Super 8s

Started by theticklemister, February 19, 2017, 10:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedHand88

Just confirmed this minute by the GAA. As expected, 5pm and 7pm for group2 on Saturday. 2 and 4 on Sunday for group 1.
Sky show first game, RTE show second on both days.

Hound

Quote from: RedHand88 on July 09, 2018, 01:31:57 PM
Just confirmed this minute by the GAA. As expected, 5pm and 7pm for group2 on Saturday. 2 and 4 on Sunday for group 1.
Sky show first game, RTE show second on both days.

6 live games this weekend. Kildare v Monaghan (Sky) and Kilkenny v Limerick (RTE) both on Sunday at 2pm

JoG2

Saturday 14 July

All-Ireland SFC quarter-final phase 1
Donegal v Dublin, Croke Park, 7pm - RTE
Tyrone v Roscommon, Croke Park, 5pm - Sky

Sunday 15 July

All-Ireland SFC quarter-final phase 1
Kerry v Galway, Croke Park, 4pm - RTE
Kildare v Monaghan, Croke Park, 2pm - Sky

WT4E

Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 08, 2018, 11:55:00 PM
Tyrone will probably need to win two games i can't see them beating Dublin and Ballybofey is one of the toughest places to pick up a victory

Interesting that so many people are putting alot of weight behind Donegals home record. I would discount the league as you just never know who have there best team out or experimenting at that time of the year.

When you look at their record over the last 10 years in championship They have played 14 losing 4 and winning 10. Of those 10 they have beaten:

Antrim x 2
Derry x 2
Fermanagh
08 Roscommon
Carlow
09 Clare
Cavan
Tyrone

Its a mixed bag of talent in there so not as if they have been beaten top teams all along. The day they beat Tyrone there there was a nasty atmosphere at the game from memory with Donegal really hyped up to beat Tyrone - I don't think that will be matched this time around. Tyrone have had the better of Donegal in the last seaon or two.

I am confident that Tyrone can turn them over when they meet.

Norf Tyrone

When will they announce dates and times for R2 and R3?
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Rossfan

Probably Monday 16th and Monday 30th?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on July 09, 2018, 04:48:48 PM

They really should be able to announce all these fixtures today.

shark

Quote from: Syferus on July 09, 2018, 04:52:42 PM

They should, it's a nonsense.

An Fhairche Abu

It would be absolutely right that all the fixtures/dates/times for the 3 rounds should be announced now, are they waiting to see how the matches go this weekend first so that TV can pick out what might be better match ups based on the 1st round results?
One thing to watch out for is the second round of games, are Galway and Kildare going to be put out on the following Saturday in Newbridge if TV scheduling dictates that, despite both having played on the previous Sunday?
If right was right then those playing this Saturday should be out the following Saturday again, with Group 1 games played on Sunday the 22nd to give 7 days to all teams but given how some fixtures have been made by the CCCC this summer who knows what will happen.

Hound

Quote from: shark on July 09, 2018, 04:53:37 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 09, 2018, 04:52:42 PM

They should, it's a nonsense.

Yep, makes you think.

I wonder might Tyrone, Kildare and/or Roscommon be incentivised to volunteer to move their home game to Clones, Portlaoise, Castlebar, so more fans can see it?

Can't remember what the second round games in Group 1 are. But for Kildare, in particular, it might make a lot of sense, as they'd fill Portlaoise and maybe have 70%+ of the crowd, whereas in Newbridge they'd only have 50%. Would Rossies share of the crowd would increase in Castlebar? Not much benefit for Tyrone as it'd probably still be 50/50 (not sure if Sean Cav's claim they play better in Clones than Omagh holds any water?)

Probably depend on results, but be interesting to hear thoughts of respective fans of the three teams to see if they'd have a strong feeling either way.

Jayop

I'd have better memories of Tyrone in Clones than in Omagh but I can't see Tyrone handing that home advantage away at all. I'd be a bit disappointed if any team did tbh because I think that the smaller venues getting these big games is one of the highlights of the Super 8.

J70

Big time. Omagh, Hyde Park and Ballybofey is where these games belong.

Hound

Quote from: Jayop on July 09, 2018, 05:13:37 PM
I'd have better memories of Tyrone in Clones than in Omagh but I can't see Tyrone handing that home advantage away at all. I'd be a bit disappointed if any team did tbh because I think that the smaller venues getting these big games is one of the highlights of the Super 8.
Yeah, agreed
Kildare is probably the only one worth a second thought.
If 20,000 Kildare people turn up on Sunday and then are told only 4,000 of you can come next week, it does cause at least a pause. But maybe best if it does stay in Newbridge

Rossfan

Hyde for us.
Anyway as the Qtr Finals are a 3 games series you won't have as big a travelling support as for knock out games.
I wouldn't see us v Donegal going much over 12k.
I too suspect not making the Phase 2 and 3 fixtures is to leave room for venue manoeuvres.
If results follow popular expectations Dublin will have qualified and we'll be gone by the time our trip to play them comes around.
20k in Croker with a Dublin B selection playing a disinterested Ros won't be much of a spectacle.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

J70

Quote from: WT4E on July 09, 2018, 03:11:33 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 08, 2018, 11:55:00 PM
Tyrone will probably need to win two games i can't see them beating Dublin and Ballybofey is one of the toughest places to pick up a victory

Interesting that so many people are putting alot of weight behind Donegals home record. I would discount the league as you just never know who have there best team out or experimenting at that time of the year.

When you look at their record over the last 10 years in championship They have played 14 losing 4 and winning 10. Of those 10 they have beaten:

Antrim x 2
Derry x 2
Fermanagh
08 Roscommon
Carlow
09 Clare
Cavan
Tyrone

Its a mixed bag of talent in there so not as if they have been beaten top teams all along. The day they beat Tyrone there there was a nasty atmosphere at the game from memory with Donegal really hyped up to beat Tyrone - I don't think that will be matched this time around. Tyrone have had the better of Donegal in the last seaon or two.

I am confident that Tyrone can turn them over when they meet.

Donegal haven't lost ANY game in Ballybofey since 2010. In the two years before that they lost there to Derry, Antrim and Monaghan in championship. Shows you the change McGuinness precipitated.

BTW Tyrone were beaten there in the championship in 2013 AND 2015. Not that I think that matters much this year. Tyrone did hammer us last year (2016 was a toss up), while we have lost our primary attacker going into the Super 8s.

But I still fancy a nice hostile welcome for the Tyronies, assuming there is anything to play for on our part.