for a good while now and far too often we take the easy tap over point. If we have ideas about beating Kerry, Mayo and Dublin later in the year, we need forwards who can do that more and more.

Wasn't too impressed with the ref if I'm honest. Thought he got a lot of calls wrong including pulling Derry for a "off the ground" when it was at least 2 inches off the ground.

rrhf

Think the likes of sludden, cavanagh,Mc Cann and to a lesser extent harte will spend more time
Adopting to the higher levels of longer ball etc and faster movement of the ball. All are more than capable of playing big roles although the gameplan is less dependent perhaps on them. That is a good thing as those 4 and Matty were key targets of the likes of the dubs and Tyrone were shut down when they were.

clarshack

Quote from: tyroneman on May 13, 2019, 09:25:30 AM
Quote from: haranguerer on May 13, 2019, 08:43:37 AM

100%.

Won the game without some of our biggest players doing well on the day.

Got put under some decent pressure and were asked to respond; which they did - finding another gear when it mattered.

McCurry and McShane, two players who have got their fair share of stick stood up to be counted

All in all a good game to come through - winning by 10+ points would have meant nothing

A good day out.

when you live near the Tyrone/Derry border winning by 10+ points means everything lol

greatpoint

Tyrone struggling against a division 4 Derry wasn't what I was expecting to see after all the discussion of their rebirth as an all out attacking superpower.

trailer

As a nice anecdote I was located with a few Tyrone ones but ringed by a good few Derry 'wans'. All fairly cordial, bit of good-natured back n' forth, nicey nicey.
Bang! The Derry goal went in. The mask slips. Jesus didn't the hatred re-emerge from the depths. Sickening the way they went on for all of 5 mins.
Bang! Tyrone goal. Order restored. Over zealous and fairly robust celebrations. Enjoyed it to be honest. A wee reminded of what it was like years ago when Derry were alright.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: greatpoint on May 13, 2019, 03:32:18 PM
Tyrone struggling against a division 4 Derry wasn't what I was expecting to see after all the discussion of their rebirth as an all out attacking superpower.

That's right, we're feck all to be worried about. :)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

TheOptimist

Quote from: trailer on May 13, 2019, 04:58:58 PM
As a nice anecdote I was located with a few Tyrone ones but ringed by a good few Derry 'wans'. All fairly cordial, bit of good-natured back n' forth, nicey nicey.
Bang! The Derry goal went in. The mask slips. Jesus didn't the hatred re-emerge from the depths. Sickening the way they went on for all of 5 mins.
Bang! Tyrone goal. Order restored. Over zealous and fairly robust celebrations. Enjoyed it to be honest. A wee reminded of what it was like years ago when Derry were alright.

A wee reminder of what you were saying yesterday there below. You clearly know your stuff. Ive been working in Tyrone for 6 years and keep hearing yous are the team to challenge Dublin and still waiting

Quote from: BennyCake on May 12, 2019, 12:16:58 PM
I fear a tanking for Derry

Tyrone 2-20
Derry 0-12

Generous. Doubtful Derry will hit double figures.