Westminster Election 12th December 2019

Started by Ambrose, October 29, 2019, 02:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Applesisapples on December 12, 2019, 01:06:55 PM
Michelle O'Neill is a vote loser, talks too fast and is incoherent at best.

She doesn't talk - she whines & whinges.

Which is absolutely the wrong thing to project.
i usse an speelchekor

Keyser soze

Michelle looks like she is about to burst out laughing every time she speaks. Which of course isn't her fault as it's the way she looks but i find it mildly disconcerting and it distracts from what she is saying.

She is the polar opposite of Ben Lowry in this regard as he looks* like he is perpetually on the verge of tears.

* Ben may indeed be perpetually on the verge of bursting into tears such is his frustration and rage that unionism is no longer the unchallenged top dog. 

johnnycool

The twitterati are ranting about a #youthquake

Not entirely convinced by twitter as it's very much an echo chamber.

Is there any truth in this?

Some reported (young) people being turned away from #PollingStations because they didn't have ID.

That is bollocks.

YOU DO NOT NEED ANYTHING TO VOTE, NO ID OR EVEN POLLING CARD.

Make sure you go and #Vote. #GE2019

I needed photo ID, is this just a Norn Iron thing?

naka

Nationalism has a problem and even though demographics are trending towards a nationalist majority neither SF nor the SDLP are making ground. Alliance seem to be mopping ups that younger vote, so a UI is fading. Michelle O'Neill is a vote loser, talks too fast and is incoherent at best. O'Dowd would have been a better bet. The SDLP on the other hand despite the obvious ability of Eastwood can't stop coming across as Uncle Tom's.
tbf conor murphy is the natural leader of the shinners but for whatever reason he has been sidelined.
they need him leading as he is articulate and can easily defend his position without resorting the rancour.
sdlp might do better than we think in this election purely as a wake up call to the shinners not to take their electorate or granted

trailer

Quote from: johnnycool on December 12, 2019, 04:09:43 PM

Some reported (young) people being turned away from #PollingStations because they didn't have ID.

That is bollocks.

You need ID. End of story.

bennydorano

That is bollocks.

Photo id is an NI thing ok, heard gurns about the Tories planning to introduce it UK wide back in the Autumn. You actually don't need id to vote in GB, mad!

bennydorano

Quote from: naka on December 12, 2019, 04:14:28 PM
Nationalism has a problem and even though demographics are trending towards a nationalist majority neither SF nor the SDLP are making ground. Alliance seem to be mopping ups that younger vote, so a UI is fading. Michelle O'Neill is a vote loser, talks too fast and is incoherent at best. O'Dowd would have been a better bet. The SDLP on the other hand despite the obvious ability of Eastwood can't stop coming across as Uncle Tom's.
tbf conor murphy is the natural leader of the shinners but for whatever reason he has been sidelined.
they need him leading as he is articulate and can easily defend his position without resorting the rancour.
sdlp might do better than we think in this election purely as a wake up call to the shinners not to take their electorate or granted

He was found guilty of discrimination in 2012 in choosing a new Chair for NI Water while a minister. I remember thinking he was destined for the top myself, but i think he was starting to get sidelined a bit even before this.

trailer

Quote from: naka on December 12, 2019, 04:14:28 PM

I certainly get the feeling the that SF in some constituencies will get a hit. If SF hold or even only lose one seat I think that can be called a very good election for them.

seafoid

This is the core Tory strategy

Win about 50 Labour seats in the North of England and the English Midlands

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/11/11/brexit-partys-decision-could-do-polls/
"The case for the Tories winning a landslide on Dec 12 is that Brexit trumps party loyalty as the main driver of voter motivation by a ratio of two to one, and that 63 per cent of constituencies voted to leave the EU in 2016."

But Labour have been fighting back

https://twitter.com/hatsandbackchat/status/1204771837055508485
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

yellowcard

Odds on a hung parliament shortening all the time today, could the polls have been wrong again.

seafoid

Quote from: yellowcard on December 12, 2019, 05:30:26 PM
Odds on a hung parliament shortening all the time today, could the polls have been wrong again.
The polls were manipulated again
A hung Parliament would reflect the status of the country 3 and a half years after the referendum.

weareros

Nationalism could do with a more centrist party, a FG type party if you will (the social democrat wing). The younger generations are not interested so much in Marxist ideology and the like. SF were every bit as anti EU as the Unionists. Need something a bit more modern, pro-business, pro-global, that reflects the modern world. Probably will never happen but there's an opportunity for nationalism to step into that space but it won't happen with SF and SDLP and now risk ceding it to Alliance.

AZOffaly

Quote from: bennydorano on December 12, 2019, 04:27:58 PM

That is bollocks.

Photo id is an NI thing ok, heard gurns about the Tories planning to introduce it UK wide back in the Autumn. You actually don't need id to vote in GB, mad!

You don't need ID to vote in GB? Surely you at least need a voting card? Jaysus if not, Sinn Fein could have won an overall majority in GB just running candidates and bringing buses around the country :)

marty34

Quote from: RedHand88 on December 12, 2019, 12:53:19 PM
When Colum and Claire go to westminister and don't stop Brexit for the north will westminister be exposed as a myth for nationalists?

That's the point I would have - Colm always talking about he will stop Brexit.  If elected, and I think he'll win and Brexit goes ahead in whatever form, he'll have egg on his face.

seafoid

If it's a hung Parliament 2 Remainers could be the difference between a Hard Brexit with chlorinated chicken for everyone in NI and no Brexit at all. 2 Shinners abstaining would not be as effective.