All Ireland club football championships 2023/24

Started by Blowitupref, January 06, 2023, 09:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Quote from: HiMucker on January 08, 2023, 05:00:23 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on January 08, 2023, 04:55:51 PM
Gough, f**k me. I don't know whether he generates momentum or just plays along with it, but when things are going against you, he does seem to be continually on hand to pile it on.

Better team won. Moycullen looked dangerous once they had to go for it. Awful shame they didn't play the first half like that too.
This. He must think its his duty to keep the game entertaining. The one that Glen broke out of defence at the end and the player was fouled. There is no excuse, you cant miss that, its a free in anyone's book. Like what does he think has happened? I can only imagine in his head it's like "ah well you shouldnt have been so loose so if you are fouled take your oil", that's just really really poor and it's what you'd expect from poor referees.

Was thinking the exact same. The player could have grabbed the ball but tried the flashier move and was clearly fouled, most obvious free you'll see. Something similar happened around 50 minutes on the left side of the Glen defence when one of their players intercepted the ball brilliantly and put his body on the line to win the ball, he was fouled after making the interception but before he got the ball.  However, it wasn't given and the Glen player actually got hurt in the incident.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Tyrdub

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on January 08, 2023, 04:53:39 PM
Ref awful, plus Glen themselves done their best to thrown away that game.

What was the Glen Maor Foirne sent off for?

oakleaflad

Quote from: Tyrdub on January 09, 2023, 08:32:56 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on January 08, 2023, 04:53:39 PM
Ref awful, plus Glen themselves done their best to thrown away that game.

What was the Glen Maor Foirne sent off for?
Abusive language. Was in the aftermath of a dodgy decision if memory serves me right.

smort

Mad finish to any game, never mind an allireland final

Both keepers will be under pressure next week, could be fun

yellowcard

I don't see very much between these sides. Both play a similar style of football based on a hard running physical style of football and they are both very solid defensively. I think Glen have an advantage in the middle third of the pitch where they are very strong and athletic. Their achilles heel is the lack of genuine scoring forwards at this level. They don't really have a marquee forward but are reliant on a spread of scores from throughout the team. Very similar to Mayo in style I would say, full of hard runners and will rely on the defence/midfield to kick 4 or 5 scores from play per game. Both goalkeepers are dodgy under pressure so I'd expect them to both be targeted when in possession. Mannion must not be fit otherwise they would have used him for 15 minutes at the end of yesterdays game so that is a bonus for Glen. Really could go either way, possibly Kilmacud have a bit more experience but hopefully Glen can pull it off.   

imtommygunn

Kilmacaud have more scoring forwards. I imagine that there is probably a chance mannion could play some part too.

I think glen have a better manager and may set up better but I am not convinced there's enough scores in them when the likes of Walsh is at the other end. Hope I am wrong.

Dias in midfield is a great player for kilmacaud. Glen still are probably stronger there but kilmacaud no slouches there either.

grounded

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 09, 2023, 09:34:01 PM
Kilmacaud have more scoring forwards. I imagine that there is probably a chance mannion could play some part too.

I think glen have a better manager and may set up better but I am not convinced there's enough scores in them when the likes of Walsh is at the other end. Hope I am wrong.

Dias in midfield is a great player for kilmacaud. Glen still are probably stronger there but kilmacaud no slouches there either.

Yes Dias is a super player. I could never understand why he was substituted against Kilcoo last year. Foolish move.
     I worry about Glen in the final. Kilmacud have scoring threats all over the pitch and a much better bench. The only thing that I can see beating Kilmacud is a management brain fart as happened last year.
     Glen need Glass pushing up and getting/setting up scores to have any chance. They're playing him as a defensive midfielder anchor and that needs to change. It's just a pity McFaul is out. His presence last year allowed Glass  much more leeway going forward. Really noticeable this year.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: grounded on January 09, 2023, 10:39:08 PM

Yes Dias is a super player. I could never understand why he was substituted against Kilcoo last year. Foolish move.
     I worry about Glen in the final. Kilmacud have scoring threats all over the pitch and a much better bench. The only thing that I can see beating Kilmacud is a management brain fart as happened last year.
     Glen need Glass pushing up and getting/setting up scores to have any chance. They're playing him as a defensive midfielder anchor and that needs to change. It's just a pity McFaul is out. His presence last year allowed Glass  much more leeway going forward. Really noticeable this year.

I'd say getting to win Ulster and reaching a club final without McFaul has done them no harm, would he be the missing link on the day? who knows, he's made his bed and the team have moved on for the better it seems
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

oakleaflad

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 10, 2023, 10:08:27 AM

I'd say getting to win Ulster and reaching a club final without McFaul has done them no harm, would he be the missing link on the day? who knows, he's made his bed and the team have moved on for the better it seems
He's very much still viewed as part of the panel in Glen. They mentioned it in their Ulster winning speech and he's even one of the players sponsored for their trip to Croke Park.

Will it ever end

Conor Glass for his part with Derry & Glen always starts deep & i'm open to correction but has scored in each round of the championship to date?

general_lee

Quote from: oakleaflad on January 10, 2023, 10:16:50 AM

He's very much still viewed as part of the panel in Glen. They mentioned it in their Ulster winning speech and he's even one of the players sponsored for their trip to Croke Park.
Is he still stateside for the foreseeable?
As for Glen's chances in the final, I wouldn't rule them out completely though they are up against it. They cracked Derry after the second time of asking, they cracked Ulster at the second attempt so it will be a huge ask to win the AI final first time round. They have a few things in their favour, O'Rourke on the sideline and I'd imagine Dunloy will lend them some support. Get the matchups right and keep Walsh as quiet as possible and you never know

seafoid

Quote from: general_lee on January 10, 2023, 12:14:23 PM
Quote from: oakleaflad on January 10, 2023, 10:16:50 AM

Is he still stateside for the foreseeable?
As for Glen's chances in the final, I wouldn't rule them out completely though they are up against it. They cracked Derry after the second time of asking, they cracked Ulster at the second attempt so it will be a huge ask to win the AI final first time round. They have a few things in their favour, O'Rourke on the sideline and I'd imagine Dunloy will lend them some support. Get the matchups right and keep Walsh as quiet as possible and you never know
I don't believe he has any say over it.

general_lee

Well, obviously. I haven't heard any updates on that front.