The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bannside on February 15, 2019, 10:57:45 PM
Cooney must be in the mix somewhere too

Cooney is a far better player than Carberry
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

Cooney definitely top class and If he'd been to the Leinster Academy they would raving about him. I'd say in international terms he would be level with Joey and both a notch behind Sexton who is world class, but needs to show that class in the autumn of 2019. The other two both massive squad additions as the likelihood is the position will be rotated between the 3 of them. Could Cooney go to 15 after Rob Kearney is finished? I'd say he could play anywhere.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: bannside on February 16, 2019, 10:12:01 AM
Cooney definitely top class and If he'd been to the Leinster Academy they would raving about him. I'd say in international terms he would be level with Joey and both a notch behind Sexton who is world class, but needs to show that class in the autumn of 2019. The other two both massive squad additions as the likelihood is the position will be rotated between the 3 of them. Could Cooney go to 15 after Rob Kearney is finished? I'd say he could play anywhere.

Cooney was at Leinster pre Connacht BS.

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: Walter Cronc on February 16, 2019, 10:28:26 AM
Quote from: bannside on February 16, 2019, 10:12:01 AM

Cooney was at Leinster pre Connacht BS.
Yep was with Leinster from 2011 to 2014 then went on loan to Connacht before signing permanently with them

bannside

Cheers lads. Didn't know that.

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 15, 2019, 07:42:30 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on February 15, 2019, 03:50:09 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 15, 2019, 01:13:01 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on February 15, 2019, 09:26:40 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 12, 2019, 04:36:12 PM
Quote from: screenexile on February 12, 2019, 03:17:11 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on February 12, 2019, 02:35:40 PM
Quote from: screenexile on February 12, 2019, 01:46:52 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on February 12, 2019, 01:06:26 PM
Jeez I dunno about the holding back lads.

Can you really do that in professional sport??

I'd say you can but it's a big risk!! Dublin are doing it at the minute.

Bit of a difference in the National League and 6 nations  ;D

It's not really though the team has already won a few championships and Grand Slams so while most years it is important this time it isn't really. Semi Final is the making or breaking of this team!!

Their intent is to win every game but I think we will see a modified game plan for the World Cup, JS is not revealing his hand. Whereas Eddie Jones had to go for it or he would have been out of a job. I actually think Wales as well are not revealing their full hand.

Still the 6 nations is compelling as always.

As an aside I think Ireland need Joey Carberry to continue his growth and usurp Sexton for Ireland to have a real chance.

Interesting Dinny. I've suspected this for a while myself but when I've suggested it to others who know more about rugby than I do I've been laughed out of it. I think Sexton's performances have dipped for a while now.

Time waits for no man, Sexton good player, good control but plays on the line and pays the price with his body. We are guilty in this country of keeping our sporting hero's around past their sell by date. Carberry plays on the line too as do all Leinster schooled 10s but his range of passing is superior and his eye for a gap much better, he if can get more control and better defensively while improving his out of hand kicking he will offer more than Sexton.

People are afraid of change, why was Carberry sent to Munster by JS. Part of a bigger picture, bigger plan. If Sexton is our only option in the WC we won't make it past the quarters.

Sexton faced similar issues when up against O'Gara.

O'Gara was the safe pair of hands who controlled the game with his kicking but lacked that bit of vision with the ball in his hands. He'd been there and worn the teeshirt though and the bright, young thing in Sexton had to wait his time to win the No. 10 jersey.

Post WC, I can see Carbery as first choice.

Ahead of Jackson?  :-X

Who?  8)

Rudi

No bodder to Wales. Some catch for the try.

Insane Bolt

Quote from: Rudi on February 23, 2019, 06:33:38 PM

Wales deserved to win....great intensity.

Rudi

Quote from: Insane Bolt on February 23, 2019, 06:39:35 PM

The stats would say so too.

Capt Pat

It gives Ireland a chance now. Bonus point win against Italy tomorrow will set us up nicely for the final two games.

Insane Bolt

Quote from: Rudi on February 23, 2019, 06:51:53 PM
Quote from: Insane Bolt on February 23, 2019, 06:39:35 PM

The stats would say so too.

The John Terry team talk did the job😂

screenexile

Do we think this will stop the anti Rory Best brigade?? Cronin is having a mare here!!

We'll get the bonus point win but it's far from professional!

lynchbhoy

Forward pass. But italy given the try.

This 6N is worse than ever for forward passes.

Insane Bolt

screenexile

Murray has made some very simple errors getting robbed too one leading to a try and the other probably costing us one!