Refugees

Started by Mayo4Sam14, September 03, 2015, 04:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guy crouchback

one of the issues for young men is that if they stay they are often forcibly conscripted by which ever side are in control in their area whether it is Assad , IS, or one of the rebel groups. their parents will pay the people smugglers to get them out of the country before they end up a solider.

AZOffaly

Quote from: guy crouchback on September 10, 2015, 01:48:31 PM
one of the issues for young men is that if they stay they are often forcibly conscripted by which ever side are in control in their area whether it is Assad , IS, or one of the rebel groups. their parents will pay the people smugglers to get them out of the country before they end up a solider.

And the parents, or wives and kids, stay behind?

nrico2006

Are they still refugees if they don't settle in the first safe country they get to? 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

guy crouchback

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 10, 2015, 01:50:08 PM
Quote from: guy crouchback on September 10, 2015, 01:48:31 PM

And the parents, or wives and kids, stay behind?

i suppose.
if you were living in belfast during the troubles and the bombs and bullets were flying life would be pretty stressful. if one night you got word that the IRA/UVF were lining your son up for membership followed by a bit of active service i'm sure you would want him out of there ASAP.

there are going to be more young men because out from the above reason they have noting to lose by going. they can rough it easier then a family they can move quicker and endure more, this does not make them less of a refugee or make them less deserving of our help.

AZOffaly

It doesn't, but I'd certainly prioritise familys with kids, or kids on their own, over young healthy looking lads.

guy crouchback

absolutely and they should be treated in different ways on arrival, I'm a massive opponent of the present direct provision system and would if possible try and keep families out of it but for single men it is fine especially if its only for a relatively short period of time ( months not years)
the Syrian man who i mentioned earlier spent 5 months in direct provision and had no complaints and why should he, he was safe and was being processed in a timely manner and now he is out of it with his family, he is studying for a masters degree in maths he came with no english and now speaks well, his kids are in school and are thriving. he and his family are an addition to our society.
there is no reason that  the vast majority of these people can't come here and add to our society even the young men.

AZOffaly

I agree. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't turn away any deserving case, but I'd prioritise the most vulnerable of them. And don't just take them in and make ghettos, I think that would be a mistake, place a few families at a time in areas all over the country and let them be integrated.

finbar o tool

Quote from: muppet on September 10, 2015, 01:13:03 PM
Quote from: finbar o tool on September 10, 2015, 01:03:02 PM
Quote from: muppet on September 10, 2015, 12:32:35 PM
Quote from: finbar o tool on September 10, 2015, 11:49:49 AM
we've enough shit to be dealing with here and we should be looking after our own before helping god knows who.

Our function throughout history is either to:

a) bicker viciously and pointlessly amongst ourselves;

or

b) be fooled or bullied into transferring any wealth generated here to foreigners;

I'd rather take in loads of refugees. The might teach us something.

what?!

also, its perfect for ISIS to pretend to be refugees. they aren't going to mingle with the crowd with machetes or bombs strapped to their chests!! they just have to get into countries and start from there. they are certainly evil enough.
but look, im not saying ISIS are invading Europe here but it is a possibility, and not only that but its the simple fact that we dont know who these people are or what their past is.
we have special needs children here in this country who cant get the help they need, cant get a feckin medical card! old people lying in the hallways of hospitals. ordinary families made homeless by greedy banks and landlords. etc etc etc.
am i worried about some folk from Syria having a hard time, no im not, f**k that.

Good man.

ISIS is coming to get you.

Can you give us any evidence at all that ISIS wants to invade us in Ireland, or has attempted to do anything remotely connected to invading us?

the fact that they stated themselves they would send thousands of soldiers throughout Europe disguised as migrants/refugees back in February is enough for me. everyone knows they're crazy enough! like i said, it certainly is a possibility!

for me it all goes back to the carry on that's happening in this country at the moment and how we are being treated. that shit needs to be sorted before we go helping other countries.
as to what can be done? i don't know, i don't care either. i have a friend with a son who has special needs and he cant get the help he needs due to this godforsaken government, id like to see things like that looked at before we have 4000 other mouths to feed and cloth etc, and how long will that go on?!
there's a video starting to go viral on social media at the moment of migrants causing havoc in a town in Greece, look it up.
i wouldn't trust the EU or the UN to organize a piss up in a brewery. this is not going to end well.
i also seen the lovely gesture that 'dixie' is doing filling his sprinter van and heading to Germany. that's great. but. why don't people try do something similar for our own people. drive up to Dublin and hand out food and blankets to our own homeless people?
An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy

finbar o tool

and look at this shit now from Merkel.... more bullying

"Germany's leader, Angela Merkel, is warning other European Union countries there will be "consequences" if they refuse to sign up to quotas for refugees."
An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy

AZOffaly

Quote from: finbar o tool on September 10, 2015, 02:47:41 PM
and look at this shit now from Merkel.... more bullying

"Germany's leader, Angela Merkel, is warning other European Union countries there will be "consequences" if they refuse to sign up to quotas for refugees."

