Super 8s

Started by theticklemister, February 19, 2017, 10:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Also, cut the price of the shagging tickets.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

seafoid

Quote from: Jinxy on July 23, 2018, 12:57:04 PM
If we were to have the exact same teams involved for next year (for the sake of argument), I would put the NEUTRAL round (fairly confident this change will happen) as round 2.
The first round should get the ball rolling and build interest as one side won't have to travel, however, there should be some reward for the provincial champions so I would suggest that they get home advantage in Round 1.
Obviously, they would start against a qualifier team, unlike the current system which had all the provincial champs facing off in the first round.
The fixtures for Round 2 would look something like the following:

Tyrone/Roscommon - Markievicz Park
Dublin/Donegal - Clones
Kerry/Galway - Gaelic Grounds
Monaghan/Kildare - Pairc Tailteann

I actually think there is an argument for including as many grounds as possible from counties who don't have a team in the Super 8s, as neutral options.
So maybe instead of having a neutral game in Clones, which will be hosting a home game for Monaghan anyway, stick the game in Breffni.
Reading reports from Omagh, it seems that the town got a nice boost from the Dubs visit.
It would be great to spread that effect around as much as possible, within reason.
I read on RTE that the Mayo match was worth €400k to Newbridge

Syferus

Quote from: seafoid on July 23, 2018, 03:37:49 PM
If we were to have the exact same teams involved for next year (for the sake of argument), I would put the NEUTRAL round (fairly confident this change will happen) as round 2.
The first round should get the ball rolling and build interest as one side won't have to travel, however, there should be some reward for the provincial champions so I would suggest that they get home advantage in Round 1.
Obviously, they would start against a qualifier team, unlike the current system which had all the provincial champs facing off in the first round.

Dublin/Donegal - Clones

I actually think there is an argument for including as many grounds as possible from counties who don't have a team in the Super 8s, as neutral options.
So maybe instead of having a neutral game in Clones, which will be hosting a home game for Monaghan anyway, stick the game in Breffni.
Reading reports from Omagh, it seems that the town got a nice boost from the Dubs visit.
It would be great to spread that effect around as much as possible, within reason.

I read on the news that the economy is in great shape.

Esmarelda

Quote from: Rossfan on July 23, 2018, 02:33:01 PM
I suppose the Provincial winners playing each other first and likewise the Qualifiers means like is playing like.
2nd round should be the 2 winners play each other and the 2 losers likewise. Toss for home venues.
Good thinking only there was giving out that the dates and venues weren't known for round 2 this year two weeks before throw-in.

Bord na Mona man

Dublin/Donegal - Clones

I'd love to know what metrics they use for these calculations.
They always come across as massively inflated and to push an agenda of some sort.

Hound

Quote from: Jinxy on July 23, 2018, 02:28:57 PM
Actually, if we are looking to make the Super 8s as competitive as possible, maybe the first round should be a home game for the teams that come through the qualifiers.
Not very fair on the provincial winners I suppose, but screw those guys.

I suppose the Provincial winners playing each other first and likewise the Qualifiers means like is playing like.
2nd round should be the 2 winners play each other and the 2 losers likewise. Toss for home venues.

Yep.

There was a lot of bleating about the Super 8 schedule being somehow unfair to provincial champions (although I don't think any of the provincial champions themselves complained, it was the great Irish trait of complaining on behalf of others!). And more stuff on "what's the point of winning the province" etc.

The easiest way to get to the Super 8 is by winning your province. So that's the benefit you get (along with your medal!). Straight in, no messing. Whereas the likes of Tyrone and Kildare are playing 4 and 5 matches on the trot. Changing the format to somehow give the provincial champions an added advantage when they get there would be a load of nonsense.

westbound

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on July 23, 2018, 03:43:25 PM

Dublin/Donegal - Clones

They always come across as massively inflated and to push an agenda of some sort.

€400K doesn't seem inflated to me.

Say 10,000 attendance (I know it was a bit less but 10K is easier to do the calculations!)
That's only €40 per person to be left in Newbridge. Between food/parking/accommodation/pubs/Diesel/petrol and the bit of shopping that might be done by a few of the fans (or spouses of fans who won't bother going into the game), €40 per person doesn't seem too inflated.
I'd guess the €400K includes money spent inside the ground as well?

westbound

Quote from: Hound on July 23, 2018, 03:56:19 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on July 23, 2018, 02:28:57 PM
Actually, if we are looking to make the Super 8s as competitive as possible, maybe the first round should be a home game for the teams that come through the qualifiers.
Not very fair on the provincial winners I suppose, but screw those guys.

