Super 8s

Started by theticklemister, February 19, 2017, 10:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Obvious

Quote from: omagh_gael on July 07, 2018, 11:41:09 PM
We're very happy with our progress so far, Syf. Momentum is hard to beat.

Do you agree with Cregg's sentiments? You've had a spectacularly easy route to the super 8s.

All qualifier games that Tyrone were expected to win that won't be the case for 2 of their next 3 games. Roscommon got nothing spectacularly easy today while Cork just rolled over against Tyrone.

weareros

Quote from: rodney trotter on July 08, 2018, 12:09:56 AM
Until they restructure the provinces and have 8 in each province, it will always be easier route for some teams.  There is that much changes in Gaa,  i doubt counties  will care what province they are put in.

And then if you restructured provinces, so many counties still have to deal with the arbitrary county boundaries drawn up in Elizabethan times. While no county would want to amalgamate, the smaller populated counties have a disadvantage in player resources and the revenue they can generate from the populace to support a county team.

weareros

Quote from: Manning18 on July 08, 2018, 12:15:45 AM
Quote from: Syferus on July 08, 2018, 12:00:47 AM
Quote from: Manning18 on July 07, 2018, 11:55:50 PM
Cregg probably just said the first stock answer that came to his head in the interview. The point about it being farcical though is a sound one. A one off game to reach me Super 8s, and then when you lose that you get another one off game against a D3 side (with 3 weeks rest compared to their one) to reach them. Thought it was telling enough that a McGeeney side, usually well fit, looked out on their feet in injury time. Playing 77 mins in 28 degrees last week has to have told.

The system needs to be changed. We're getting there slowly. Part of me hopes the Super 8s bombs this year so we get the change this summer. A good Super 8s might paper over the cracks and they'll run with the same competitions again. Simplest solution for a quick fix is for provincial losers to enter the qualifiers at R3 and have them pair off in R4. Same rest period for qualifiers and provincial losers if possible

Kerry had to beat that Cork team to get to the Super 8s. Dublin had Wicklow and Laois. And you're mouthing about Roscommon's run in being handy.

Lol.

I suppose this is the one month in the year when Galway people realise football exists, until the horsey stuff starts.

If Kerry or Dublin (who won 3 games) actually lost a game along the way and had to beat a D3 side off short rest then I'd be saying the same thing. Connacht and Munster are naturally skewed and these soft draws happen all to often. This has the potential to benefit Galway massively in future yet I want it gone as im not so biased that I can't see beyong my own nose. How can you really cherish making the Super 8s given whats happened? Where's the achievement in it?

As for your other comment, apologies for living in a place where we actually have other things that can also entertain us besides football, counting sheep and voting No

Connacht still has only one less game than Ulster. It had the only provincial finalist that was competitive. Playing more games in a province does not equal harder if you are winning easy games like Dublin, Donegal and Kerry. I think NY and London are better than the bottom tier teams in Ulster, Munster and Leinster. Even Div 4 Leitrim with a population of only 25k hammered Div 2 Louth. The draw in Connacht every now and then gets lopsided. When Ros won their 4 in a row, we had to beat Galway and Mayo every year. Then when we got the so called easy side of draw in 1981, Sligo dumped us out. In fact I remember an All-Ireland winning and favourites Galway U21 team getting knocked out by Leitrim not so long ago. Nothing more sanctimonious that Galway with their 250k population advantage belittling the smaller counties.

Manning18

250k advantage? It's 250k total and football is only played in about half the county. Mayo has more footballers and around the same number of football clubs as Galway. Roscommon has a decent pool to play with. Try to sustain a top hurling team, and semi professional Soccer and Rugby sides before bringing the population argument into it. Huge amount of that population made up by exiled Mayo, Ros, Sligo people etc not to mention travelling students & non nationals.

I've already suggested a quick solution, let the provincial losers enter at R3 and pair them in R4 instead so we don't get a situation like Ros losing in Connacht and having to beat Clare or Armagh to get to this stage again. Not just picking on Ros either, the Munster situation is arguably worse and the anomaly will happen there also in future. Of course, Monaghan are the poxiest side currently with their amazing run of qualifier draws, but thats a freak occurance.

Syferus

Galway win one game and lose the run of themselves. Typical.

seafoid

Quote from: Syferus on July 08, 2018, 09:59:42 AM
Galway win one game and lose the run of themselves. Typical.

