Ger Canning or Darragh Maloney??

Started by Quarterback, September 03, 2008, 04:15:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maroon Heaven

Used have no time for Canning, but I like him now. Himself and Kevin McStay are very good. Same with Duignan in the hurling. You need a good analyiser beside you who can be quick to come in, instead of others who wait to be introduced.

Morrisey is alright, but you see him everywhere, ranging from Pitchside, to RTE News, to pre match.... He is lost in the whole scheme of things.

Maloney I like, sure he will find a home someday.

If anyone needs a finger pointed at, its Lyster and Spillane. Bring Down Jerome Quinn I say.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: guy crouchback on September 18, 2008, 02:19:23 PM
does anyone else think that Micheal o Muircheartaigh has lost it. it could be that he is  getting old but the amount of mistakes he is making recently is unreal. he regularly gets the score wrong and has taken to rambling on with stories while play is going on. he used to this only in breaks in play.
I always found MOM very inaccurate for identifying players.
Obviously he gets away with it on radio.
As seen in the documentary about him, he usually has a son or daughter with him as a spotter to point out the scorer's name on the programme to help him out.

Bomber

Quote from: cavanmaniac on September 18, 2008, 05:12:58 PM
Maloney or Canning? Well it's hardly a poser of daddy or chips proportions, is it?

Just imagine how much less of an impact Mugsy's goal v Dublin would have had a few years back if it had been Ger 'funeral cortege' Canning or Marty 'Deise-Banner-Treaty-Breffni-Rebel county' Morrissey at the mic.

No contest.

Magic, MAGIC MULLIGAN!!!!!!!

blast05

QuoteCanning seems to be going through the motions with what seems like no interest in the process, using the same old cliches game after game. Maloney is way better he brings some excitement to the game.

Every one seems to be agreeing along the lines of the comment above. That would be all fair comment if it was based on Canning up to a few years ago imho but in the last few years i honestly think he has really got his act together. People are highlighting certain things he says as painful or whatever, such as "James cha Fitzpatrick" but sure equally there are things about Maloney that make you wish he would shut up. I'm not suggesting he is better than Maloney, mostly down to the way he gets players names wrong every so often but 2 things - over the past few seasons he appears to have a real level of enthusiam during a good game and also, while he gets a few names wrong, it is nowhere near as many as God himself - O' Muircheartaigh
As for Marty the Muppet - it could be the game of the decade and he wouldn't raise the decibel level a single notch ..... dreaming about being back in Bejing at the beach volleyball....

Frank Casey

Quote from: blast05 on September 18, 2008, 10:42:13 PM
[As for Marty the Muppet - it could be the game of the decade and he wouldn't raise the decibel level a single notch ..... dreaming about being back in Bejing at the beach volleyball....

Still think his cousins in Ballydung would be better (looking!!!!!!!!!).
KERRY 3:7

5 Sams

Watching the game again. Canning talking about Ethan Rafferty today...said he went to St Paul's in Bessbrook...whos prinicipal is Jarlath Burns, former Down Captain!!!!!!!!
The Aristocrat Years

shark

Quote from: 5 Sams on June 04, 2017, 07:24:32 PM
Watching the game again. Canning talking about Ethan Rafferty today...said he went to St Paul's in Bessbrook...whos prinicipal is Jarlath Burns, former Down Captain!!!!!!!!

He is awful.

First play of the game, Down midfielder wins the throw in, goes on a run before losing possession about 30m from goal. Canning says "cut out at source by the Armagh backs". What does that even mean? He ran 40m with the ball before he lost it.

Canning doesn't have to talk so much, a bit of silence is fine.