Super 8s

Started by theticklemister, February 19, 2017, 10:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

Tyrone's form going into the Super 8 means nothing. It's all about being here. This is were the season starts. Sure we even didn't bother about the McKenna cup this year.
That was never a square ball!!

Syferus

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 08, 2018, 08:48:00 PM
Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on July 08, 2018, 08:43:46 PM
If that's all you were doing I'd have no issue with it. Now you are the victim. Well played.

So what's your particular problem, that I quoted Paddy Power odds? Or is there something less Padraic Pearsesque at play?

Tone it down a tad.

Hound

Roll on next week. All 8 teams arrive having put up a very good performance. The first week will be great and the second week will be even better, with all four provincial champions playing away from home. Let's hope there's plenty to play for come the third round.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Syferus on July 08, 2018, 09:25:04 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 08, 2018, 08:48:00 PM
Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on July 08, 2018, 08:43:46 PM
If that's all you were doing I'd have no issue with it. Now you are the victim. Well played.

So what's your particular problem, that I quoted Paddy Power odds? Or is there something less Padraic Pearsesque at play?

Tone it down a tad.

Thanks man, no better source of advice, truly :P ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Orchard park

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 08, 2018, 08:40:52 PM
It's funny, sort of, just to point out the (relative) strength of Ulster in the last 8, and how it unleashes all sorts of prejudices and preconceptions. Feck it!

The actual strength will be much clearer in e weeks time

Captain Obvious

Quote from: hardstation on July 08, 2018, 08:10:22 PM
Quote from: Orchard park on July 08, 2018, 08:08:30 PM
Sraith,

I asked how many Ulster counties in the last  4, not a myopic  Tyrone question....

But fair dues for not denying hisgory of 2017........ genuine question,  do you think you are now stronger than you were prior to Dublin teaching mickey a lesson  in football.... what has changed ???
Definitely 1, maybe 2.

Will be bad for Ulster football if one of Donegal or Tyrone don't reach the last 4. Monaghan have probably gone as far as they will go but I hope I'm proven wrong.

An Watcher

Monaghan home to Kerry and away to Galway.  They will fear neither.  Can't help but feel home advantage will be massive in these games and wouldn't be surprised to see Kerry eliminated.

Esmarelda

Quote from: Hound on July 08, 2018, 09:29:17 PM
Roll on next week. All 8 teams arrive having put up a very good performance. The first week will be great and the second week will be even better, with all four provincial champions playing away from home. Let's hope there's plenty to play for come the third round.
Are the provincial champions not at home in week 2?

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Esmarelda on July 08, 2018, 10:37:11 PM
No provincial champs not at home until Round 3.

macdanger2

No, home game in the final round. This is something that I'd like to see changed as it seems to disadvantage the provincial winners. On the other hand, I think the qualifiers should have a week break before the super 8s begin

macdanger2

Quote from: hardstation on July 08, 2018, 10:58:44 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on July 08, 2018, 10:55:08 PM

No, home game in the final round. This is something that I'd like to see changed as it seems to disadvantage the provincial winners. On the other hand, I think the qualifiers should have a week break before the super 8s begin
How does it disadvantage them?

For the two teams that lose the first game, the qualifier has a home game next while the provincial winner has to play away (potentially) looking to keep their season alive. Small enough thing but still a disadvantage imo

seafoid

Ros are 3/1 against Tyrone which looks attractive
The aim of the competition is to go further than the Super 8 .
Odds in order are Dubs, Kerry, Galway, Donegal , Tyrone, Monaghan, Kildare and Roscommon
It will be interesting to see how the qualifiers  get on
for Kildare and Ros getting to the super 8 is already an achievement.
Tyrone and Monaghan would presumably be hoping for a semifinal.

sid waddell

Quote from: hardstation on July 08, 2018, 10:58:44 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on July 08, 2018, 10:55:08 PM

How does it disadvantage them?

Put yourself in Galway or Donegal's shoes.

Both are expected to lose first time out against Kerry and Dublin respectively.

Galway would then be facing into the bear pit of Newbridge while Donegal then have a losable game in Roscommon.

For me Galway are on a really sticky wicket as regards the fixture schedule.

I think Kildare could take Monaghan next week and if they do, they could put Galway out in Newbridge.

Tyrone's schedule is a good one with a view to them contending for an All-Ireland final place.

They'll beat Roscommon and then have what is effectively a free shot at Dublin in Omagh.

If they come through the group, I feel that free shot at Dublin will benefit them hugely in a semi-final and/or final.

From the Bunker

http://hoganstand.com/Article/Index/287562

"Dublin will be the team in the Super 8s without a home game"

July 08, 2018

Charlie Redmond believes that Dublin playing their league games at Croke Park is good for 'clubs and counties all over the country'.

The Hill 16 legend has had his say on the debate about Jim Gavin's team's familiarity with GAA HQ giving them an unfair advantage over their opponents.

He argues that the money raised from Dublin's Croke Park outings benefits the wider GAA community.

"Dublin will be the team in the Super 8s without a home game," the 1995 All-Ireland winner writes in his Sunday World column today.

"Your home ground is the one where the county board maintains the pitch, tries to improve the facilities for players and supporters, where all the county's inter-county teams can train if they want to.

"None of that applies to Croke Park. All of the above applies to Parnell Park.

"Dublin choose to play their league matches in Croke Park to get extra money for everyone. The Allianz League receipts are divided by 32.

"Most of their championship games are fixed for Croker so that the thousands of people who want to see them and their opponents play can do so in comfort.

"And so that clubs and counties all over the country can get grants from GAA HQ to improve their own pitches, clubhouses and coaching programmes."

Farrandeelin

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 08, 2018, 11:29:27 PM
http://hoganstand.com/Article/Index/287562

"Dublin will be the team in the Super 8s without a home game"

July 08, 2018

Charlie Redmond believes that Dublin playing their league games at Croke Park is good for 'clubs and counties all over the country'.

The Hill 16 legend has had his say on the debate about Jim Gavin's team's familiarity with GAA HQ giving them an unfair advantage over their opponents.

He argues that the money raised from Dublin's Croke Park outings benefits the wider GAA community.

"Dublin will be the team in the Super 8s without a home game," the 1995 All-Ireland winner writes in his Sunday World column today.

"Your home ground is the one where the county board maintains the pitch, tries to improve the facilities for players and supporters, where all the county's inter-county teams can train if they want to.

"None of that applies to Croke Park. All of the above applies to Parnell Park.

"Dublin choose to play their league matches in Croke Park to get extra money for everyone. The Allianz League receipts are divided by 32.

"Most of their championship games are fixed for Croker so that the thousands of people who want to see them and their opponents play can do so in comfort.

"And so that clubs and counties all over the country can get grants from GAA HQ to improve their own pitches, clubhouses and coaching programmes."

Don't know whether to laugh or to cry. Such a serious load of bollix that article. Can't have a straight face writing that.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.