The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grounded

Anyway a very interesting read. It does touch on a number of topics including bio banding in youth rugby.
        Lots of questions in the article about changing from a collission based to an evasion based sport but no real suggestions on how to get there. Still excellent food for thought.

Insane Bolt

Rugby needs to make itself smaller, weaker and less dangerous
Once famously a game for all shapes and sizes, that is quite clearly no longer the case

It's still all shapes and sizes....Liam Williams MOM on Saturday.....rugby is far more athletic now, and fitness levels are far greater.....but I don't think there is much difference in player size now than say 20 plus years ago....with the odd exception.

grounded

Quote from: Insane Bolt on February 25, 2019, 02:19:04 PM

Once famously a game for all shapes and sizes, that is quite clearly no longer the case

It's still all shapes and sizes....Liam Williams MOM on Saturday.....rugby is far more athletic now, and fitness levels are far greater.....but I don't think there is much difference in player size now than say 20 plus years ago....with the odd exception.

You can get the actual link from this article. They have definitely changed in particular the height and weight of the backs.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.joe.ie/amp/sport/graph-bigger-is-better-check-out-how-the-size-of-rugby-players-has-changed-in-the-last-40-years-434067

Hound

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 25, 2019, 01:54:09 PM
Quote from: grounded on February 25, 2019, 01:49:43 PM
Is this a misprint?

, after the death of 18-year-old Stade Francais academy player Nicolas Chauvin, it bluntly outlined the reality.
•   Boxing needs a single, unified world heavyweight champion
•   League of Ireland should appreciate what it is – not fret about what it isn't
•   Something cringey about recent evidence of unbearable 'Corkness' of Cork
Probably embedded links to other stories, picked up in the cut n paste.

For someone whose job on this board revolves around copying and pasting, he's feckin brutal at it!

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Hound on February 25, 2019, 03:37:02 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 25, 2019, 01:54:09 PM
Quote from: grounded on February 25, 2019, 01:49:43 PM
Is this a misprint?

, after the death of 18-year-old Stade Francais academy player Nicolas Chauvin, it bluntly outlined the reality.
•   Boxing needs a single, unified world heavyweight champion
•   League of Ireland should appreciate what it is – not fret about what it isn't
•   Something cringey about recent evidence of unbearable 'Corkness' of Cork
Probably embedded links to other stories, picked up in the cut n paste.

For someone whose job on this board revolves around copying and pasting, he's feckin brutal at it!
;D

AZOffaly

Ah here, there's a difference between 10 years ago.

Insane Bolt

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 25, 2019, 05:02:23 PM

Really....well for debate purposes.....Ireland 2009 backs...Kearney, Horgan, D'Arcy, O'Driscoll, Bowe, Sexton, O'Leary.......2019....Kearney, Earls, Stockdale, Aki, Henshaw, Stockdale, Sexton, Murray.

oakleaflad

Quote from: Insane Bolt on February 25, 2019, 05:13:03 PM

Really....well for debate purposes.....Ireland 2009 backs...Kearney, Horgan, D'Arcy, O'Driscoll, Bowe, Sexton, O'Leary.......2019....Kearney, Earls, Stockdale, Aki, Henshaw, Stockdale, Sexton, Murray.
I think that only helps to prove yourself wrong. Only Horgan would be bigger than the equivalent today (Earls)? There's a big difference at 12 and 13 especially.

Insane Bolt

Quote from: oakleaflad on February 25, 2019, 05:18:50 PM
Quote from: Insane Bolt on February 25, 2019, 05:13:03 PM

I think that only helps to prove yourself wrong. Only Horgan would be bigger than the equivalent today (Earls)? There's a big difference at 12 and 13 especially.

Aki would be a stone heavier than O'Driscoll...Henshaw  the exception 4 inches taller and 10kg heavier.
What about the likes of Liam Williams of Wales and All Black Damian McKenzie?
Anyway have to agree that the likes of Sockdale would have been a second row in my day.....way back in black and white 😜

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 28, 2019, 09:59:28 AM
  http://www.ticketmaster.ie/clubpresale   

World Cup warmup games if anyone wants to buy.
How do you select kids ticket separately? I have tried to buy 2 adults and 2 kids but all 4 are coming up full price?

seafoid

They had a good few injuries this year.
Last year not so much
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

screenexile

Talk about your massive over reactions over a couple of indifferent performances!!!

GetOverTheBar

Any thoughts on Ireland being purposely undercooked with the coming months ahead? I'd say they aren't too worried.