Mark Sidebottom

Started by thewobbler, May 28, 2011, 10:25:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haranguerer

Quote from: All of a Sludden on August 05, 2012, 05:26:02 PM
You could turn over to TV3

Ffs, you dont really think we just watch it for the craic? Cant get network 2 or tv3 in belfast unless have package

NaomhBridAbú

Oisin is excellent and oddly makes a decent foil for mark. Cavanagh is getting better. prefer to see him doing his talking when his playing days are over.
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

DuffleKing

Jesus, cavanagh is brutal. You'd wonder how players at the level he is could have such a poor appreciation of the game tactically as well.

borderfox

I can usually just about listen to Sidey but today I had to turn it over to TV3 and a worse picture. Cringeworthy stuff in the extreme. His patter about Wyatt Earp and the OK coral was without doubt the worst piece of commentary I have ever heard.  Brutal and made my hangover manifest itself  into a fit of angst. Terrible commentator.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

haranguerer

Quote from: DuffleKing on August 05, 2012, 08:26:21 PM

Jesus, cavanagh is brutal. You'd wonder how players at the level he is could have such a poor appreciation of the game tactically as well.

Probably because he never has an appreciation of what is going in round him on the pitch. He thinks its the sean cavanagh show, and probably thinks the same now hes in a studio ffs.

chocoholic

I wrote down a few of his clinkers today and i'll stick them up but thought this sums him up completely:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcUQyIZicRw

He annoys me soooooooo much but I feel compelled to listen to his shite!!  More the fool me.

RealSpiritof98

agree with mopst of above, but what really pisses me off is his constant portrayal that ''its over'' when a team goes 4 points up, theres 20 minutes to go you f**king idiot,

theticklemister

Quote from: chocoholic on August 06, 2012, 12:48:30 AM
I wrote down a few of his clinkers today and i'll stick them up but thought this sums him up completely:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcUQyIZicRw

He annoys me soooooooo much but I feel compelled to listen to his shite!!  More the fool me.

Hahaah that is shocking lol!!!!!!!!

Compare the pic at the end of mark mcHugh and look at the size of him now!!! Massive difference

Scarface

Apres Match - "Discussion on Radio Ulster regarding qualifiers, Adrian McGuckian rightly says Down will be hopin for Mayo, Sidebottom says Down will be hoping for Laois in the next round......awkward silence!!!"

Sidebottom got one right then as Down would have been better off looking for Laois than getting obliterated by the Mayo men....:)

5 Sams

Quote from: Scarface on August 07, 2012, 02:21:14 PM
Apres Match - "Discussion on Radio Ulster regarding qualifiers, Adrian McGuckian rightly says Down will be hopin for Mayo, Sidebottom says Down will be hoping for Laois in the next round......awkward silence!!!"

Sidebottom got one right then as Down would have been better off looking for Laois than getting obliterated by the Mayo men....:)

Whoops!!!
The Aristocrat Years

chocoholic

I don't get it.

chocoholic

Here's a wee list from what I remember listening to Sidebottom on Sunday.  He must sit up to all hours thinking these alliterations  and phrases up.  Probably more the saddo me for writing them down but sure here's a few of what I thought were part of the cringefest commentary:

"He's been as cool as the Atlantic drift".

Re: Jack O'Connor, "If this was the OK Corral, we know who has blinked first and it's not Wyatt Earp McGuinness".

"It could come back to haunt them like Banshee from the Kingdom".

"Toye by name and he really is toying with them".

"This year, Donegal have been playing Chess while everyone have been playing Draughts".

"It's not over until........ (pause) ................" - Sidebottom. "It's over" - Óisín McConville.

McConville says "Donegal are starting to wobble".  Sidebottom replies, "Donegal are starting to wobble".

His worst by far was this:

Sidebottom: Gooch not at his game today.
McConville: The ball's not going into him at all.
Sidebottom: Well then I would say that he should go out and look for it then.
McConville: I'm sure Jack O'Connor wouldn't want him out rummaging around midfield, they need him up front feeding off good quality ball"
Sidebottom: Right enough, you're 100%.

5 Sams

Quote from: chocoholic on August 07, 2012, 04:57:43 PM

I don't get it.

It was impossible for Down to get Laois Choc...
The Aristocrat Years

screenmachine

I've heard that much shite from Sidebottom that I don't even know if he said this at the weekend or if I made it up but did he make some reference after someone had kicked a point referring to them as, 'He's as cool as a cruise going up the Mississippi' or something along those lines.  I don't even know where I would start to imagine where or what inspired him to say that.  As cool as a cucumber, as cold as ice, ice running through his veins - anything at all like that and it would be grand and not dwelled upon, but no he has to be as cool as a cruise going up the Mississipi.  When I think of Mississipi I think of floods, alligators and Gene Hackman!?!

I have to admit the chess one got me, he kept bringing it up and McConville just kept blanking him.  I think he even asked him at one stage, you have to accept my analogy of Donegal playing chess...

It's a sorry state of affairs when the best bit of BBC commentary is when McConville says nothing after Sidebottom, just sits there and then Sidebottom just has to amble back into general commentary until the next load of horse dung falls from his mouth.
I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.

chocoholic

Quote from: 5 Sams on August 08, 2012, 11:34:16 AM
Quote from: chocoholic on August 07, 2012, 04:57:43 PM

I don't get it.

It was impossible for Down to get Laois Choc...

Ahhhhh. :-D A sidebottom moment for me there too then!!

Screen, he definitely used "he's been as cool as the Atlantic drift", which incidentally isn't cool.  It's actually a warm current which sweeps past Ireland and keeps us warm in the winter as far as I remember!!