lenny

Quote from: Syferus on July 05, 2018, 05:48:37 PM
Quote from: lenny on July 05, 2018, 05:44:26 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 05, 2018, 05:18:41 PM
Quote from: Zulu on July 05, 2018, 05:11:32 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 05, 2018, 04:12:15 PM
Quote from: twohands!!! on July 05, 2018, 04:00:59 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on July 05, 2018, 12:25:13 PM
The team that will benefit most from the Super 8s is Kerry.

Yeah you'd think with their age profile this year it's set up lovely for them.
Also I saw one of the retired Kerry lads going on about how the break between winning the provincials and the quarter-final wasn't ideal as the break was often too long.

It's easy to say that when you think you're good enough to win those matches. This Kerry team aren't within a country mile of winning the AI.

You've a history of incorrectly writing Kerry off. Kerry may fall short but to say they aren't within a country mile of winning the AI is patently nonsense. Only Dublin are definitely ahead of them and even then, Kerry might have the better forward line, albeit, still to be proven.

One AI in nine seasons (btw, that is triple their historical average), and the one they did win was because Donegal did the dirty work and beat Dublin for them. I think I've been proven very correct.

You have a history of defending Dublin and pretending like the championship is in any sense balanced or fair.. you're not exactly winning that argument.

I would fancy Kerry this year to win or go very close. It's pathetic to say this Kerry team have won one AI in 9 seasons. A lot of these Kerry players are in their first season and it's therefore a new team albeit with plenty of experience there. The new players seem to have injected the much needed pace which gives them a chance of bridging the advantage dublin had in that department.

No, it's actually factual to say Kerry have won one AI in nine seasons.

And this team current team isn't being driven by those young lads either. Galway aren't great but are better set up than Kerry to give Dublin this year.

It's not factual to say this Kerry team have won one AI in 9 years. This is a new team and it looks pretty exciting to me although they have yet to face a tough test.

Syferus

Quote from: macdanger2 on July 05, 2018, 09:54:58 PM

Also I saw one of the retired Kerry lads going on about how the break between winning the provincials and the quarter-final wasn't ideal as the break was often too long.

It's easy to say that when you think you're good enough to win those matches. This Kerry team aren't within a country mile of winning the AI.

You've a history of incorrectly writing Kerry off. Kerry may fall short but to say they aren't within a country mile of winning the AI is patently nonsense. Only Dublin are definitely ahead of them and even then, Kerry might have the better forward line, albeit, still to be proven.

One AI in nine seasons (btw, that is triple their historical average), and the one they did win was because Donegal did the dirty work and beat Dublin for them. I think I've been proven very correct.

You have a history of defending Dublin and pretending like the championship is in any sense balanced or fair.. you're not exactly winning that argument.

I would fancy Kerry this year to win or go very close. It's pathetic to say this Kerry team have won one AI in 9 seasons. A lot of these Kerry players are in their first season and it's therefore a new team albeit with plenty of experience there. The new players seem to have injected the much needed pace which gives them a chance of bridging the advantage dublin had in that department.

And this team current team isn't being driven by those young lads either. Galway aren't great but are better set up than Kerry to give Dublin this year.

How many counties have a better record in those 9 years? Just Dublin?

I think Galway will struggle in CP against Kerry

And I think you're over-rating how good Kerry, which has been a common theme these last nine seasons.

Dublin, by the way, will have six from eight when they win this year's title in two months' time. To say Kerry's record is second best in that context pretends like it's much of a competition to begin with.

macdanger2

Quote from: Syferus on July 05, 2018, 10:35:51 PM

And I think you're over-rating how good Kerry, which
has been a common theme these last nine seasons.

Dublin, by the way, will have six from eight when they win this year's title in two months' time. To say Kerry's record is second best in that context pretends like it's much of a competition to begin with.

So are you saying Galway won't struggle to beat kerry?

From the Bunker

Quote from: macdanger2 on July 05, 2018, 10:54:39 PM

Galway will struggle to beat Kerry! Because traditionally that's the way it works. Kerry always expect to beat Galway.

Syferus

They'll struggle plenty based on their gutless performance against them last year. But in terms of what both teams can offer on the field there's not much between them, honestly. Galway can at least somewhat contain Dublin, which is more than can be said for the likes of Tyrone or Donegal or Kerry. That's why they're probably the best match for them. That doesn't mean I think they're particularly close to beating Dublin, because no one is.

From the Bunker

Syferus, You are pretty close to the mark there! Galway have one advantage over the other 3 Provincial Champions, They have had a tougher campaign to reach the Super 8! Still think Galway are way off the mark (the mark being Dublin).

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 05, 2018, 11:27:33 PM

Galway will struggle to beat Kerry! Because traditionally that's the way it works. Kerry always expect to beat Galway.

Kerry usually expect to beat everyone.

seafoid

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 05, 2018, 11:27:33 PM

Traditionally Dublin were Galway's bogey team. Only one win against them at the final stage.
Kerry were beaten 2 years in a row in 64 and 65.
The status quo only emerged with Micko''s team.
I was looking at a few Monaghan v Kerry semifinals from the late 70s/80s. The bomber was an early prototype of Donaghy.

GrandMasterFlash

To me, it seems that GAA congress base a significant number of decisions on a 'sure we'll wait and see how it goes' ethos: http://www.hoganstand.com/County/Monaghan/Article/Index/287475

Like Newbridge-gate, and having to play the Leinster Final in Munster (involving a team from Connacht), the decision to allow any county team to nominate the same venue as home and neutral, seems like a bizarre oversight to me. The cynic might say there's something else at play here, and there usually is, but the amount of 'oversights' suggest that there's a reasonable amount of ineptitude at play here, by paid professionals..  :o

Jinxy

No team nominates a neutral venue for the Super 8s though.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Jinxy on July 06, 2018, 10:32:09 AM

OK, so who does nominate the neutral venue then, the CCCC?

Hound

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on July 06, 2018, 09:57:49 AM
To me, it seems that GAA congress base a significant number of decisions on a 'sure we'll wait and see how it goes' ethos: http://www.hoganstand.com/County/Monaghan/Article/Index/287475

Like Newbridge-gate, and having to play the Leinster Final in Munster (involving a team from Connacht), the decision to allow any county team to nominate the same venue as home and neutral, seems like a bizarre oversight to me. The cynic might say there's something else at play here, and there usually is, but the amount of 'oversights' suggest that there's a reasonable amount of ineptitude at play here, by paid professionals..  :o

The whole "neutral" point is as disingenuous as saying Croke Park is not in Dublin. There was no hidden agenda or hidden anything, it was black and white from when it was proposed and certainly when it was accepted at Congress. There was never any intention to have a round of neutral games in the Super 8! It was a round of Croke Park games. The reason for this is to maximise revenues. It's not rocket science. 

There'll be an interesting debate at Congress next time. I'm sure change will happen but will it be for next year or will it be deferred until the end of the 3 year trial period. Not a whole lot to gain for the Leinster or Ulster teams by changing it before then.

GalwayBayBoy

Well looks like one group is sorted.

Dublin
Donegal
Roscommon
Tyrone

Jinxy

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on July 06, 2018, 11:43:42 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on July 06, 2018, 10:32:09 AM

OK, so who does nominate the neutral venue then, the CCCC?

Nobody.
It's 'home', 'away' or 'Croke Park'.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

longballin

so 'neutral' games as in Croke Park must be double headers?