Derryman forever

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 17, 2023, 11:33:19 AM
Quote from: Derryman forever on July 17, 2023, 10:56:26 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 17, 2023, 10:44:54 AM
Quote from: InnocentByStander on July 17, 2023, 10:35:43 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 17, 2023, 10:09:08 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on July 17, 2023, 09:52:44 AM
Quote from: Derryman forever on July 17, 2023, 09:38:16 AM
Regardless of the debate whether Ryans challenge was a foul, in the interest of protecting the player, was mc Quillan  obligated to stop play for a potential head injury?

That is a very valid point.

Yes he is but when players (not in this case) keep holding their heads at every 'tackle' it can be the a bit much to keep working out was he hit, how bad or where was it on the body.

In this particular incident, the ball was played across the pitch? so the position the keeper was in was natural enough? plus he was really reaching for it and collected it, the aftermath was worse than what I had thought though, but it wasn't a charge, I thought he caught the ball first and collided second.

It's all about opinions though, people want a physical game and when it suits them and non contact when it doesn't

You are one to talk, once gave a free for the best shoulder I've ever saw. Antrim twitter even posted it on their twitter feed it was that good.

But you somehow saw it as a free  ;D ;D

Again I'd focus on why you never won the game rather than the odd mistake, which I agreed with after seeing it ;D

You are rowing back here now.
All Derry supporters know we left thar game behind. Inspite of questionable decisions.
It does not change tge fact that refereeing is haphazard and inconsistent, not only from game to game but from end to end and incident to incident. And you have spent 24 hours telling us it is all in our heads, and team bias. It is not, it is in tge failure of the GAA to put structures in place to bring a team of, highly trained and standardised referees and umpires in place in every province. They have the money , just not the will.

My quote

"I actually watched this one and it could have been a free when I watched it multiple times, watching it live I didn't give it a second thought."

I'm not sure you know the referee training at inter county level goes on..

Give me your opinion on what they do and I'll fill in the blanks

They obviously are not doing enough, if Hurson called Mohan for contact  and  Ryan was not.
And that is only one irrefutable example.
Every other sport has managed to achieve a much higher level of consistency ,that is only a pipe dream for Gaelic.
I would refer you to Aussie rules for reference.

But if you are going to insist that there is enough being done , then why is Joe McQuillan still being given games at this level. He cant even stop a play for player welfare, the most basic of requirements for a referee i would have thought.

Lucifer

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 17, 2023, 10:49:34 AM
Why not play Downey for one of the corner forwards and bring him in front of Clifford. You weren't losing anything up front to be honest. I thought it was a tactical error, you knew that I'd u held Clifford they struggle. What u given to have J Brolly, one of the Bradleys up front to support McGuigan.

I don't think it's quite as simple as that.  Derry were trying to create overlapping runners and to afford Kerry a spare man (Morley) to stand back into the space where these runners were breaking into (McKinless and Rogers in the main) would have stifled Derry's attack significantly.  That's not to say Derry couldn't attempt to provide more protection or that the trade off in not doing it, was necessarily worth it.  However to just point to a particular forward who didn't have an impact and state they could have been forsaken in order to provide more cover for McKaigue on Clifford, is looking at something in isolation when there is a whole world of moving parts (I appreciate you haven't specifically stated this.) 

I've no doubt Meenagh/Derry considered it pre-game and even at times during the game but came to the conclusion the pay off in how they were attacking the game was worth it (Clifford had more impact in first half yet Derry were leading.)  The outcome always dictates the narrative, but it is very fine margins; a very strong arm from Shane Ryan or a very soft free to help change momentum for example!  Overall, for me, I think Derry got the balance right but just didn't mange to finish the job with the chances they had.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Derryman forever on July 17, 2023, 11:41:51 AM
Regardless of the debate whether Ryans challenge was a foul, in the interest of protecting the player, was mc Quillan  obligated to stop play for a potential head injury?

Yes he is but when players (not in this case) keep holding their heads at every 'tackle' it can be the a bit much to keep working out was he hit, how bad or where was it on the body.

In this particular incident, the ball was played across the pitch? so the position the keeper was in was natural enough? plus he was really reaching for it and collected it, the aftermath was worse than what I had thought though, but it wasn't a charge, I thought he caught the ball first and collided second.

It's all about opinions though, people want a physical game and when it suits them and non contact when it doesn't

You are one to talk, once gave a free for the best shoulder I've ever saw. Antrim twitter even posted it on their twitter feed it was that good.

Again I'd focus on why you never won the game rather than the odd mistake, which I agreed with after seeing it ;D

All Derry supporters know we left thar game behind. Inspite of questionable decisions.
It does not change tge fact that refereeing is haphazard and inconsistent, not only from game to game but from end to end and incident to incident. And you have spent 24 hours telling us it is all in our heads, and team bias. It is not, it is in tge failure of the GAA to put structures in place to bring a team of, highly trained and standardised referees and umpires in place in every province. They have the money , just not the will.

