Visiting Ireland

Started by RoyFilm, January 20, 2016, 09:16:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoyFilm

I'm hoping someone will be able to answer my hurling schedule questions.

My family and I are visiting Dublin the weekend of July 9th and 10th, 2016. I played a bit as a youth and would love to attend a game at Croke Park with my boys.

I just saw a schedule posted that had games listed on July 3rd and July 17th with no scheduled matches on July 10th. I'm heartbroken as I am not able to be in Dublin on any other Sunday.  :'( I was hoping a hurling match would be the highlight of our visit to Dublin.

Questions:
Is the schedule final?
Is there any chance that there will be a hurling match added to the schedule for this date that just hasn't been listed yet?
Might there be semi-final matches that aren't listed on the schedule I saw?

Thanks very much for any help you can provide. It's been surprisingly difficult to find out information from overseas, even using a computer.

Much appreciated,
Roy
Baltimore, Maryland
USA

Beffs

Is this the Master fixture list you are working off?

http://www.gaa.ie/content/files/Diary%202016%281%29.pdf

(Iuil is July btw)

It is unlikely that any new games will be added to the Croke Park schedule for that weekend, as the semi finals take place the month before. If one of them is a draw and they have to be replayed, I'd say the replay will be in Semple Stadium in Thurles. If there was a game already scheduled for Croker for the weekend of July 9/10, the replay could possibly piggyback in with that game. But there isn't, so they can't.

The Ulster and Munster hurling finals take place that weekend & they won't be in Dublin. So if your heart is set on seeing a game that weekend, you'll have to travel out of Dublin to see it. The Munster hurling final is one of the most atmospheric games of the year, even though its not held in Croke Park. It would be well worth a trip to where ever its being held. It's usually in Thurles, but the location can vary, as it depends on who will be playing in it.

AZOffaly

As Beffs says, barring replays or something, it's unlikely there's a Croke Park game that will match up. However, you are from Maryland, and say you are in Dublin for the weekend. I presume that means you are elsewhere in Ireland for the rest of your trip. Does it cover another weekend?

If not, and you are keen to see the hurling, I'd say just go wherever the Munster Final is that weekend. The exact location will only be finalised as the teams progress, but you are probably talking about Semple Stadium in Thurles or the Gaelic Grounds in Limerick. Cork doesn't have a venue at the moment due to rebuilding, and Waterford and Clare don't have a suitable ground. Kerry have Killarney, which is possible, but it rarely goes there.

There is direct rail service between Dublin and Limerick or Thurles, so if you wanted to travel from Dublin to either location, that would be possible as well.

AZOffaly

For information the Munster draw is as follows

22nd May Tipperary v Cork in Thurles
5th June Waterford v Clare in Thurles
19th June Tipperary OR Cork v Limerick. The Venue will be Thurles if it is Tipperary v Limerick, and it will be the Gaelic Grounds in Limerick if it is Cork v Limerick.

Munster Final is down for the 10th of July as you say.
Looking at the fixtures, I would say the only way it would be in Limerick is if Tipperary qualify for the final, and play Clare. Waterford prefer Thurles. Clare prefer Thurles too I think, but the Gaelic Grounds sits right between Clare and Tipp, so it would make sense to be there.

If Cork or Limerick are in the final, then I'd imagine it will be Thurles.

seafoid

The munster final is unmissable.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

RoyFilm

This information is fantastic - thank you all so much.

It sounds like the Munster final will be a must-see. A bit difficult to set an itinerary, but we'll try to figure it out and keep our schedule as flexible as possible.

Will it be difficult to get tickets? From information I'm seeing online, tickets must be purchased from clubs. Does that mean they must be purchased in-person? Or are they available for purchase from a club's website?

I thought Kilkenny was a perennial favorite, but I know Tipperary has won many titles over the years as well. I know it's a long way off - and this may be a dangerous question to ask of die-hard fans - but what teams do you think will be favored?

Looking forward to the Munster final!
Roy

OgraAnDun

Quote from: RoyFilm on February 06, 2016, 01:57:43 AM

I thought Kilkenny was a perennial favorite, but I know Tipperary has won many titles over the years as well. I know it's a long way off - and this may be a dangerous question to ask of die-hard fans - but what teams do you think will be favored?

Roy

Kilkenny are brilliant in the All Ireland series but their record in the Munster Championship is diabolical. I'd put money on any of the other six teams ahead of them. Kerry have more chance of winning the Munster SHC in my opinion.

AZOffaly

Quote from: OgraAnDun on February 06, 2016, 02:59:59 PM

Roy

Kilkenny are brilliant in the All Ireland series but their record in the Munster Championship is diabolical. I'd put money on any of the other six teams ahead of them. Kerry have more chance of winning the Munster SHC in my opinion.

Actually about the same.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 06, 2016, 09:51:30 PM
Quote from: OgraAnDun on February 06, 2016, 02:59:59 PM

Roy

Actually about the same.

Forgot they went into Leinster. Back to the football boards for me!

AZOffaly

This information is fantastic - thank you all so much.

It sounds like the Munster final will be a must-see. A bit difficult to set an itinerary, but we'll try to figure it out and keep our schedule as flexible as possible.

Will it be difficult to get tickets? From information I'm seeing online, tickets must be purchased from clubs. Does that mean they must be purchased in-person? Or are they available for purchase from a club's website?

Roy

Clubs get allocated tickets, but for all games up to All Ireland finals, you should be able to buy tickets online, or in a Centra (convenience store).

As regards favourites, for the All Ireland Kilkenny will be favourites, but for Munster it will be much more open. All 5 teams would have realistic aims of winning the Munster title.

Unlaoised

Get yourself to Thurles for the hurling final it will be highlight of your Visit to this great country!
LAOIS ABÚ

seafoid

Quote from: Unlaoised on February 23, 2016, 10:39:48 AM
Get yourself to Thurles for the hurling final it will be highlight of your Visit to this great country!
agree

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peAFdYkxbVo
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

RoyFilm

Hello All,

Based on the info from AZOffaly below, it looks like the Munster final will most likely be held in Thurles. Can someone please let me know if this is incorrect? I have hotel reservations and we're ready for the Munster final. Just hope I can get tickets when they are released!

Thanks,
Roy from the States

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 21, 2016, 10:24:25 AM

19th June Tipperary OR Cork v Limerick. The Venue will be Thurles if it is Tipperary v Limerick, and it will be the Gaelic Grounds in Limerick if it is Cork v Limerick.

Looking at the fixtures, I would say the only way it would be in Limerick is if Tipperary qualify for the final, and play Clare. Waterford prefer Thurles. Clare prefer Thurles too I think, but the Gaelic Grounds sits right between Clare and Tipp, so it would make sense to be there.

T Fearon

Enjoy,but take the final score line on the board with a pinch of salt

AZOffaly

Quote from: RoyFilm on June 10, 2016, 04:12:27 AM
Hello All,

Based on the info from AZOffaly below, it looks like the Munster final will most likely be held in Thurles. Can someone please let me know if this is incorrect? I have hotel reservations and we're ready for the Munster final. Just hope I can get tickets when they are released!

Thanks,
Roy from the States

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 21, 2016, 10:24:25 AM

It will most likely be Thurles alright. if it isn't, don't panic. It should be easy to switch plans to Limerick. More accommodation in Limerick and also a direct line from Dublin as well.