Yep.

There was a lot of bleating about the Super 8 schedule being somehow unfair to provincial champions (although I don't think any of the provincial champions themselves complained, it was the great Irish trait of complaining on behalf of others!). And more stuff on "what's the point of winning the province" etc.

The easiest way to get to the Super 8 is by winning your province. So that's the benefit you get (along with your medal!). Straight in, no messing. Whereas the likes of Tyrone and Kildare are playing 4 and 5 matches on the trot. Changing the format to somehow give the provincial champions an added advantage when they get there would be a load of nonsense.

The other advantage the provincial champs have is that they get the final deciding game at home. Donegal at home V tyrone could be a big advantage and Kerry will have home advantage for their final must win game v kidare.

LeoMc

Dublin/Donegal - Clones

I would put the neutral venue matches at the end, If you want to give the Provincial champions a slight advantage let them get home advantage in the first games so they get off to a good start. Home advantage for the last match may or may not be of benefit.
Kerry and Donegal both have a slight advantage in playing their final match at home, however if Kerry had lost yesterday home advantage next week would have been of no benefit.

larryin89

Quote from: westbound on July 23, 2018, 03:59:05 PM

Dublin/Donegal - Clones

Say 10,000 attendance (I know it was a bit less but 10K is easier to do the calculations!)
That's only €40 per person to be left in Newbridge. Between food/parking/accommodation/pubs/Diesel/petrol and the bit of shopping that might be done by a few of the fans (or spouses of fans who won't bother going into the game), €40 per person doesn't seem too inflated.

Exactly and that is pretty modest estimate considering I spent ten Euro on water inside the ground, 60 euro food and pints in newbridge, left a few quid in Paddy power in the town too. The pubs were wedged before and after the game .

I don't think people put enough thought into how well small towns do for a decent crowd championship game . In saying that not every country is like our lot, we bring some crowds even for league games to the different towns and there's always a buzz around  when Mayo are in town ,like it or loathe it , that's the truth.

Hopefully people will see sense and put the Dublin v Roscommon game as a curtain raiser to our under 20 lads instead of other way around.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Jinxy

Quote from: LeoMc on July 23, 2018, 04:09:19 PM

Dublin/Donegal - Clones

I would put the neutral venue matches at the end, If you want to give the Provincial champions a slight advantage let them get home advantage in the first games so they get off to a good start. Home advantage for the last match may or may not be of benefit.
Kerry and Donegal both have a slight advantage in playing their final match at home, however if Kerry had lost yesterday home advantage next week would have been of no benefit.

You risk having dead rubbers in a neutral venue then.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Syferus

Quote from: larryin89 on July 23, 2018, 04:22:20 PM

Dublin/Donegal - Clones

Exactly and that is pretty modest estimate considering I spent ten Euro on water inside the ground, 60 euro food and pints in newbridge, left a few quid in Paddy power in the town too. The pubs were wedged before and after the game .

I don't think people put enough thought into how well small towns do for a decent crowd championship game . In saying that not every country is like our lot, we bring some crowds even for league games to the different towns and there's always a buzz around  when Mayo are in town ,like it or loathe it , that's the truth.

Hopefully people will see sense and put the Dublin v Roscommon game as a curtain raiser to our under 20 lads instead of other way around.

LOL

straightred

Quote from: Jinxy on July 23, 2018, 04:34:56 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on July 23, 2018, 04:09:19 PM

Dublin/Donegal - Clones

You risk having dead rubbers in a neutral venue then.

A dead rubber is a dead rubber. No matter what way they are ordered there is a risk of it happening. Even though its in Croke Park i'm finding it very hard to pluck up the enthusiasm to go to the Dublin Roscommon game even though I know I'll be charged for the tickets regardless (season ticket). I'm probably going to let it slide as I don't need the attendance and I'll see can I give the tickets to neighbours or something.

I like the way qualifiers play each other first as they are both coming off a series of weekly games and the provincial winners aren't. There's arguments to be made for all options - I happen to like the way it is with the only exception being that Dublin only play one game in Dublin (and I don't care were in Dublin that is)

Rossfan

It has to change from a Croke Park game to "Neutral ".
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Bord na Mona man

Dublin/Donegal - Clones

In a family of 4 or 5, I doubt they're going to spend €40 each.
Things like petrol/diesel assumes you fill up in Newbridge and not so many miles out the road.
I have a feeling the local hotels only saw a slight uptick in bookings as well.