Super 8s

Started by theticklemister, February 19, 2017, 10:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cunny Funt

Can't help feeling the Super 8s will be one of the biggest errors the GAA men in suits will bring in. And once its end there will be no going back only slight adjustment made to this "money" making format. You'll have the few of those that will say lets wait and see it might be better than what we already have but the same was said about Mr Trump.

Jinxy

I'm not a fan of the Super 8 concept, but I think this idea that Dublin, Tyrone & Kerry will go around the country laying waste to the opposition next year, based on the quarter-finals, is a bit simplistic.
I'm very curious to see Dublin on the road.
No doubt there will be one or two hammerings on the way, but I think teams will be a lot more relaxed as it's not 'lose this and you're gone' anymore.
There might be a bit more adventure, with teams willing to have a cut instead of shutting up shop to limit the damage.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

RedHand88

Quote from: Syferus on August 06, 2017, 01:16:44 PM
Quote from: balladmaker on August 06, 2017, 01:11:20 PM
QuoteChange it to the "Big 5"

There is no Big 5, just a Big 3 .... Dublin, Tyrone and Kerry in that order as I see it presently.

Tyrone have no right to be in that group before Mayo. There's Dublin and then there's three teams a good step after them, nearer the rest than Dublin.

Mayo were beat by Galway, then struggled against Derry, Clare and Roscommon. Of course Tyrone have more of a right to be there over Mayo.

Syferus

Quote from: RedHand88 on August 06, 2017, 04:19:38 PM

There is no Big 5, just a Big 3 .... Dublin, Tyrone and Kerry in that order as I see it presently.

Tyrone have no right to be in that group before Mayo. There's Dublin and then there's three teams a good step after them, nearer the rest than Dublin.

Mayo were beat by Galway, then struggled against Derry, Clare and Roscommon. Of course Tyrone have more of a right to be there over Mayo.

How many times have Tyrone beat Mayo in the championship since Dublin started dominating? Actually, how many times have Tyrone made the final since then? This sport is about what you do, not what you might do. Unless Tyrone shock the island and beat Dublin they will have done little to eclipse what Mayo have done in the last five or six years.

The Trap

IF Roscommon beat Mayo the semi final will be a walkover for Kerry........if Mayo win and get a couple of weeks decent prep we might get two decent semi finals to save the season......but it's been that way for a few years now......

RedHand88

Quote from: Syferus on August 06, 2017, 04:43:37 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on August 06, 2017, 04:19:38 PM

How many times have Tyrone beat Mayo in the championship since Dublin started dominating? Actually, how many times have Tyrone made the final since then? This sport is about what you do, not what you might do. Unless Tyrone shock the island and beat Dublin they will have done little to eclipse what Mayo have done in the last five or six years.

Its not about the last 5 or 6 years. You can't claim they are better than Tyrone at the minute off the back of past achievements. How far back do you go? Let's start at 2003 sure....

armaghniac

The only useful thing to do with an 8 is divide Dublin in 8, each bit of which would still have more people than Kerry and significantly more than the likes of Mayo. This could become a new "province".
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rossfan

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 06, 2017, 04:07:23 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on August 06, 2017, 03:10:41 PM
They might be better than their opposition though ;D

Mayo aren't great this year at all. Really far off where they were unless they really waken up - whether it is still there or not still remains to be seen If roscommon can challenge them then so could monaghan unless roscommon got them on the hop. Don't forget a very average side in derry were very close to putting mayo out and clare rattled them.

But they didn't! Just like teams like westmeath, Sligo and Antrim came close to beating Kerry when they were a top team using the back door, but Didn't!

Why don't we just accept that Ulster teams are wonderful and Connacht teams are sh1te. ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Esmarelda

What's the relevance of this Top 5 discussion in the context of the Super 8?

imtommygunn

Quote from: Rossfan on August 06, 2017, 05:39:09 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 06, 2017, 04:07:23 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on August 06, 2017, 03:10:41 PM
They might be better than their opposition though ;D

Mayo aren't great this year at all. Really far off where they were unless they really waken up - whether it is still there or not still remains to be seen If roscommon carn challenge them then so could monaghan unless roscommon got them on the hop. Don't forget a very average side in derry were very close to putting mayo out and clare rattled them.

