All Ireland club football championships 2023/24

Started by Blowitupref, January 06, 2023, 09:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blanketattack

Quote from: clarshack on January 17, 2023, 10:17:03 AM
and of course nothing will be made of the Fossa players going around calling all our players 'Prods', Brit's and the usual anti-North rhetoric.

That's the first in my excuse bingo card for when Northern Gaelic Football players commit acts of thuggery:

- He's from a good honest family
- The treatment he's getting in the media/social media is unfair
- it's not in his nature
- He's a great clubman and helps out coaching the kids
- The opposition were calling him names
- Leave him alone, this is affecting his mental health
- What about [insert a much more minor incident or incident from years ago]

clarshack

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 17, 2023, 12:32:02 PM
Quote from: clarshack on January 17, 2023, 11:26:56 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on January 17, 2023, 11:00:25 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on January 16, 2023, 11:25:28 PM
At the start of the melee, What's the Stewartstown No. 2 trying to do to D Clifford on the ground, grabbing by the balls or sthing, then holds his face pretending to have Been hit, this the same lad mouthing to him after been send off. What a dick.! Doubt that one be doing the rounds in the coming days.

I doubt whether the 2 Cliffords will get the same level of treatment in any other game this year, it definitely wouldn't be as bad as that at county level. One had his balls squeezed and one got bust open with an elbow that could have easily broken his jaw. If Stewartstown had fallen behind earlier in the match I think it could have got out of control as they had a few subs running around like madmen looking for a bit of action.   

Nonsense, the referee started to lose control by not issuing a red card to the Fossa midfielder and then the player winks afterwards, nothing to do with Stewartstown falling behind.

It was borderline red, how many red cards would there be in a game if cloth line type tackles were red carded?

It get's worse each time I look at it. He was lucky he wasn't decapitated.

Armagh18

Quote from: clarshack on January 17, 2023, 12:59:30 PM
At the start of the melee, What's the Stewartstown No. 2 trying to do to D Clifford on the ground, grabbing by the balls or sthing, then holds his face pretending to have Been hit, this the same lad mouthing to him after been send off. What a dick.! Doubt that one be doing the rounds in the coming days.

I doubt whether the 2 Cliffords will get the same level of treatment in any other game this year, it definitely wouldn't be as bad as that at county level. One had his balls squeezed and one got bust open with an elbow that could have easily broken his jaw. If Stewartstown had fallen behind earlier in the match I think it could have got out of control as they had a few subs running around like madmen looking for a bit of action.   

Nonsense, the referee started to lose control by not issuing a red card to the Fossa midfielder and then the player winks afterwards, nothing to do with Stewartstown falling behind.

It was borderline red, how many red cards would there be in a game if cloth line type tackles were red carded?

🤣🤣

Eire90

so sectarianism by fossa players ohhh and i bet they describe themselves true gaels

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Armagh18 on January 17, 2023, 01:02:42 PM

🤣🤣

It seemed to wake him up as he was Stewartstown's best player after that
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trueblue1234

Quote from: Walter Cronc on January 17, 2023, 12:19:47 PM
and of course nothing will be made of the Fossa players going around calling all our players 'Prods', Brit's and the usual anti-North rhetoric.

There's a definite trend with these alleged verbals and Tyrone teams. Don't recall it happening any Derry club sides.

You've lived a sheltered life if you've never heard these type of verbals at a game.
That said, I'd be of the opinion it's minor. Don't think it would impact too many player's performance. I'd laugh at it myself.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Walter Cronc

Quote from: trueblue1234 on January 17, 2023, 02:23:44 PM

There's a definite trend with these alleged verbals and Tyrone teams. Don't recall it happening any Derry club sides.

You've lived a sheltered life if you've never heard these type of verbals at a game.
That said, I'd be of the opinion it's minor. Don't think it would impact too many player's performance. I'd laugh at it myself.

Haha I wouldn't say I'm sheltered, but there's a trend. Stewartstown, Cookstown, Derytresk. East Tyrone mind you. Hallions  8)

Brendan

Reports of it from Banaghers hurling semi final last year, against a Kerry club, and experienced it myself from Donegal fans at the ulster final

Armagh18

Quote from: Brendan on January 17, 2023, 03:43:12 PM

Reports of it from Banaghers hurling semi final last year, against a Kerry club, and experienced it myself from Donegal fans at the ulster final
Bad enough getting it from Kerry men you could excuse their ignorance down there, but men from border counties saying that shite is low.

Eire90

LeoMc

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 17, 2023, 01:38:56 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on January 17, 2023, 01:02:42 PM

🤣🤣

It seemed to wake him up as he was Stewartstown's best player after that
I thought he (Tiernan Rush) had a good hour. Lucky they didn't call him a Brit or that might have destroyed him completely.

Milltown Row2

He was good in fairness a busy player, to his credit he got up and got on with it..
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

twohands!!!

QuoteTactical fouling pushes modern Gaelic football to the limits

The black card was an attempt to grasp cynical play problem by the stem but it was never going to take out the root as well.

FRI, 20 JAN, 2023 - 07:18
MAURICE BROSNAN

A robust nod confirmed Robbie Brennan already knew the stat that was being levelled at him. Kerins O'Rahillys 8, Kilmacud Crokes 30. The free count from their All-Ireland semi-final victory. Damning evidence, what's the plea?