My quote

"I actually watched this one and it could have been a free when I watched it multiple times, watching it live I didn't give it a second thought."

They obviously are not doing enough, if Hurson called Mohan for contact  and  Ryan was not.
Every other sport has managed to achieve a much higher level of consistency ,that is only a pipe dream for Gaelic.

But if you are going to insist that there is enough being done , then why is Joe McQuillan still being given games at this level. He cant even stop a play for player welfare, the most basic of requirements for a referee i would have thought.

This is not a professional sport, don't refer me to a Aussie rules as I believe this is a professional sport like soccer, NFL and basketball and so on.

These ref's go to work on the Monday, they ain't heading to a training camp, and tell me were I insisted enough is being done? There are ones implying that nothing is being done, I've asked you what do you think they are doing?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Derryman forever

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 17, 2023, 11:46:44 AM

My quote

This is not a professional sport, don't refer me to a Aussie rules as I believe this is a professional sport like soccer, NFL and basketball and so on.

These ref's go to work on the Monday, they ain't heading to a training camp, and tell me were I insisted enough is being done? There are ones implying that nothing is being done, I've asked you what do you think they are doing?

You are missing the point absolutely.
There are funds available to train up a strong panel of Professional or semi professional referees. Don't be saying GAA is not professional it is for nany people.
A lot of people are making very good living from it and Referees are not being valued as they should be.
There should be a panel is lets sayv24 referees devoting their time to standardising the rules and the interpretation of them. That professionalism will filter down and become something for referees to aspire to.

Eire90

north_antrim_hound

My quote

Shane mc Guigan has to go to work to, the Refs job is to protect from thuggish behaviour that could lead to serious injury. CMK got  a yellow for something that couldn't be deemed as dangerous. Can you tell me as a Referee is it ok the tackle someone like that while off the ground so your making contact with his head.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

tonto1888

Quote from: Derryman forever on July 17, 2023, 11:53:53 AM

My quote

There are funds available to train up a strong panel of Professional or semi professional referees. Don't be saying GAA is not professional it is for nany people.
A lot of people are making very good living from it and Referees are not being valued as they should be.
There should be a panel is lets sayv24 referees devoting their time to standardising the rules and the interpretation of them. That professionalism will filter down and become something for referees to aspire to.

what funds are available

tonto1888

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on July 17, 2023, 12:37:03 PM

My quote

Shane mc Guigan has to go to work to, the Refs job is to protect from thuggish behaviour that could lead to serious injury. CMK got  a yellow for something that couldn't be deemed as dangerous. Can you tell me as a Referee is it ok the tackle someone like that while off the ground so your making contact with his head.

CMK got a yellow for persistent fouling. Not every yellow has to be for dangerous play

Milltown Row2

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on July 17, 2023, 12:37:03 PM

My quote

You obviously didn't read that on reflection after seeing it it was a foul...

The ref can only deal with the incident after it happens, so him going to work the next day has no bearing as the referee can't protect the player from being hurt. I'm interested in how this works? Does the ref physically stop the player before the foul
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: tonto1888 on July 17, 2023, 12:45:00 PM
Quote from: Derryman forever on July 17, 2023, 11:53:53 AM

My quote

what funds are available

So lets say a referee is on a six figure wage in his own job, you are saying the GAA is going to train up and professionalize referee's and cover their costs?

Sign me up

Derryman forever

I believe  there are ways of doing so. Currently available funds and future funds.
Logos on referees strips ?
How much is GAA GO earning now?
There is great potential to expand that.

But why would it have to be 6 figure?
If you don't want to take the opportunity you dont have to plenty of people would  grab it.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Derryman forever on July 17, 2023, 01:16:00 PM
I believe  there are ways of doing so. Currently available funds and future funds.
Logos on referees strips ?
How much is GAA GO earning now?
There is great potential to expand that.

But why would it have to be 6 figure?
If you don't want to take the opportunity you dont have to plenty of people would  grab it.

Would you not want the best? Or just plenty of people to 'grab' it

Go to your club officials and purpose that to them to bring up at the next county AGM for a motion to Croke park, if its popular then it could get voted through.

At the minute with online abuse and people running on to the pitch to assault referee's its becoming an impossible task and no amount of money will solve that I feel

Flanker

Quote from: redzone on July 17, 2023, 10:28:17 AM
Quote from: Derryman forever on July 17, 2023, 10:24:12 AM

Wise up.
You are making a fool of yourself.
The referee had unobstructed vision from less than 20 yards.

Mcguigan is great at inviting contact and getting the free. He had plenty of time to put his hands up to protect himself but he tryed to take one for the team. Joe didn't buy it. And rightly so

So putting your hand up was going to protect yourself.

This was a 13-14 stone man coming full pelt.

The only way you were going to protect yourself was to get the hands up and forcibly push him to the side which would more than likely have resulted in fairly heavy fall

Would Shane have seen yellow or red for doing this

More than likely

RedHand88