What has ulster got to do with anything? What kind of debate is that? I'm from ulster so can't have an opinion as it's biased?  5 is a made up number because 2 teams drew esmaralda. That seems the crux of it.
But they didn't! Just like teams like westmeath, Sligo and Antrim came close to beating Kerry when they were a top team using the back door, but Didn't!

Why don't we just accept that Ulster teams are wonderful and Connacht teams are sh1te. ::)

What has ulster got to do with anything? Convenient get out of any reasoned debate.

5 is a made up number esmeralda. Two teams drew leaving 5 counties left so whoever loses is the 5th best team in the country seems to be the point. I am debating that. They are somewhere from 5-8.

Granted derry didn't mayo ftb but you would expect mayo of old to get better from that and they haven't yet. i hope you do but remains to be seen if you have still "got it".

The Trap

Prediction for next 5 years:
Always in last 8:
Dublin and Kerry

Teams that if they make last 8 might compete with Dublin and Kerry:
Tyrone - might do a Donegal in a couple of years and drop away for a year or two
Mayo - prob get another new manager, replenish the batteries and go again and again

Other teams:
Leinster
Kildare - seem to have the right attitude so may make a run to last 8 occasionally but won't win anything
Meath - the game needs Meath but they are so far away it's unreal for a massively populated place that is gaa mad......maybe within 5 years they could get back to being competitive
No other team has a hope
Munster
Cork - same as Meath, football needs a strong Cork....maybe a new manager can do something as again this is a massive gaa county that should be doing better
Tipp and Clare have done really well recently but don't have the resources to mount a challenge in a top 8
Connaught
Galway - just like Meath and cork we need a strong Galway.....would be worried though how this team lost so badly to Tipp Roscommon and Kerry in last 12 months. Do they have the balls to keep at it?
Roscommon - can make top 8 occasionally but that's about it
Ulster
Donegal - will take a while to regroup but can make top 8 a couple of times in next 5 years without challenging for Sam
Derry - are one county sitting under the radar that could come good but a bit like Galway have they the balls to work hard enough at it?
Monaghan Armagh Cavan may make it to last 8 with a good draw but that's about as far as they will go.

Basically it's between Dublin and Kerry for at least the first 5 years of the super 8. Tyrone and Mayo will keep at it this year and next.

There are so many counties that have no hope, will they keep at it?

Blowitupref

Malachy O'Rourke: Super 8s will make strong stronger

Malachy O'Rourke fears the introduction of the Super 8 format on a three-year trial basis next year will only widen the gap between the top three or four football counties and the rest.

The Monaghan manager believes the new format will make it even harder for those outside Dublin, Kerry, Tyrone and possibly Mayo to come through the All-Ireland SFC quarter-final stage next year. He was speaking after the Farney County's heavy defeat to Dublin in Croke Park yesterday.

"You can't argue with that after today," he told RTE.

"Armagh got well beaten by Tyrone just before us, and certainly there are a couple of counties getting that bit stronger and have pulled ahead this year. I could be proved wrong but I think it [Super 8s] will [make it harder].

"If I'm speaking honestly, I think it will. Especially for the smaller counties with less resources, if we play a really tough game one week and we have to go out again the following week, you're probably going to have fellas carrying injuries, you might have suspensions and things like that there.

"Whereas the stronger counties don't rely on a few individuals as much. They have stronger panels. I could be proved wrong but I think it will [make it harder].

"You can never say that. You can never write anyone off. But I just think the actual format, and maybe I'll be proved wrong, if you've a home game in Clones and things like that, that could change it, just if you're asking me my honest opinion, I think it will make it tougher."
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

The Trap

OMG..........4 Turkey shoots

Taylor

We should just change it to the Super 4. Top 2 play in final

Super 8 is going to be a complete balls up given the gap between the top 4 and the rest

RedHand88

Quote from: Taylor on August 07, 2017, 02:54:19 PM
We should just change it to the Super 4. Top 2 play in final

Super 8 is going to be a complete balls up given the gap between the top 4 and the rest

One of the "Super 4" didn't make the semis last year