I do have a hard time listening to Germany, of all places, pontificating about refugees and looking after people.

general_lee

Quote from: finbar o tool on September 10, 2015, 02:41:18 PM
Quote from: muppet on September 10, 2015, 01:13:03 PM
Quote from: finbar o tool on September 10, 2015, 01:03:02 PM
Quote from: muppet on September 10, 2015, 12:32:35 PM
Quote from: finbar o tool on September 10, 2015, 11:49:49 AM
we've enough shit to be dealing with here and we should be looking after our own before helping god knows who.

Our function throughout history is either to:

a) bicker viciously and pointlessly amongst ourselves;

or

b) be fooled or bullied into transferring any wealth generated here to foreigners;

I'd rather take in loads of refugees. The might teach us something.

what?!

also, its perfect for ISIS to pretend to be refugees. they aren't going to mingle with the crowd with machetes or bombs strapped to their chests!! they just have to get into countries and start from there. they are certainly evil enough.
but look, im not saying ISIS are invading Europe here but it is a possibility, and not only that but its the simple fact that we dont know who these people are or what their past is.
we have special needs children here in this country who cant get the help they need, cant get a feckin medical card! old people lying in the hallways of hospitals. ordinary families made homeless by greedy banks and landlords. etc etc etc.
am i worried about some folk from Syria having a hard time, no im not, f**k that.

Good man.

ISIS is coming to get you.

Can you give us any evidence at all that ISIS wants to invade us in Ireland, or has attempted to do anything remotely connected to invading us?

the fact that they stated themselves they would send thousands of soldiers throughout Europe disguised as migrants/refugees back in February is enough for me. everyone knows they're crazy enough! like i said, it certainly is a possibility!

for me it all goes back to the carry on that's happening in this country at the moment and how we are being treated. that shit needs to be sorted before we go helping other countries.
as to what can be done? i don't know, i don't care either. i have a friend with a son who has special needs and he cant get the help he needs due to this godforsaken government, id like to see things like that looked at before we have 4000 other mouths to feed and cloth etc, and how long will that go on?!
there's a video starting to go viral on social media at the moment of migrants causing havoc in a town in Greece, look it up.
i wouldn't trust the EU or the UN to organize a piss up in a brewery. this is not going to end well.
i also seen the lovely gesture that 'dixie' is doing filling his sprinter van and heading to Germany. that's great. but. why don't people try do something similar for our own people. drive up to Dublin and hand out food and blankets to our own homeless people?
4,000 is a drop in the ocean compared to the hundreds of thousands who have left these shores in the last number of years in search of work thanks to the government. It's an even tinier drop in the ocean compared to what other countries are taking in in terms of numbers.

You're argument is ridiculous, unless you want the country to pull out of the EU? Until that ever happens, and I for one hope it doesn't, certain responsibilities need to be met both obligatory and moral. Yes there's a homeless problem here too and again we have the government and greedy landlords to thank for that. And it's a relatively easy one to solve but again due to the people who have been voted in, who's interests do not lie with helping the poor and vulnerable, little will be done until (hopefully) after elections.

foxcommander

Solution: Temporary visas for refugees until the situation calms down then they should return to their homeplace.

It's very gracious of Fitzgerald and Kenny to accept 5000 new dependents who will be totally reliant on the taxpayer. What's the cost per person that we're taking in? I'll guess that they'll get medical cards, free housing, cars and the health boards will give them allowances to fill their shopping trolleys like all the bogus asylum seekers have done before.
Yet people who have paid tax all their lives get screwed over.

It's not right.

Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

AZOffaly

Quote from: foxcommander on September 10, 2015, 03:18:34 PM
Solution: Temporary visas for refugees until the situation calms down then they should return to their homeplace.

It's very gracious of Fitzgerald and Kenny to accept 5000 new dependents who will be totally reliant on the taxpayer. What's the cost per person that we're taking in? I'll guess that they'll get medical cards, free housing, cars and the health boards will give them allowances to fill their shopping trolleys like all the bogus asylum seekers have done before.
Yet people who have paid tax all their lives get screwed over.

It's not right.

€6,000 per person apparently. €12,000 with €6,000 being contributed by EU. These refugees will *not* go through direct provision, and as such will be entitled to work. I would say the vast majority of these people will be delighted to work.

Esmarelda

Finbar, on the assumption that you're not a WUM, you've made the point twice that you don't care what happens these refugees, so why bother with any more of your points?

You talk about your friend's kid with special needs being a priority; every government in the world, no matter how affluent, would like to be a little bit moreso.

I'd prefer to be taxed at 19% rather than 20% but if it was 19% I'd prefer it to be 18%. It's hardly a reason to reject a large group of people fleeing for their lives.

The Tánaiste has said that the Irish programme will focus on mainly women and children.

It's a rare moment that I feel pride in our government.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Esmarelda on September 10, 2015, 03:22:17 PM
Finbar, on the assumption that you're not a WUM, you've made the point twice that you don't care what happens these refugees, so why bother with any more of your points?

You talk about your friend's kid with special needs being a priority; every government in the world, no matter how affluent, would like to be a little bit moreso.

I'd prefer to be taxed at 19% rather than 20% but if it was 19% I'd prefer it to be 18%. It's hardly a reason to reject a large group of people fleeing for their lives.

The Tánaiste has said that the Irish programme will focus on mainly women and children.

It's a rare moment that I feel pride in our government.

If this is the case, then I am delighted. Maybe we'll get a few more hurlers and footballers out of them as well :)