Syf, you are a hoor for th'oul projection.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_projection

You would make a great thesis

straightred

Quote from: Manning18 on July 08, 2018, 09:57:03 AM
250k advantage? It's 250k total and football is only played in about half the county. Mayo has more footballers and around the same number of football clubs as Galway. Roscommon has a decent pool to play with. Try to sustain a top hurling team, and semi professional Soccer and Rugby sides before bringing the population argument into it. Huge amount of that population made up by exiled Mayo, Ros, Sligo people etc not to mention travelling students & non nationals.

I've already suggested a quick solution, let the provincial losers enter at R3 and pair them in R4 instead so we don't get a situation like Ros losing in Connacht and having to beat Clare or Armagh to get to this stage again. Not just picking on Ros either, the Munster situation is arguably worse and the anomaly will happen there also in future. Of course, Monaghan are the poxiest side currently with their amazing run of qualifier draws, but thats a freak occurance.

They may well be but that's the luck of the draw this year and it hasn't been kind to them previously. However that isnt the point - if they make the last 8 they'll have had to play 3 qualifiers in a short space of time. Ulster and leinster counties don't get the luxury of these so called anomalies

seafoid

Most of the teams in the Super 8 haven't had a decent challenge yet.

weareros

Quote from: seafoid on July 08, 2018, 10:29:33 AM
Most of the teams in the Super 8 haven't had a decent challenge yet.

Correct. Galway are the only team having had to beat two Div 1 teams in Connacht in tight, tense games.

Rossfan

Of the Provincial Champions only Galway from CONNACHT had 2 serious games.
The other 3 won turkey shoots and their combined winning margins must be well over 100 points or would it be 200?!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Baggio90

It should be an interesting Super 8s.

A shame Mayo didn't make it really. Dublin will definitely come out of the Super 8s but I think you could say 6 of the other 7 will certainly fancy their chances of progressing. I just think Roscommon are there to make up the numbers and look to be physically a long way off the other three teams.

If Monaghan win today, as expected, then you have a very interesting group. Monaghan are a seasoned Div 1 side, Galway are progressing, Kerry have a lot of exciting forwards and Kildare have momentum in their favour. None of the four sides should have reason to fear the other as there is not a great deal between him.

I think it will be between us and Donegal for the 2nd place in our group.

7 of the 8 teams played in Div 1 this year and the only team from Div 1 who didn't make it were eliminated by another Div 1 side.

Syferus

Quote from: Baggio90 on July 08, 2018, 11:04:19 AM

A shame Mayo didn't make it really. Dublin will definitely come out of the Super 8s but I think you could say 6 of the other 7 will certainly fancy their chances of progressing. I just think Roscommon are there to make up the numbers and look to be physically a long way off the other three teams.

If Monaghan win today, as expected, then you have a very interesting group. Monaghan are a seasoned Div 1 side, Galway are progressing, Kerry have a lot of exciting forwards and Kildare have momentum in their favour. None of the four sides should have reason to fear the other as there is not a great deal between him.

7 of the 8 teams played in Div 1 this year and the only team from Div 1 who didn't make it were eliminated by another Div 1 side.

You've been exposed. By rights you should be banned again for making a second account to circumvent your permanent ban. Mods?

Baggio90

Quote from: Syferus on July 08, 2018, 11:08:24 AM

You've been exposed. By rights you should be banned again for making a second account to circumvent your permanent ban. Mods?

I should be banned for dismissing Roscommon?

Aren't you a sensitive wee soul, maybe run along now and stop diluting from the football discussion with your nonsense.

Syferus

Quote from: Baggio90 on July 08, 2018, 11:19:57 AM

Aren't you a sensitive wee soul, maybe run along now and stop diluting from the football discussion with your nonsense.

Reported.

Baggio90

Quote from: Syferus on July 08, 2018, 11:26:15 AM
Quote from: Baggio90 on July 08, 2018, 11:19:57 AM

Reported.

Good snitching.

Your life must be very fulfilling if your Sunday morning consists of grassing posters up on a niche messageboard because they dismiss your team's chances.

I could say something about how pathetic your life must be and potential mental health issues but clearly you say a lot more for that than I ever could.

Do everyone a favour and run along as some of us just want to discuss the football without being slurred or brought down to your level.