TG4 - Club Championships Coverage

Started by drici, September 23, 2007, 05:05:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

You still have to be able to kick the ball over the bar from the 14 yard line. Winners are not built in gyms. They're built on the football field. There were a few players on show today who were too bulked to move at pace at times.

general_lee

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on December 06, 2015, 09:28:08 PM
You still have to be able to kick the ball over the bar from the 14 yard line. Winners are not built in gyms. They're built on the football field. There were a few players on show today who were too bulked to move at pace at times.
Main emphasis should be on fitness rather than strength imo.

INDIANA

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on December 06, 2015, 09:28:08 PM

agreed. Thats why you should ensure kids can kick off both feet before they are 15/16. But you won't win anything either without the gym .

Jamie Clarke would be an immeasurably better player if he committed to the gym. He has all the skills in the world and if he added some power to the frame he'd be in the top 5 forwards in the country

sid waddell

I thought today's match was exciting due to its closeness but, although there were a couple of very good scores towards the end, I felt it was somewhat lacking in quality overall, certainly compared to the Ulster final. Some of the defending was awful. Both teams were frequently wide open.

Boden will have enough to take care of Clonmel but I don't think they'll have enough to beat Crossmaglen or Castlebar.

johnneycool

Quote from: rodney trotter on December 06, 2015, 09:03:36 PM
The Scotstown team beaten in the Ulster Club final were doing 6am Gym sessions throughout the year.

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiT1-fKkMjJAhWBgg8KHShVB58QFggjMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fgaaclub.ie%2Fearly-rises-pay-off-for-scotstown%2F&usg=AFQjCNFpFtA8yzd6FJv0FlqhgvI3FwDQcQ

Well their manager lived in the gym in Jordanstown when I was there and he couldn't turn in a five acre field later on in the summer when playing for Tyrone.

There's a balance to be struck, and I'd always get worried if I hear of U16's off to the gym for strength and conditioning as there's enough balloons out there telling them to bench press this and that. Utter madness some of the stuff you hear going on.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: johnneycool on December 08, 2015, 12:10:25 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on December 06, 2015, 09:03:36 PM
The Scotstown team beaten in the Ulster Club final were doing 6am Gym sessions throughout the year.

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiT1-fKkMjJAhWBgg8KHShVB58QFggjMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fgaaclub.ie%2Fearly-rises-pay-off-for-scotstown%2F&usg=AFQjCNFpFtA8yzd6FJv0FlqhgvI3FwDQcQ

Well their manager lived in the gym in Jordanstown when I was there and he couldn't turn in a five acre field later on in the summer when playing for Tyrone.

There's a balance to be struck, and I'd always get worried if I hear of U16's off to the gym for strength and conditioning as there's enough balloons out there telling them to bench press this and that. Utter madness some of the stuff you hear going on.

We all say that and all but the reality is that at 13-14 we were doing circuits every winter.  We may not have been doing hevay weights programs but we were doing programs,  organised by a local PE teacher,  that were very similar to the modern day circuit training that you see in every gym and hall in the country.  This was over 25 years ago and we did it twice a week in the winter months and then we played basketball for an hour.  The whole notion of strength and conditioning is not new,  it has just become more 'defined'.  We were lifting dumbells and doing chin ups and press ups and burpess and squats and the lot.  Just because it was in a gym with mirrors doesn't mean it wasn't conditioning

illdecide

The problem is young fellas go into the gym and lift weights and they don't know what they're doing, i think a mixture of both is good but we're putting to much emphasis on S&C. Someone mentioned Jamie Clarke there, he's like an eel and so hard to stop if he bulked out i reckon it would take away the most important part of his game. If u bench 120k but can't run or score what good is the Gym.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

screenexile

Quote from: illdecide on December 08, 2015, 02:30:38 PM
The problem is young fellas go into the gym and lift weights and they don't know what they're doing, i think a mixture of both is good but we're putting to much emphasis on S&C. Someone mentioned Jamie Clarke there, he's like an eel and so hard to stop if he bulked out i reckon it would take away the most important part of his game. If u bench 120k but can't run or score what good is the Gym.

The main problem I see with the Strength and Conditioning is lads losing sight of what it's there for. It's meant to supplement your football work not substitute it.

Lads start off in the gym as good footballers then the muscles start to come through and the weights start to get heavier then the next thing the goal has shifted from being stronger at football to being some six pack dickhead or some meathead who can deadlift 200kg. . . neither of which are conducive to being a good footballer. (The diet needed to maintain the body fat percentage for a six pack can affect your energy levels/aerobic capacity while being able to lift 200kg needs you to be big so you will lose your speed!)

Most Senior Football teams are getting supervised professional training from an S&C coach twice a week the problem arises when lads have access to the gym themselves and are doing another 2/3/4 gym sessions rather than going out and practicing their kicking!!!

illdecide

Quote from: screenexile on December 08, 2015, 03:03:27 PM
Quote from: illdecide on December 08, 2015, 02:30:38 PM

The main problem I see with the Strength and Conditioning is lads losing sight of what it's there for. It's meant to supplement your football work not substitute it.

Lads start off in the gym as good footballers then the muscles start to come through and the weights start to get heavier then the next thing the goal has shifted from being stronger at football to being some six pack d**khead or some meathead who can deadlift 200kg. . . neither of which are conducive to being a good footballer. (The diet needed to maintain the body fat percentage for a six pack can affect your energy levels/aerobic capacity while being able to lift 200kg needs you to be big so you will lose your speed!)

Most Senior Football teams are getting supervised professional training from an S&C coach twice a week the problem arises when lads have access to the gym themselves and are doing another 2/3/4 gym sessions rather than going out and practicing their kicking!!!

100% i concur
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

tippabu

Commercials v Tir Connell on irish tv (sky191) at 1.30 today

drici

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship Semi Finals
Sarsfields(Galway) v Cushendall Ruairí Ógs(Antrim)   beo
2-00pm   Navan
there Exeter: Paud O'Dwyer(Carlow)

Na Piarsaigh(Limerick) v Oulart the Ballagh(Wexford)   beo
3-45pm   Thurles
there Exeter: Fergal Horgan(Tipperary)

Show starts at 1-30pm.

tippabu

I see a few places saying today that Paul Durcan us back for the Ballyboden match. Is he definitely eligible? Played the middle eastern games at the weekend in qatar and now for ballyboden 2 weeks later

Farrandeelin

Anybody hear that the Ardnaree and Hollymount-Carramore games are on 191 this Saturday for those of us who can't go?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ballinaman

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 03, 2016, 10:11:56 PM
Anybody hear that the Ardnaree and Hollymount-Carramore games are on 191 this Saturday for those of us who can't go?
They are listed on the TV planner anyway. Happy days...

Whitehair

Quote from: tippabu on February 03, 2016, 10:07:12 PM
I see a few places saying today that Paul Durcan us back for the Ballyboden match. Is he definitely eligible? Played the middle eastern games at the weekend in qatar and now for ballyboden 2 weeks later

You don't need a transfer to play for a middle eastern club.