Club Finals 2021 to Finsih in calander year

Started by irish345, July 01, 2019, 09:49:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

irish345

Just heard on otb that after next year they want to be play the club finals in an calendar year

My propasal would be to play them on st stephens day st stephens has that saturday feel about it anyway and its a big sports day

id have all the 6 finals on that day if possible in croke park junior intermediate senor   in hurling and football

sligoman2

Playing it the day after Christmas is never going to happen, it's not fair on players or supporters.  Maybe Christmas Eve would work..
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: sligoman2 on July 01, 2019, 11:45:27 PM
Playing it the day after Christmas is never going to happen, it's not fair on players or supporters.  Maybe Christmas Eve would work..

Christmas Eve would be just as unworkable imo.

December 8 isn't a public holiday. Maybe first Sunday in December?
Hasta la victoria siempre

Ball Hopper

Independence Day should be a holiday...play the finals that day.

brokencrossbar1

It is actually very disrespectful in my opinion to the club game to have the club finals tagged on to the end of the year.  Between the rush of getting it all pushed through and the possible weather complications the game will be a disaster potentially and there is no real interest in player welfare as it is just pushing it through to get it finished,  I give you our game v Ballinderry as an example of what can happen

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/crossmaglen-prove-their-mettle-again-1.1033573

themac_23

Personally I think it's a good idea, currently the provincial championships are done end of November or so, then waiting over 8-9 weeks, quiet Christmas etc training etc  with little game time for a semi final, far too much of a gap, let's try it and see how it goes, also frees all club players up for the county before national league with a break between club and county commitments

meathie

New Years Day might be a good option (though technically would be 01/01/2022!) give players SOME kind of Christmas time but then some training etc on the dull in between days of Christmas, plus no one does anything on that day...........

Rossfan

Totally in favour.
Having a years competition ending 10 weeks into the next year smacks of the early 1900s.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

five points

Quote from: Rossfan on July 02, 2019, 11:10:20 AM
Having a years competition ending 10 weeks into the next year smacks of the early 1900s.

The current year argument is always funny to see.

brokencrossbar1

I personally would hate to have to play on a football field inthe middle of December in the wind and rain and gutters to decide upon the possibly biggest prize I would ever win.  It would be a retrograd step in my view and would further isolate the club player and copper fasten the notion of elitism for the county player.  The reality is that it only impacts year on year about 150 players per competition so what is the big deal letting it run on to March 17th? 

Over the Bar

This will only suit clubs whose county teams are out of the AI Championship early every year such as Derry and Armagh.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Over the Bar on July 02, 2019, 12:17:24 PM
This will only suit clubs whose county teams are out of the AI Championship early in the year such as Derry and Armagh.

The current way doesn't help Tyrone clubs anyway.....Derry and Armagh clubs with AI senior titles - 9, Tyrone Clubs - 0.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on July 02, 2019, 12:40:10 PM
If the Ladies GFA can can complete all their All-Ireland club competitions by the end of the calendar year, then there's no logistical reason why the GAA cannot do the same.

using Armagh as an example there are 26 teams in the Ladies football in total.  In the men's football there are 46.  I would make an educated guess that this is reflected across the country in terms of participation in each county.  Also the number of ladies county games are significantly less than the men's games so the time demands are less therefore the club competitions can be run off quicker.

I really do not see the issue with running the competition into March?  What impact does it have negatively on the game to retain it as it is?

magpie seanie

Is the weather always better in March than in December? You can't say in this country.

I think the idea is to pull the provincials forward a couple of weeks so it can all be completed by end on November/early December. And it makes sense. If the organisation is going to sort out the mess with fixtures there will have to be changes. It might be unpalatable for some to break the St Patrick's Day link but to me it makes less sense keeping club teams going for 8/10 weeks over Christmas after they've already had a long year.