Super 8s

Started by theticklemister, February 19, 2017, 10:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Champion The Wonder Horse

Tyrone Donegal the big game in this one. Winners beaten by Kerry in AI semi-final.

greatpoint

I wouldn't be getting too excited about Tyrone, it's a decade since they've beaten a non-Ulster team in in a big game in Croke Park.

omagh_gael

Rossie's path to super 8s:

Leitrim (win)
Galway (loss)
Armagh (win)

Tyrone's path to super 8s:

Monaghan (loss)
Meath (win)
Carlow (win)
Cavan (win)
Cork (win)

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2018/0707/977085-cregg-massive-achievement-to-reach-super-8s/

Cregg must have bitten his tongue to stop the laughter during this interview.

When will these unequal paths be sorted so there's a level playing field?

Syferus

Quote from: omagh_gael on July 07, 2018, 11:04:01 PM
Rossie's path to super 8s:

Leitrim (win)
Galway (loss)
Armagh (win)

Tyrone's path to super 8s:

Monaghan (loss)
Meath (win)
Carlow (win)
Cavan (win)
Cork (win)

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2018/0707/977085-cregg-massive-achievement-to-reach-super-8s/

Cregg must have bitten his tongue to stop the laughter during this interview.

When will these unequal paths be sorted so there's a level playing field?

Oh, now the Tymoanie nonsense reaches full tilt. Most of the teams you listed would have got hammered by Galway or the Armagh team we played.

I suppose this will be the core of your excuse if Tyrone burn out in the final ten minutes next week? Ock aye, us poor Ulster lads had such a tough run in, what chance did we have!

And who the feck is yer water boy, he was comedy gold today, yelling at players half way up the field as if they could hear him, "NO SCORE, NO SCORE!!!!!!!!!!"...

omagh_gael

We're very happy with our progress so far, Syf. Momentum is hard to beat.

Do you agree with Cregg's sentiments? You've had a spectacularly easy route to the super 8s.

Syferus

Quote from: omagh_gael on July 07, 2018, 11:41:09 PM

Do you agree with Cregg's sentiments? You've had a spectacularly easy route to the super 8s.

Are you well.

Jinxy

This game will be won and lost on gaaboard.
Will the Tyrone posters go man on man against Syferus, or will they try to overwhelm him with superior numbers?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Manning18

Cregg probably just said the first stock answer that came to his head in the interview. The point about it being farcical though is a sound one. A one off game to reach me Super 8s, and then when you lose that you get another one off game against a D3 side (with 3 weeks rest compared to their one) to reach them. Thought it was telling enough that a McGeeney side, usually well fit, looked out on their feet in injury time. Playing 77 mins in 28 degrees last week has to have told.

The system needs to be changed. We're getting there slowly. Part of me hopes the Super 8s bombs this year so we get the change this summer. A good Super 8s might paper over the cracks and they'll run with the same competitions again. Simplest solution for a quick fix is for provincial losers to enter the qualifiers at R3 and have them pair off in R4. Same rest period for qualifiers and provincial losers if possible

omagh_gael

Quote from: Syferus on July 07, 2018, 11:50:06 PM

Are you well.

Ah jaysis, you've lost the run of yourself. You pipped a team we obliterated in the QFs last year and outside of that beat a poor div4 team. You're on the wrong side of this debate, Syf. Familiar ground for yourself I suppose.

Syferus

Quote from: Manning18 on July 07, 2018, 11:55:50 PM
Cregg probably just said the first stock answer that came to his head in the interview. The point about it being farcical though is a sound one. A one off game to reach me Super 8s, and then when you lose that you get another one off game against a D3 side (with 3 weeks rest compared to their one) to reach them. Thought it was telling enough that a McGeeney side, usually well fit, looked out on their feet in injury time. Playing 77 mins in 28 degrees last week has to have told.

The system needs to be changed. We're getting there slowly. Part of me hopes the Super 8s bombs this year so we get the change this summer. A good Super 8s might paper over the cracks and they'll run with the same competitions again. Simplest solution for a quick fix is for provincial losers to enter the qualifiers at R3 and have them pair off in R4. Same rest period for qualifiers and provincial losers if possible

Kerry had to beat that Cork team to get to the Super 8s. Dublin had Wicklow and Laois. And you're mouthing about Roscommon's run in being handy.

Lol.

I suppose this is the one month in the year when Galway people realise football exists, until the horsey stuff starts.

rodney trotter

Until they restructure the provinces and have 8 in each province, it will always be easier route for some teams.  There is that much changes in Gaa,  i doubt counties  will care what province they are put in.

Rossfan

You can't have 8 in each PROVINCE unless you redraw County Boundaries.
Your could make 4 Regions of 8 but sure the Southern one would still be Kerry and a scatter of hurley Counties.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

omagh_gael

Quote from: Jinxy on July 07, 2018, 11:51:51 PM
This game will be won and lost on gaaboard.
Will the Tyrone posters go man on man against Syferus, or will they try to overwhelm him with superior numbers?

As long as he doesn''t ruffle our hair we have him either way.

Manning18

Quote from: Syferus on July 08, 2018, 12:00:47 AM
Quote from: Manning18 on July 07, 2018, 11:55:50 PM

Kerry had to beat that Cork team to get to the Super 8s. Dublin had Wicklow and Laois. And you're mouthing about Roscommon's run in being handy.

Lol.

I suppose this is the one month in the year when Galway people realise football exists, until the horsey stuff starts.

If Kerry or Dublin (who won 3 games) actually lost a game along the way and had to beat a D3 side off short rest then I'd be saying the same thing. Connacht and Munster are naturally skewed and these soft draws happen all to often. This has the potential to benefit Galway massively in future yet I want it gone as im not so biased that I can't see beyong my own nose. How can you really cherish making the Super 8s given whats happened? Where's the achievement in it?

As for your other comment, apologies for living in a place where we actually have other things that can also entertain us besides football, counting sheep and voting No

Baggio90

Quote from: omagh_gael on July 07, 2018, 11:59:35 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 07, 2018, 11:50:06 PM

Are you well.

An Armagh team that has lost about 10 key players this year and also has had to contend with injuries to other key players like Ethan Rafferty and Paul Hughes. They were also without Aaron McKay and Ben Crealey today through injury who would have started if fit.
Ah jaysis, you've lost the run of yourself. You pipped a team we obliterated in the QFs last year and outside of that beat a poor div4 team. You're on the wrong side of this debate, Syf. Familiar ground for yourself I suppose.