What is a good season for the Mayo senior football team?

Started by Nihilist, February 16, 2015, 04:20:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nihilist

New Management, somewhat new backroom, same team that got to 2 successive finals and lost out narrowly last year in a semi.

What are the expectations this year from the fans for the team and management? Is it All Ireland or bust? Or would a Connacht title retention and getting to the semi-finals be adequate for ratifying the new managements capabilities?

Thoughts?

redzone

id have thought nothing more than a Connaught final win would do. An all Ireland is a step to far, for sure so maybe a national league either. They have been getting to semi finals thus last few years but that was under horan. Don't think that the new management are going to be fit to add that bit extra. The players just are not there/good enough. A real good manager can take you that bit extra. eg harte,mcguinness. A pity that they didn't go for Mcstay. When did they last win a league out of curiosity.

muppet

Quote from: redzone on February 16, 2015, 06:42:14 PM
id have thought nothing more than a Connaught final win would do. An all Ireland is a step to far, for sure so maybe a national league either. They have been getting to semi finals thus last few years but that was under horan. Don't think that the new management are going to be fit to add that bit extra. The players just are not there/good enough. A real good manager can take you that bit extra. eg harte,mcguinness. A pity that they didn't go for Mcstay. When did they last win a league out of curiosity.

2001 with Pat Holmes. Championship performances were poor though.

Losing in Connacht will be seen as a major failure.
Losing a 1/4 final would be seen as a failure, depending on the opposition and performance etc.
Losing a 1/2 final would be seen as a step back, against depending on performance & opposition etc.
Losing another final would be a killer all round, but would hardly be seen as a failure for the new management, with the above caveats.

MWWSI 2017

larryin89

To retain the Nestor cup for the fifth year in a row would satisfy me but I do think it will be a struggle.

I don't believe all is as rosy as we are led to believe , time will tell.

Supporters dreaming of a repeat of last three years effort are not being realistic imo. I do hope I'm wrong and am back on this thread next sept looking to swap a hogan for hill 16 so I can wave my flag in peace.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

macdanger2

Retaining D1 status, winning Connacht and reaching but not getting hammered by Dublin in a SF would be a reasonable year esp if one or two new starters / potential starters were added to the squad

moysider

Hard to quantify what would be a successful year or not.
We wouldn t want to go and get ourselves relegated but it s all about the championship imo.
If we manage to win in Salthill expectations and confidence would soar again and we d be very hard to stop in Connacht after. Lose in Galway and it would be sticky enough to survive until August.

moysider

Quote from: macdanger2 on February 16, 2015, 07:22:49 PM
Retaining D1 status, winning Connacht and reaching but not getting hammered by Dublin in a SF would be a reasonable year esp if one or two new starters / potential starters were added to the squ

If we were to get to a semi-final, I d be hopeful of pulling it off and so would you macdanger2 ;)
Tbh I think a lot depends on management. These guys wanted it and they simply have to deliver now. It remains to be seen of course if they are up to it.

macdanger2

Quote from: moysider on February 16, 2015, 08:38:16 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on February 16, 2015, 07:22:49 PM
Retaining D1 status, winning Connacht and reaching but not getting hammered by Dublin in a SF would be a reasonable year esp if one or two new starters / potential starters were added to the squ

If we were to get to a semi-final, I d be hopeful of pulling it off and so would you macdanger2 ;)
Tbh I think a lot depends on management. These guys wanted it and they simply have to deliver now. It remains to be seen of course if they are up to it.

I would surely but right now in early Feb, I'd be happy just to get there

moysider

A bit off-thread but Mayo played Clare yesterday in Kinvara.
From what I can glean from other fora this is the team that played.

O'Malley, D McHugh, G Cafferkey, T Cunniffe, S Duffy, C Crowe, D Drake, G Duffy, A Corduff, C O Shea, J Gibbons, N Douglas, E Varley, M Forde, D Coen. 2nd half  C Boyle, K Keane, A Dillon, D Kirby, M Sweeney.

Narrow win again another blanket team.

muppet

Quote from: moysider on February 16, 2015, 09:00:11 PM

A bit off-thread but Mayo played Clare yesterday in Kinvara.
From what I can glean from other fora this is the team that played.

O'Malley, D McHugh, G Cafferkey, T Cunniffe, S Duffy, C Crowe, D Drake, G Duffy, A Corduff, C O Shea, J Gibbons, N Douglas, E Varley, M Forde, D Coen. 2nd half  C Boyle, K Keane, A Dillon, D Kirby, M Sweeney.

Narrow win again another blanket team.

Kirby must be fit again. Might be of great use at FF.
MWWSI 2017

moysider

Still no sign of Andy or Tom Parsons. Good to see Cuniffe back. And of course Gavin Duffy finally makes his appearance - and look good from what I hear. Anybody speculate what 30 man panel will look like?!

moysider

According to Mayo News, Andy and Tom Parsons may be available for Monaghan. Chris Barrett will not. Apart from Chris that would leave us full strength. I  assume we ll have to go strongest side available but what would that be? Does Vaughan continue in midfield or does Tom or Gibbons come in?

Farrandeelin

Pleased the management are giving runs to everybody, less so with the fact that they apparently went around the house again when faced with Clare's blanket defence... Nothing against Clare, but we should have known every team will go blanket against us this year.

As for the title of the thread, a good season is sustaining competitiveness. That may not win many trophies, but it seems to me that a lot of people are resigned to having 4 tough seasons over the past 4 years taking a lot out of the players physically.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 17, 2015, 08:45:45 PM
Pleased the management are giving runs to everybody, less so with the fact that they apparently went around the house again when faced with Clare's blanket defence... Nothing against Clare, but we should have known every team will go blanket against us this year.

As for the title of the thread, a good season is sustaining competitiveness. That may not win many trophies, but it seems to me that a lot of people are resigned to having 4 tough seasons over the past 4 years taking a lot out of the players physically.

I dunno about those being tough seasons Farr. Surely they are the type of season a player would want. I d say a tough season is playing for likes of Offaly right now - a once great footballing county struggling badly.

It s also more likely these players will have the advantage of years of conditioning. Ye can t buy that or the experience either - although not all the experiences have been rosy. But let's not forget that these players have had more good days than bad and probably have a high degree of self esteem. I very much doubt they have the loser mentality that many journalists and neutral like to label them with. These guys expect to win the big games. I don t think that will change this year. Also, this group has been wisely managed and trained. They have loads of recovery and athletes of this calibre thrive on training provided they are injury free. We were unlucky with big injuries that cost us big time, but the injuries were treated very professionally. Compare the care taken with Cillian and AOS in Limerick with the appalling treatment of George North 2 weeks ago. You re spot on about the competitiveness. 
Management has a huge role to play in continuing to empower this group and giving them every chance to be as good as they can be/have been.

mayoman dan

Nightmare season = Beaten by Galway and go down without a fight in the qualifiers
Bad season           = Beaten by a team using a balnket and us having no gameplan to counter it
Good season         =Good performance in the All Ireland Semi Final even if its in defeat by Dublin
Dream season        = SAM