Should Roy Keane be the next Ireland manager?

Started by CorkMan, June 18, 2012, 05:27:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should Roy Keane be the next Ireland manager?

Yes
No

ballinaman

Applesisapples

There is some truth in what Keane was saying about the players, if it had been all about winning rather than taking part then Given, Dunne and O'Shea would have declared themselves unfit. They didn't because they want to have this as their swan song. Trappatoni though must also take the blame because he had ulitmate responsibility. He is a stubborn man set in his ways. Roy Keane could never manage Ireland in my opinion because of the politics within the FAI. The wouldn't want to cede the control Keane would demand. I think the jury is out on Keane's abilities as a manager he did do well with Sunderland initially. But he's a multi millionaire hardly needs the job therfore when it gets hard he leaves, if memory serves me well King Kenny has done like wise.

NAG1

Everybody keeps saying that he walked away on Ireland very few have mentioned the reasons why he walked away or why he stood up for the players rights against the suits in FAI. Its convenient to call him a mad man and an eejit who walked out on a world cup rather than to face the facts that the FAI are amateur in the extreme.

If the players that remained were happy to put up with the show the way it was then it says more about them that it does about Roy's drive and passion to be a professional and to be a winner.

Clown

The rest of the team performed admirably in a good world cup finals campaign
Roy stated years later it was a big regret of his

More fool him

thewobbler

I'd like Brian Kerr back.

Ireland first and foremost need a manager who'll apply rigid system, a coach. The players just aren't there to go toe-to-toe with the leading nations.

Kerr would do this with more grace and knowledge than Trap, and for considerably less money.

Bingo

Quote from: thewobbler on June 21, 2012, 01:49:08 PM
I'd like Brian Kerr back.

Ireland first and foremost need a manager who'll apply rigid system, a coach. The players just aren't there to go toe-to-toe with the leading nations.

Kerr would do this with more grace and knowledge than Trap, and for considerably less money.

Seriously?

supersarsfields

Quote from: NAG1 on June 21, 2012, 01:36:01 PM
Everybody keeps saying that he walked away on Ireland very few have mentioned the reasons why he walked away or why he stood up for the players rights against the suits in FAI. Its convenient to call him a mad man and an eejit who walked out on a world cup rather than to face the facts that the FAI are amateur in the extreme.

If the players that remained were happy to put up with the show the way it was then it says more about them that it does about Roy's drive and passion to be a professional and to be a winner.

Look some people will see it as you have put above.
Others will see it as Keane throwing the toys out of the pram because everything wasn't the way he wanted it and his ego couldn't take it. And that the other players should be respected because they had the passion to play for the country and didn't walk out on despite any problems (Or perceived problems).

I tend to think it's somewhere in between. But it's been done to death.

thewobbler

Very seriously.

Even though the press would have you believe that McClean, McCarthy, Coleman and Hoolahan are an upgrade on what went to the Euros, in truth, they're still below the level required. For the foreseeable future, Ireland will not compete at international level unless their whole is greater than their individual parts. We need a coach first and foremost, not a media whore, not a motivator, not an angry man.

AZOffaly

But we had Kerr before, and it wasn't exactly a resounding success. His teams played with fear, and threw away a load of leads by retreating into their shell, and being unable to defend properly. Edit, this is not an endorsement of Roy Keane to be the next manager.

thewobbler

Taken from somewhere else:

It is an interesting footnote that Brian Kerr has the best win ratio of any Irish manager (with the exception of Alan Kelly Snr who only managed for one match). Kerr also has the best loss ratio. His problem was that he simply drew too many competitive games i.e. 50%.

He did only lose 4 games in 33 for Ireland. Trap has nearly done that in the past month!

From my perspective, I was critical of Kerr when he was in charge, but I always got the feeling he was trying to get the foundations in place for better football, when better players came along.

Billys Boots

Quote from: thewobbler on June 21, 2012, 02:07:03 PM
Taken from somewhere else:

It is an interesting footnote that Brian Kerr has the best win ratio of any Irish manager (with the exception of Alan Kelly Snr who only managed for one match). Kerr also has the best loss ratio. His problem was that he simply drew too many competitive games i.e. 50%.

He did only lose 4 games in 33 for Ireland. Trap has nearly done that in the past month!

From my perspective, I was critical of Kerr when he was in charge, but I always got the feeling he was trying to get the foundations in place for better football, when better players came along.

I'd be inclined to agree with you - Kerr was first and foremost a coach, and a good one. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Applesisapples

Declan

QuoteThere is some truth in what Keane was saying about the players, if it had been all about winning rather than taking part then Given, Dunne and O'Shea would have declared themselves unfit. They didn't because they want to have this as their swan song. Trappatoni though must also take the blame because he had ulitmate responsibility. He is a stubborn man set in his ways. Roy Keane could never manage Ireland in my opinion because of the politics within the FAI. The wouldn't want to cede the control Keane would demand. I think the jury is out on Keane's abilities as a manager he did do well with Sunderland initially. But he's a multi millionaire hardly needs the job therfore when it gets hard he leaves, if memory serves me well King Kenny has done like wise.

Excellent post

Agree re Kerr as well - a fantastic coach