Super 8s

Started by theticklemister, February 19, 2017, 10:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ball Hopper

So tell me Zulu, what will replace the provincial councils, or will they just die away under your plan?

Zulu

Quote from: macdanger2 on August 05, 2017, 10:31:32 PM
Quote from: Zulu on August 05, 2017, 10:27:01 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 05, 2017, 10:23:49 PM
Quote from: Zulu on August 05, 2017, 10:14:58 PM
FtB, with respect, that's not true. Every second year (almost) there's a Munster final in Killarney with 30,000 Corkonians going  to Killarney, many knowing they won't get a ticket for the match. The same would happen if Mayo hosted Dublin. The GAA isn't run by non-GAA people but they have to make some tough decisions. I'm a genuine GAA man but believe the provincials are a complete crock, other genuine GAA people believe they are vital. Duffy and others have to try and make decisions that will annoy people irrespective of what they do. It's easy to say the guys at the top aren't GAA men when the rest of us fundamentally disagree on many things. It's a poisoned chalice running the GAA IMO.

This is not Kerry and Cork! This is Dublin! Kerry and Cork have a Provincial Championship agreement. There is no such agreement between Dublin and any other county. All Super 8 games involving Dublin will be in Dublin. Ground Capacity and all the other factors influence this.

Wrong, you couldn't be more wrong. If Mayo are playing Dublin at home in the super 8 you will be playing them in Castlebar, guaranteed.

Isn't it the case though that that will only happen in years where one of the teams is a qualifier?

Yes, I think so but that would be the scenario in the past two years.

Zulu

Quote from: Ball Hopper on August 05, 2017, 10:34:49 PM
So tell me Zulu, what will replace the provincial councils, or will they just die away under your plan?

Why would the provincial councils have to be replaced?

From the Bunker

Quote from: Esmarelda on August 05, 2017, 10:33:05 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 05, 2017, 10:16:34 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on August 05, 2017, 10:12:07 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 05, 2017, 10:03:40 PM
Quote from: Zulu on August 05, 2017, 09:47:08 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 05, 2017, 08:24:49 PM
Quote from: Zulu on August 05, 2017, 08:18:26 PM
Give it a rest FtB, of course that will happen if the teams meet and Mayo have a home game against Dublin. You're CB would be lynched if they didn't have 20-30,000 Dubs coming to Mayo for a game. Your paranoia is getting the better of you.

What is the Capacity of McHale Park?

I don't know, 35,000? I understand the capacity is less than the demand would be but whatever about a county with a 20,000 capacity or less having to give up home advantage, Mayo would not and to imply otherwise is disingenuous to say the least.

It holds 38,000 (all seated). You are talking about 20-30,000 Dubs coming to Mayo for a game.  Do you think the GAA who invented this Super 8 to get extra revenue from the Game will have Dublin play a Championship game in McHale park minus the extra capacity, the Rent paying Vendors and Corporate Boxes? This is not about getting better games. This is not about giving everyone a fair chance. This is about the GAA regaining declining revenue. This game would only be played in McHale Park if it was a Dead Rubber fixture!
Ha ha. Already a step back from what you've REPEATEDLY said previously.

There is NO step back from what I said previously.  ;)
July 24th 2017 - "If Mayo were to play Dublin there is no way the game would be in McHale Park."
July 23rd 2017 - "Dublin play a Championship game in Castlebar - Are you on drugs! Do you still believe in Santa?"

I see you also mention the new version. So which is it?

And I stick by what I said there will be no meaningful Championship Game with the Dubs coming to Castlebar. But hey you believe what you believe!

Ball Hopper

Quote from: Zulu on August 05, 2017, 10:35:55 PM

If you are advocating no provincial championships, what purpose will they serve? 

Every County Board runs their own affairs, and a central All-Ireland championship seems to be your preference.  So what would the provincial councils do?  Be a regional coordinator for Central Council?

Or would they continue just for minor and U20?

Zulu

That's like saying I believe the world is flat but hey you believe what you want. You have provided nothing to support your assertion that a home Mayo game will be played in Croke Park and I'm absolutely certain you are wrong.

Zulu

Quote from: Ball Hopper on August 05, 2017, 10:39:25 PM

If you are advocating no provincial championships, what purpose will they serve? 

Every County Board runs their own affairs, and a central All-Ireland championship seems to be your preference.  So what would the provincial councils do?  Be a regional coordinator for Central Council?

Sorry, do we only have provincial councils to run a handful of provincial championship games each year?

From the Bunker

Quote from: Zulu on August 05, 2017, 10:41:39 PM
That's like saying I believe the world is flat but hey you believe what you want. You have provided nothing to support your assertion that a home Mayo game will be played in Croke Park and I'm absolutely certain you are wrong.

Not going to waste any more of your time or mine. Dublin play Championship games in Croke Park. Especially big games. The market place determines this.

Look, we will have to wait and see.

Ball Hopper

Quote from: Zulu on August 05, 2017, 10:43:53 PM

Sorry, do we only have provincial councils to run a handful of provincial championship games each year?

If you are saying the provincial council will be the regional branch of Central Council, then fair enough.  Without a provincial championship they will lose a lot of their current funding.  How will that be replaced?

Are you abolishing minor and U20 provincial systems as well in favour of open draws?

Are the provincial championships gone for hurling as well under your plan?

Just curious...I see merit in having the conversation about finishing provincial championships, but it must be discussed to deeper levels for the impacts throughout each region.

Zulu

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 05, 2017, 10:48:55 PM
Quote from: Zulu on August 05, 2017, 10:41:39 PM

Not going to waste any more of your time or mine. Dublin play Championship games in Croke Park. Especially big games. The market place determines this.

Look, we will have to wait and see.

Fair enough.

Zulu

Quote from: Ball Hopper on August 05, 2017, 10:52:42 PM
Quote from: Zulu on August 05, 2017, 10:43:53 PM

If you are saying the provincial council will be the regional branch of Central Council, then fair enough.  Without a provincial championship they will lose a lot of their current funding.  How will that be replaced?

Are you abolishing minor and U20 provincial systems as well in favour of open draws?

Are the provincial championships gone for hurling as well under your plan?

Just curious...I see merit in having the conversation about finishing provincial championships, but it must be discussed to deeper levels for the impacts throughout each region.

Of course, it's complicated but I see no reason why an organisation like the GAA can't organise finances so that regional bodies like provincial councils can't still get what they need. That would be the least of the problems I think.

manfromdelmonte

there isn't going to be anything 'super' about these super 8s

most games will be one sided

Rossfan

Change it to the "Big 5"
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

balladmaker

QuoteChange it to the "Big 5"

There is no Big 5, just a Big 3 .... Dublin, Tyrone and Kerry in that order as I see it presently.

Syferus

Quote from: balladmaker on August 06, 2017, 01:11:20 PM
QuoteChange it to the "Big 5"

There is no Big 5, just a Big 3 .... Dublin, Tyrone and Kerry in that order as I see it presently.

Tyrone have no right to be in that group before Mayo. There's Dublin and then there's three teams a good step after them, nearer the rest than Dublin.