"I'll do the old Premier League thing and I won't say anything because I'll get in trouble," Brennan replied. "I'll let people judge that one for themselves. It's a crazy stat." Like any good cross examination, Micheál Ó Domhnaill's follow-up attempted to delve deeper. You think the ref was hard on you then?

"Yeah. Madness some of the decisions but anyway, that is for another day. He will have to look at that himself."

Brennan was never likely to say much different. When quizzed about such a one-sided figure, the default setting is to muster some sort of a defence. For all of that the Dublin kingpins can have few complaints. Walking such a fine line invariably leads to straying the wrong side.

In Gaelic football, champions have always carried with them elements of cynicism. It is accepted as part of what it takes. Push the rules, break them if needs be. This particular case is in line with the latest evolution of strategic fouling, where the existing rules have been outstripped by coaches' response.

First, the raw numbers. Of 30 fouls, 11 came after conceding a turnover or losing their own kick-out. 10 came on Kerins O'Rahillys kick-out. Seven came during their own attack and two were after they lost the throw-in.

Clearly, Kilmacud identified David Moran as a crucial player. From kick-outs he provides a significant platform to attack. If you can't stop him in the air, slow him on the ground. Moran was fouled six times during the game. Another target, wing forward Gavin O'Brien, accounted for another five. By slowing down that transition, Kilmacud provide themselves with an opportunity to reset. Therein lies the key.

Before he was told about the free count stat, Robbie Brennan was first asked for his assessment of their performance.

"I suppose the first thing delighted to get back to a final. Coming out of here in February we were obviously very low. It is special to get back there." What happened in February? Everyone saw how the Kilmacud Crokes coach was left magnanimously congratulating Kilcoo's Mickey Moran after suffering late heartbreak. But for the coach, what really happened in February?

Two points up, goalkeeper Conor Ferris had the ball and under pressure elected to boot it up field. Kilcoo attack with Shealin Johnston sprinting forward. Andrew McGowan was able to get a hand on but he didn't foul. In actuality, he held both hands up to exaggerate that fact. A clean attempt, no free will be found here. Admirable? Undeniably. Astute? It depends on who's asking. Kilcoo carried on and score the decisive goal.

The black card was a welcomed effort to reach down and grasp the cynical play problem by the stem. At the same time, it was never going to take out the root as well. The majority of scores come from turnovers because that is when play is most unstructured. Therefore, a stoppage and a chance to establish a defensive structure remain valuable. All that changed was that the price went up.

So it became more sophisticated. Now overly forceful tackling, leaving hands in, pulling jerseys back but not down offer the opportunity to break up play. Consider the fourth minute in the semi-final. Craig Dias' shot dropped short and Kerin O'Rahillys look to respond. A long kick pass found Barry John Keane who immediately is wrapped up for a free.

There are two more frees during the attack. Dias for two hands on Pádraig Neenan. Later a push in the back on Jack Savage outside the 45. He took the free off the ground and dropped it short.

In the entire game, Dias fouled a remarkable seven times. It was only after six different infringements and a high tackle in the second half that he was shown a yellow card.

Detractors bemoan what it does to the spectacle. Look for a solution and the shrieks taper off. The tally is well spread out. Of 14 outfield players, just two Kilmacud starters did not concede a free. Referee Niall Cullen did his best to keep the game flowing despite the stoppages. Only two players, Dias and O'Brien, were shown a yellow card for a tackle. The other three were all for off the ball incidents.

Aidan Jones' foul on Jack Savage before half-time was a borderline yellow, the fact he had already conceded a free before that perhaps enough to seal it. Who is going to monitor that? Already referees have too much on their plate. In basketball, a player who conceded six personal fouls is fouled out. Are supporters willing to accept that as a cost?

While the repeated interruptions might provoke irritation, imagine the uproar if a player was sent off for repeated fouling in an All-Ireland decider. No referee wants that rod and the association shows no desire to take on such a war.

A stalemate it is then. That is not say tactical fouling is 100% efficient. Kerry's only goal in the 2022 championship came after a turnover and the referee playing advantage. Kilmacud Crokes conceded just three goals in the Dublin championship and none since. All three came after turnovers. Against Templeogue Synge Street, an inaccurate sideline was intercepted and in the back of the net seven seconds later. No time for an arm pull there.

In the quarter-final against Cuala, there was a turnover and then a foul. However, they lost possession during a Paul Mannion tackle and Cuala's attack restarted quickly after the free. Amidst all of that, it finished in a green flag.

Against Thomas Davis, it was an intercepted free-kick that led to a goal eight seconds later.

This conundrum has been at the heart of Gaelic football coaching for a decade. There is wide recognition of what we all want to see and a general understanding of what it takes to win. Egregious transgressions are not tolerated but the boundary will continually be pushed as long as the penalty is relatively low.

Put it this way. There is no doubt what Andrew McGowan would do if Kilmacud Crokes were afforded a do-over on that 2022 final attack and put in the same spot again. The question is if it was your team, what would you want him to do?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-41052782.html

blanketattack

Armagh18